prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2018 Mid-Ohio Super Tour
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:00 am 

Shaping up to be a nice field, especially in FP. Registration closes this Friday, so get in if you're still thinking about it! Really looking forward to this; first race back as a resident of Ohio again. I still need to get the car back together and running! :shock:

E Production - 7 ENTRIES
11 - Alspach, Phil - 1983 Mazda RX-7- tcr GROUP TIRE SERVICES/WEYLAND CORP - BUILDING BETTER WORLDS - Columbus, OH
18 - Wise, Keith - 2005 Mazda RX-8 - Auto Inovations - Newark, OH
38 - Savage, David - 1993 Honda Prelude SI - KoteQuip - Alto, MI
39 - Scott, Jud - Porsche 944s2 - Scott cpa - La Vergne, TN
63 - Moser, Joe - 1993 Honda Prelude - Hoosier/King Motorsports/Moser Racing - Wilmette, IL
77 - Albright, Jason - 1984 Mazda RX7 - Design Fuel Graphics, HIPPI Racing - Clayton, OH
83 - Halkias, Sam - 1975 Triumph TR6 - Catawba island Marina/Halkias Performance Services - Westerville, OH

F Production - 10 ENTRIES
5 - Walker, John - 1965 Lotus Super 7 - Walker Racing/CarboTech/Hoosier Tire/Mobil 1 - Richland, MI
9 - Campbell, Charlie - 1993 Mazda Miata - Campbell Brothers Racing/Jesse Prather Mtrspts/ Hoosier/Carbotech Brakes - Corry, PA
17 - Alderson, Ken - 1971 Opel GT - Westlake, OH
28 - Strittmatter, David - 1976 Lancia Scorpion - Hoosier Tire - Akron, OH
31 - Haynes, Rick - MG Midget - Midwest Motor Sports - Hebron, OH
47 - Bednarz, David - 1993 Mazda Miata - Dynomax Performance Exhaust - Ann Arbor, MI
52 - Workman, Mason - 1992 Mazda Miata - Hoosier / Planet Miata / Mazdaspeed - Canal Winchester, OH
55 - Simaras, James - 1994 Mazda Miata - Maszk Motorsports - Lisbon, WI
69 - Gallagher, Larry - Acura Integra - Moe's Original BBQ Granville Ohio - CTL Engineering - Thornville, OH
73 - Ruck, Kevin - 1990 Acura Integra - Hoosier/Honda/Hawk/Hasport/SloMo - Worthington, OH

H Production - 6 ENTRIES
06 - Camilleri, Joe - 1976 Volkswagen Scirocco - Blue Car Design, Hoosier - Toronto, ON
10 - Vickerman, Eric - 1960 Austin Healey Sprite - The Vickerman Gang - Howell, MI
27 - MacQueen, Michael - 1972 MG Midget - Oulipo Racing - University Park, MD
37 - Stine, Jason - 1961 Austin Healey Sprite - Hoosier/Red Line Oil/Six Shooter Coffee/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Taylor Race Engineering - Broadview Heights, OH
54 - Hileman, Daryl - 1985 Volkswagen Scirrocco - Baltimore, OH
88 - Hileman, Scott - Volkswagen Gti - Best one tire, Hoosier, hawk - johnstown, OH

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 am 

Strange that OVR pulls B-Spec into our group. At the 2017 event a very quick quick glance shows the overall/EP winner went through the speed trap at ~131 mph a few times. The winning B-Spec car reached ~104 mph for a difference of a mere 27 mph. Likewise the leading B-SPec quick time was 14 seconds slower than the quickest time of the group. The leading B-SPec finished two laps down to the overall winner. I know of one incident that happened during the race that involved a B-Spec and two faster cars, not sure if there were more during the weekend.

At one time OVR grouped EP/FP with GT2/GT3. It was challenging for both groups because of the closing speed on the backstraight (similar to the example above). The "tribal knowledge" that you gain from racing in the same group often (understanding the tendencies of other drivers) was lost because we never raced together. It was also a little disheartening to know that my race was going to be at least 2 laps shorter than the overall leader.

Am I the only one with concerns?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:32 am 

Mason Workman wrote:

No, you're not, and you're also right that it cause a pretty big tangle last year.

But what else do you do with them? You're only options are to stick them into the Prod/GTL group or the ST/T group. Prod/GTL currently has 25 cars entered, and ST/T has 23, so not much difference there, while B-Spec has 8 cars to bring into either. If your issue is top speed difference, the T2 cars are faster than the EP cars, and the STU cars are just as fast as the EP cars. Point is, they'll suck to have in either group. At least in the ST/T group, they'll be with other DOT-shod cars, but that's also my homer "not in my backyard" point of view.

Of FP's 11 entries, there's four past Runoffs winners and seven that ran in the top 10 at some point during last years Runoffs. That's awesome.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 am 

SM = 25 entries, DOT tires and these groups have run together in the past.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:46 am 

SM refuses to play with anyone else, nd they bring the numbers so National won't mess with them.

This whole B-spec in small bore slicks group is a national 'directive' and I've brought it up in the past. In the end I was told to shut up and race..

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:51 am 

Or shut up and don't race.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:16 am 

FWIW - Of the HST and Majors events that I have participated in over the last three years in the Northern/Northeast conferences, they have been grouped with SM with exception to my home race/region OVR.

I'm not starting another piss on SCCA thread, simply curious how this decision is made.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:36 am 

The BS in small bore slicks decision was made by Topeka. They have been grouped with small bore slicks for all Super Tour races since Mid 2017.

I was the victim of this poor choice (coupled with several other poor choices) at MO in 2017. The racer that initiated the wreck did so while driving with one hand and flipping the bird out the window. They did that in my wreck and they did it again a couple laps later to Mason. All caught on multiple videos. They were given a meaningless penalty.

The combination of unsafe groupings and poor stewarding should keep any sane person away from this or any similar event. Its as Lauda said in Rush. You accept a certain percentage of risk (based on the nature of racing), but not the extra risk that poor race organization/stewardship creates.

I had been vocally opposing the grouping of BS with us for a while prior to my wreck. In 2016 BS was grouped with us in Divisional Majors, but not in Super Tour events. At some point in 2017 (without any announcement) they were moved in with us at Super Tour events. For Divisional Majors in 2018 BS was moved out of Small Bore Slicks. It's a CF.

I love Mid Ohio, but I doubt I'll be going back.

-Kyle

PS: after the BS wreck, the EV crew further damaged my car and neither the SCCA nor and Mid Ohio would take responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 pm 

Mason Workman wrote:
Strange that OVR pulls B-Spec into our group.

This goes to the fact that the same car can compete in T1 and T2. Therefore, a region has to split those classes into two different groups. If T2 ran with T1 (which it should), then BSpec could run with its other DOT shod brethren. But regions want two entries for one driver. So there you go......

WMR normally has T2 with T1 until somebody asks us to split it out. My feeling is that if you can afford to run a T1 or T2 car, you can afford to make a couple extra races to qualify your car in two classes for the dance.

Dayle

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:22 am 

[quote="Dayle Frame"WMR normally has T2 with T1 until somebody asks us to split it out. My feeling is that if you can afford to run a T1 or T2 car, you can afford to make a couple extra races to qualify your car in two classes for the dance.
Dayle[/quote]

WOW, Dayle we agree on something. We have a big spender over here with two Porsche GT1 and GT2. Duh you know what happens, put the GT2 in with by comparison slow DOT cars. Talk about CLOSING SPEED!!!

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14