prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 2018 June Sprints
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 am 

Anyone have any info on the test day from years past?

time, sessions, appx. cars?

RA said they wouldn't have much info on format until next week at the earliest - the test day advance pricing closes Wednesday next week I think...

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:42 am 

Generally they use the same schedule as the event, in terms of run groups and car classing. it is also generally 2 sessions.

We have been trying to get them to adjust groupings based on entries, and then offer either longer, or more sessions. it sound like they might be doing this.

Worst case, you will get 2 sessions, and it will be sorted per the sprints schedule for run groups

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:18 am 

Let us know if you hear anything.

They wouldn't pony up any information over the phone or even comment on the old format.

$355 for 2 sessions is steep!

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm 

I was sent a schedule

Tentatively each group gets (2) 35 min sessions. Grouping is similar to sanctioned event groups.

Prod/GTL is mixed in with the touring and ST classes however.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:25 am 

Scott, I found these paddock space parking maps from 2012. Are the parking space numberings still valid?
Thanks, Peter

http://junesprints.com/wp-content/uploa ... gInfo1.pdf

#45 GTLite Nissan 200SX
2008 GTLite Nat'l Champ
2009 "Got my butt kicked"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 am 

Is the test day fee really $355? That's more than the discounted entry fee for our SEDiv Double SARRC/Majors at Roebling Road on June 30th. Discounted entry fee is only $350. And that entry fee includes all the ice cream and bottled water you want, toys for the kids, boxed dinner Sat night with live entertainment and trophies with action on track photos of your car.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:48 am 

Right, but is that track run as a corporation by a large board of directors and named Road America?

I've seen the financials behind renting RA (back when I was head of Competition committee). The $355 is inline with my expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:36 am 

peterzekert wrote:
Scott, I found these paddock space parking maps from 2012. Are the parking space numberings still valid?
Thanks, Peter

http://junesprints.com/wp-content/uploa ... gInfo1.pdf

Its possible, I've run the July vintage event for quite a few years and different maps have been distributed. I've also seen different revisions of SCCA's maps.

The rows and areas should be applicable, but the finite spots may be different.

#38 EP BMW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:14 pm 

parking maps were up in motorsports reg. Everyone who registered got the same spots as last year unless they asked for something different. Everyone new picked a spot, and I'm not sure how the communication worked, since I am not really involved this year.

As for the test day. It is run 100% by road America. it used to be 250, and when they started doing 2 sessions total, they lost a lot of entries. They raised the price to compensate, and don't seem to grasp that it is a snake eating it's own tail.

Higher fee's = less entries. Less track time = less entries. (kind of like the majors......)

As I said, we suggested they break it down to fewer groups (like 4) and give way more track time.

I think I even suggested 2 groups, open wheel and closed wheel, with 90 minute sessions. That might not work with the car mix we have, but you could do 3 groups with hour sessions easily enough and safely enough, provided you limited it to say 40 cars per group. That would allow for actual testing, changes, test again, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:47 am 

Back home and what a great weekend we had!

We had been doing all of our initial testing last year on Hoosier take offs and weren't having much luck. We did the test day with some hopes that we had found the problem to our incredibly loose condition but walked away at the end of the day with out learning much. The plan was to mount fresh rubber for the remainder of the weekend so we got that taken care of before we left for the day.

Saturday I was watching the weather from 5:30AM on, clouds were rolling in very thick and it looked as though the AM practice session would be rained out. For us, this would have moved our first real test on new rubber to qualifying. However, the rain started, but it wasn't enough during the prod group to change the racing surface and we found that new tires are just the ticket to get to the times we need to be at. I progressively got faster the entire session and was able to run around with a few of the other EP cars to feel out where we were at for the weekend.

Qualifying 1 was under pretty decent Wisconsin conditions. We were able to hook up with Lance Loughman in his 240 and got some great tows to post a 2:33 just ahead of Lance. 2nd-4th were within 1sec after Q1. Brakke was doing his usual 2:29's 2:30s. We had a failing coolant expansion tank that was spitting the entire session and we left a hell of a puddle in impound. Fresh parts were on order for pickup Saturday morning (Thanks Dad).

Qualifying 2 we had the car prepped and were waiting for my Dad to return with the new expansion tank and cap. We got everything installed and as we were lowering the car to go out for the session we found the right rear trailing arm moving substantially. I had noticed some mis-tracking under hard braking on Friday but didn't think anything of it. One of our trailing arm eccentrics had lost the nut and we had some very aggressive "dynamic" toe change happening. We luckily had a spare nut and I replaced it in my drivers suit and most of my gear on. We were late to the session, I had the right amount of aggression and went out and bested my time by .5 sec which moved us up the order to 2nd place. Front row at the June Sprints! I was pumped. Making it through the weekend was the main goal. A top 5 was the stretch goal.

A thorough nut and bolt took place in between Q2 and Race 1 due to finding the trailing arm had come loose. I hadn't had a chance to run anywhere around Brakke all weekend so we weren't sure if we had the power to even contest him off the line. There was really no strategy other than try not to stuff it anywhere. Group 5 had a great start, the way they should be at RA - none of this race out of 14 stuff like some other groups do. Brakke controlled a good pace climbing the hill and we had a great even start. He out braked me into 1, and the 2nd row wasn't close enough so I took the racing line and still had Brakke in striking distance into T3. We both came out of T3 good and I was able to get a great tow off of Brakke and moved into position for an overtake into T5. Of course my braking is still timid and Jon drove it in probably another brake marker into T5. From there Jon slowly walked away and managed his race. Lance Loughman challenged Breton Williams for 2nd place on laps 2-4. But Breton broke free and had his sights set on me. Breton caught me around lap 4 or 5 and had good speed from T6-T12. My BMW could walk him on the straights and gave me enough cushion to hold him off through the rest of the track. He got a great run out of the kink around lap 7 or 8 and grabbed my tow down into 12. He had the run and grabbed me in the brake zone. However with my torque and his draft I was able to motor around him before the S/F line on the same lap. From there we started catching lapped traffic and got a little more spread out. We ran the remainder of the race in that order.

Race 2 was a lot more eventful. The heat index was over 100 degrees in Elkhart Sunday. Our GoPro was malfunctioning due to the heat and we couldn't get it sorted before the race start. We were hooking up the cool-suit and one of our quick connectors had failed. It was spitting all over the cabin. So we abandoned the cooler and cool suit setup and just used a drink bottle. Brakke got a better jump on Sunday although we were still pretty even into T1. He and Breton drove it in a little further than I and I fell to 3rd through T3. Breton didn't have the power to contend from T3 to T5 and I took back 2nd place comfortably about mid-straight. Jon wasn't pulling away as hard on Sunday and I thought I will just push to be in the right spot to take over if he does something wrong or his car decides it doesn't like the heat. Lance again challenged Breton on the first couple of laps and I saw one of the 1st gen RX7's (Driver unknown) chasing Breton and myself down. During one of the (many) cautions the RX7 dropped back presumably breaking. Breton came on strong on Sunday! Some pretty big moves to challenge for 2nd place and I had to do a lot of defending. On one of the runs out of 5 I could smell coolant, I watched the gauge peak shortly and thought our day was done. I gave up the spot to Breton and followed him through the carousel. Temps however stabilized and I pushed on with one eye on the gauge and another on the road. We got back around Breton and took on 2nd place again. He popped out 1 time into T3 not seeing the waving caution. He pulled a PUY but immediately conceded the position. He tried a few more times, but between the cautions and lapped traffic he ran out of time and presumably tires. The last 2 laps I just hit my marks and posted some Ok times with my hand out the window trying to duct some air into the cabin. I was cooking. Jon and Breton elected not to spray Champaign, which I was a little bummed about given this is my first majors podium, but figured I looked goofy doing it myself.

We had a great first Majors experience. I was really bummed I missed Blackhawk but we had no choice. It was kind of a tall order to dip our toes in at the Sprints, but it turned out great. My Dad busted his butt in the heat and took care of the car all weekend. I think its great that the Sprints is always on Father's day. So many racers got their start because of their dad's interest, or their dad's ability to help out. We'll be hunting for speed and have our eyes set on 2019 - and ultimately 2020 for the Runoffs return to Road America! I'll post some video from Saturday in the coming days.

#38 EP BMW