prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:09 pm 

Ron,
So here's the story on the weekend and the ex-Weber and GTL cars.....Yep, Dad bought the Weber Sprite for my oldest daughter Holly. We've kept is exactly how Bob left it, beautiful car! She absolutely loves that it. We had the car all prepped for the weekend but had transmission issues with it before be brought it to the track. We have the dog box in it but could only get 1st and 3rd gear. 2nd would not go at all and 4th would barely engage but would not stay in so we'll need to pull the box out and get it looked at. We have a good Midwest MS LP 1275 in the car so we've got high hopes for it next year, so we hope there will be a new player in HP!! If we could get the trans sorted out we might take it to MO in October. Holly just finished her Novice permit so she'll be running more with it next year. This was her first season driving.

Jay was going to run the Sprite since he has his full comp licence but (hence the Jay listed as an HP car)...due the the box issue above, no go. So Holly tested the GTL car Friday and Jay ran it on Sat/Sun. We figured GTL could really use the entries. The GTL car is an old tub frame Toyota Corolla we bought a few years ago for Jay as part of the Foster program from Mr. Zekert. It does have some history but nothing like the Weber Sprite. That car has been a great starter car for both kids. Both of them have done well in it for what it is and both show quite a talent so getting them into competitive cars will be fun! Jay is building a new tube frame GTL Nissan that will be out next year as well. So, my prep focus has been on the kids, which I am enjoying.

Side note(kinda), we are looking for someone to go thru both the dog box and the SC stock box for the Sprite. We know Taylor could do it, but were hoping for something a little more local to Michigan with a quicker turn around time so we could make the race at MO in October.

BTW, I think Greg was taking it a little easy on Jay last weekend. But yes Dayle....both kids are going to be faster than me very soon!!! :shock: Had a great time last weekend, great event as always.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:22 pm 

Kind of a funny story there...
The original entry list had Savage and Meller listed in HP.
When I registered I saw that Dan had withdrawn. On Saturday I saw the GTL in the paddock but no Sprite so I figured they had some issue and changed class. Problem was they hadn't informed T&S and I forgot to mention it to my wife to give her a heads up. I decided to treat the weekend as a low key affair to have some fun and use it as a test session. Car was terrible at the Cat and I found a few things since then but the car is still not 100% right. With no other cars in class I went out on some old junk tires and kept the revs down to save the car. I pull up on the false grid and see Jay in the GTL car and don't see any other H cars.

I get about 5 laps in and my wife is giving me my lap times over our one-way radio setup and she is also watching race monitor.
I'm about to pull in...

"You need to find 2 seconds to catch the other car!!!"

WHAT?!?!? What other car? I'm thinking crap, if I knew there were other cars I would have gone out on better tires.

Grattan has a unique layout that allows you to look over your shoulder to see other parts of the track.
So I'm looking around trying to spot this 'invisible' H car while I'm waiting for for some traffic to clear.
I find some clear track and figure I get one chance at throwing down a good lap before I'm out of tire.
I put down the best lap I could with what I had and managed to get within a tenth of a second of this invisible car.
I came off the track with cords showing on both fronts.
So I pit and finally get to ask "who is ahead of me?"
Her: "Car #40"
Me: "That's not an H car, it's a GTL car"
Her: "It shows as an H car on live timing"
Me: "It's not an H car"
Her: "But, that's not what it says!"
And so on :lol: :lol: :lol:
No problem...we eventually get everything straightened out with T&S.
I continued to use both races as test sessions keeping the revs down to save the motor and make some adjustments after each session. I park the car both races after turning enough laps to get a finish. On Sunday I dropped back and followed Jay around for a few laps. His GTL car looks like it handles pretty good and Jay seemed to be doing a good job behind the wheel. Car looks like it is fun to drive!

I didn't have an issue with the split start given the small fields. There was a T2 Mustang running in our group that would have been a problem had I needed to push it. Instead I dropped back to let him get away to create a gap. From what I heard Sam and John had some problems trying to lap him.

Great event as usual despite the hot humid weather and low turnout.

Only other issue was having the A/C on the truck die halfway home coming thru Indiana. :x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:34 pm 

Dave Savage wrote:
Ron,
So here's the story on the weekend and the ex-Weber and GTL cars.....Yep, Dad bought the Weber Sprite for my oldest daughter Holly. We've kept is exactly how Bob left it, beautiful car! She absolutely loves that it. We had the car all prepped for the weekend but had transmission issues with it before be brought it to the track. We have the dog box in it but could only get 1st and 3rd gear. 2nd would not go at all and 4th would barely engage but would not stay in so we'll need to pull the box out and get it looked at. We have a good Midwest MS LP 1275 in the car so we've got high hopes for it next year, so we hope there will be a new player in HP!! If we could get the trans sorted out we might take it to MO in October. Holly just finished her Novice permit so she'll be running more with it next year. This was her first season driving.

Jay was going to run the Sprite since he has his full comp licence but (hence the Jay listed as an HP car)...due the the box issue above, no go. So Holly tested the GTL car Friday and Jay ran it on Sat/Sun. We figured GTL could really use the entries. The GTL car is an old tub frame Toyota Corolla we bought a few years ago for Jay as part of the Foster program from Mr. Zekert. It does have some history but nothing like the Weber Sprite. That car has been a great starter car for both kids. Both of them have done well in it for what it is and both show quite a talent so getting them into competitive cars will be fun! Jay is building a new tube frame GTL Nissan that will be out next year as well. So, my prep focus has been on the kids, which I am enjoying.

Side note(kinda), we are looking for someone to go thru both the dog box and the SC stock box for the Sprite. We know Taylor could do it, but were hoping for something a little more local to Michigan with a quicker turn around time so we could make the race at MO in October.

BTW, I think Greg was taking it a little easy on Jay last weekend. But yes Dayle....both kids are going to be faster than me very soon!!! :shock: Had a great time last weekend, great event as always.

Dave

Pretty cool to have your kids racing, Dave! That Weber Bugeye has always been super fast and pretty.