prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:50 am 

Not schedule related, but runoffs related.

Let me go on record at the beginning as saying that I was/am in favor of moving the runoffs every year and including the West Coast in the rotation.

I think an unanticipated consequence of moving the runoffs every year is a more dramatic reduction of participation back east and maybe even out west (in aggregate) than we expected.

When the runoffs were in one place for a long time, the decision was simple. You either made the tow, or you didn't.

Now, you have a third option. You wait for it to come to you.

I think a large percentage of the racing population is a fingernail's thickness from being done. They're hanging on for all they can. Money. Time away. Time in the garage. Bad blood from being or feeling wronged. It all adds up. So if you give these folks a rational excuse to step away, they take it. Rotating the runoffs gives folks that choice every year.

I can't tell you how many folks back east are scaling back their participation in 2018. In fact, I can. All of them. My bet is that the later races back east this year will be ghost towns.

I'm not suggesting that we return to a runoffs that stays in one place, I'm just pointing out that the rotation has added this factor. Maybe there is a way to mitigate it? Maybe when the runoffs is out west, one race is designated an "East Coast Championship" race (and vice versa)? Keeping the carrot in front of people keeps them running. And once they stop, getting them going again it hard.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:14 am 

I reached as hard as I could to run the Indy Runoffs last year, because Indy.

This year the car probably will never leave the garage. Money. My original plan was a race or two this year just having fun, then another push for VIR Runoffs. Not sure that's going to be able to happen.

It has all gotten so damn expensive...

Edit: and I've been doing this on a shoestring since 1999. I'm 40, have a decent career, make ok money... and the shoestring is as tight around my neck as it has ever been. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this game?

EP 2004 RX-8 #13

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:38 am 

RacerBowie wrote:
I reached as hard as I could to run the Indy Runoffs last year, because Indy.

This year the car probably will never leave the garage. Money. My original plan was a race or two this year just having fun, then another push for VIR Runoffs. Not sure that's going to be able to happen.

It has all gotten so damn expensive...

Edit: and I've been doing this on a shoestring since 1999. I'm 40, have a decent career, make ok money... and the shoestring is as tight around my neck as it has ever been. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this game?

Same boat here, but I haven't been to runoffs yet and can't even begin to afford to go. I make decent engineering salary, but have a family of 4 to feed and a daughter in kid karts that's showing promise regionally. My annual racing budget is what many Prod racers spend on a single weekend. Not complaining, but the whole SuperDuper Tour and the annhiliation of the regional racing program has shot my SCCA love in the foot. Every time I turn around, the races are fewer, farther away, and more expensive. SCCA is not making it easy for the shoestring racer to be able to compete, let alone be remotely successful.

Maybe we should leave the wine & Cheese SCCA and create a the Po Folks' Kinda-Sporty Car Club of America? PFKSCCA?

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:35 am 

disquek wrote:
Not schedule related, but runoffs related.

Let me go on record at the beginning as saying that I was/am in favor of moving the runoffs every year and including the West Coast in the rotation.

I think an unanticipated consequence of moving the runoffs every year is a more dramatic reduction of participation back east and maybe even out west (in aggregate) than we expected.

When the runoffs were in one place for a long time, the decision was simple. You either made the tow, or you didn't.

-Kyle

Bringing back the tow fund might help out with this issue.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:02 am 

500 entries at 1050 per... and get charged for everything else? this deal is circling the drain. 2018 will be the last one I am doing. I will race my cars for fun when and where I want to after this. It is not track fees alone that are driving the cost to go up.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:59 pm 

What is the entry for Sonoma?

Ex #8 HP Spitfire 1500 (it's happy at its new home)
#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:18 pm 

Joe Harlan wrote:
500 entries at 1050 per... and get charged for everything else? this deal is circling the drain. 2018 will be the last one I am doing. I will race my cars for fun when and where I want to after this. It is not track fees alone that are driving the cost to go up.

Bill was in for over a grand in entry fees for the VIR Majors race and test day.

Fees are over the top.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm 

disquek wrote:
Joe Harlan wrote:

Bill was in for over a grand in entry fees for the VIR Majors race and test day.

Fees are over the top.

-Kyle

I love racing but I will not race at those prices. We are bringing the Seattle Majors event in at 400 for early entry and 495 day of the race. We are banking on numbers to make this happen.. right now 3 weeks out we are looking good.. Its a matter of getting involved and convincing people that we have to change the way we do things..

The over head in this sport is out of control..

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:11 pm 

Joe Harlan wrote:
disquek wrote:
Joe Harlan wrote:

Fees are over the top.

-Kyle

I love racing but I will not race at those prices. We are bringing the Seattle Majors event in at 400 for early entry and 495 day of the race. We are banking on numbers to make this happen.. right now 3 weeks out we are looking good.. Its a matter of getting involved and convincing people that we have to change the way we do things..

The over head in this sport is out of control..

Charlotte Majors is $425 and we will see if drivers respond. Will determine what we do for 2019.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:30 pm 

looking forward to charlotte 2019!