prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:26 am 

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/scca/site_assets/000/028/365/original.pdf?1525373816
the combining of FP and HP in qualifying kind of kills my plans.

Attachments:
2018 Runoffs schdeule prelim.jpg
2018 Runoffs schdeule prelim.jpg [ 368.02 KiB | Viewed 736 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 am 

BLinn wrote:

But the FP/GTL split seems doable

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 GTL Sunoco Hard Charger
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 am 

"the combining of FP and HP in qualifying kind of kills my plans."

yeah they did that last year and we had 3 classes in our group every day! in the past when they did combo groups they used to at least make sure you got 1 day alone. dont know what happened to that? maybe that's the cost of losing a day off the schedule?

id also say that your intent has been clear all year and they should make an accomodation for you on that? its not like you popped up out of nowhere...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:18 am 

What happened to Spec Mustang?

I thought that change giving Topeka Road Racing folks control over which classes got Runoffs races was to facilitate Spec Mustang getting a runoffs race grouping?

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:06 pm 

mlewis wrote:
"the combining of FP and HP in qualifying kind of kills my plans."

yeah they did that last year and we had 3 classes in our group every day! in the past when they did combo groups they used to at least make sure you got 1 day alone. dont know what happened to that? maybe that's the cost of losing a day off the schedule?

id also say that your intent has been clear all year and they should make an accomodation for you on that? its not like you popped up out of nowhere...

Yes, tad frustrating. Too bad this schedule didn't come out before last weekend's race as I would probably not have split the weekend up between two classes. It's a surprise to me that GT3 gets it's own session all 3 days based on how it has been handled the past few years. FC gets their own session all three days too. FC had 14 starters at last year's Runoffs. Maybe the recent survey gave them some insight to what to expect.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:54 pm 

i like to think that some classes got hammered so bad last year groupings (GT classes) that maybe they cut them some slack this year...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:31 pm 

Don't get discouraged yet Brian. When registration opens and the masses sign up, they may split F and H qualifying and combine other groups. I bet these groupings were initially based on the survey results for who was attending in what classes, and it is subject to change.

#37 HP Sprite
Hoosier/Taylor Race Engr/Red Line/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee/Capital Planners

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:25 pm 

I would think it will be amended. I did look at at Laguna Seca FC did have a 20+ car field. But then so did EP. But GT3 didn't. If you assume the same numbers as Laguna Seca you will have a couple of 10-15 car fields with their own Q sessions and combined groups with 45 cars.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:27 pm 

Prod isn't the only group with scheduling concerns... big chat over on Apexspeed.com about FF and F600 grouping, while FC is stand alone, as noted above. Does seem that FC and FA might combine for at least one session. One apex comment said FC was expecting 15 qualified cars from west coast... highlights another issue as to what has happened to the runoffs as being cream from ALL divisions, not just those who live close... Appears qualifying isn't as meaningful as in the past. Times have changed.

Bob L.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:53 am 

" highlights another issue as to what has happened to the runoffs as being cream from ALL divisions, not just those who live close..."

yes i believe the best of the best fallacy was exposed at laguna seca and i expect the same to hold true at sonoma. majority of people, including 'big' names just won't travel big distances. i suspect its been that way for over 25 years but we got definitive proof 4 years ago. Indy being last year will make it worse as many drivers made the ultimate effort to get there and decided to skip west coast this year. i hope it doesnt impact the numbers too badly but dont be shocked if it does.

Last edited by mlewis on Mon May 07, 2018 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.