prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Summit Point Majors
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:22 am 

The races at Summit ended up being pretty good after all. We had 14 cars in the group but this year our group was only slick tired small bore without the DOT tire small bore. I never saw a yellow flag in 4 sessions I do not know of any contact that anyone had with anything. One nice thing about this year compared to last is there was not a slow car on the track. I just did some quick math and noticed there was only 2 seconds between the fastest and slowest car in each class.

The track recently repaved and it was very nice. Saturday we were the first group out and the night before it had rained and the track was super slick. But for the race it was great. MONTAGUE started on the poll overall and led the entire race for the GTL win but Ball finished just .36 seconds back! And DOWNEY was third and still fiarly close to the others.

The only class without a good field was EP but WILCOX had good runs both days for the wins.

IN HP it was BRORING for the win followed by KIRKLAND and MACQUEEN.

Charlie Campbell won easily in FP on Saturday with a great drive only .3 off the track record. Haynes ran some good laps but retired early. I started 3rd but managed to pass Thiel early. But he and Chima were right behind me. I missed a shift and Chima went by. Later Chima had the car stick in gear and went in. But Thiel was slowly reeling me in when he went off in 10 but only lost about 6-7 seconds. And he was pulling me in at the checker and I finished less than a second ahead. I was lucky to be 2nd when I was the slowest of the 5 FP cars but I will take it.

Sunday we raced in the morning . It was cool and super fast. Charlie ran off and hid and won the group and broke the track record by well over a second. The GTL race saw MONTAGUE retire early with a problem. Bill Ball had a flat and went into the pits. Fuller battled Charlie for the overall lead and the GTL win with Downey finishing 2nd. Ball changed the flat and then came back a few laps down for 3rd. BUT he did manage to set the GTL track record by over a second.

IN HP it was BRORING for the win followed by KIRKLAND and Funk.

FP was a great race for 2nd to 5th place. I started 5th in class and took my time as my tires were super cold and it was a long 24 lap race. Chima ran up to 2nd followed by Thiel. Haynes and I had some good racing for several laps trading places a few times. Thiel went off in 2 on lap 4 but kept control and got back up to catch me and Haynes for a 3 way race for a lap or so. Somehow I found a bit more speed for a couple of laps and that allowed me to get ahead of Haynes and then he raced with Thiel for the last 10 laps or so. That helped me as they traded places several times and I am sure it slowed them up a bit. Chima had a shifter-gearbox problem I assume ( I spoke to him Saturday and that had been his problem.) After I passed him he dropped back only to come back and gain on me for a while until dropping back again. So the result was Charlie, Me for 2nd and Theil for a 3rd. Thiel also ran under the old track record.

The Region did a great job and I think that was the friendliest event I remember going to.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

Post subject: Re: Summit Point Majors
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:57 am 

Great race report Rob! Thanks!

-Kyle

Attachment:
bill_warren.jpg
bill_warren.jpg [ 148.93 KiB | Viewed 1740 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 am 

Rob, thanks for the report and thanks to everyone for not running over me when I had the cut valve stem.

I realized it was cut at turn in for T3, and began waving like a mad man and tried to stay out of the way, flat right front was not making it easy to maintain a predictable line as I was slowing.

I noticed on your vid that i drifted left a bit going down into T4 as you came up on me, sorry bout that I was at the time talking to Kyle on the radio (he called it screaming unintelligibly) begging for a right front tire to be retrieved from the paddock.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 am 

Nice race report Rob.
Thanks for posting.

Bill congrats on the new class record!

jimmy p

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:23 pm 

Fun races to watch, you couldn't get one of Bills hairs between him and Warren...Charlie was checked out and in another dimension, but the rest of the F field put on quite a show...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:51 pm 

Anyone with in car video of the Saturday race? Preferably the back half of the field.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:10 am 

Here is the first of my Sunday videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YAJycDlULg&t=163s The rest should come up in order but if not you can go to the https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8WhAI ... ySznsIFuhA

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:23 am 

Half Phast wrote:
Rob, thanks for the report and thanks to everyone for not running over me when I had the cut valve stem.

I realized it was cut at turn in for T3, and began waving like a mad man and tried to stay out of the way, flat right front was not making it easy to maintain a predictable line as I was slowing.

I noticed on your vid that i drifted left a bit going down into T4 as you came up on me, sorry bout that I was at the time talking to Kyle on the radio (he called it screaming unintelligibly) begging for a right front tire to be retrieved from the paddock.

I watched it again and I think you were hugging the line on the right side of the track pretty well. I was in a lot of traffic and when I first saw you I assumed you had just gone wide into the gravel at the exit of 3 and lost some speed but didn't realize you had a problem until I was pretty close and then I slowed to go behind Haynes. I was side by side with Haynes and I lifted so I could go over away from you but Chima was right behind me so I had to be caeful not to just whip it over and so I cut it pretty close to you. There was plenty of room though.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:57 am 

My Video from the race on Sunday
https://youtu.be/oZvGrt3FXEE