prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:06 am 

SF Region is running a Majors at Thunderhill this weekend. Currently at 239 entries. They've combined STU, STL, T2 and BS with the Prod group, to make the largest group of the 8 groups at 50 entries. Surprised that T2 is not with group of 22 entries of T1, T3 and T4. Someone wants to double dip I assume. The Prod portion of the group is a little under-subscribed at 21 entries.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/7EC8FA1B-A3B1-3C28-1DF566552D9FCEE1

E Production
Carr, Joe - 1985 - Pontiac Fiero
Cooper, Larry - 1971 - Datsun 240-Z
Dilley, Darren - 1985 - Mazda RX-7
Downey, Aaron - 1976 - Mazda RX-3
Frietzsche, Kurt - 2003 - BMW Z4
Golden, Dennis - 1987 - Mazda RX-7
Jimerson, Anthony - 1986 - Mazda rx 7
Kamber, Roland - 1983 - Mazda RX7
McCready, Glen - 2006 - Mazda MX-5
Swifts, Kale - 1990 - Mazda RX7
Bradfield, Bob - 1992 - Mazda Myata

F Production
Green, Ian - 1991 - Honda CRX Si
Hartman, Bill - 1963 - Lotus Super 7
Huffaker, Joe - - MG Midget

H Production
Becker, Jonathon - 1967 - Austin Mini
Cummings, Michael - 1964 - Austin Healey Sprite
Fleming, Lee - - MG Midget

GTL
Bunbury, Paul - 1995 - Honda Civic
Doodson, Chris - 1989 - Honda CRX
Harvey, Taz - 1994 - Mazda MX5
Linerud, Tim - 1983 - Volkswagen GTI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:10 am 

Damn, FP entries are down everywhere! Hopefully we'll have ten at the runoffs! Are some of the West Coast FP guys trying to qualify via the regional path?
I just looked and we are only averaging 3.8 entries per Majors event so far this year after seven events. I am going to try and make at least four Majors instead of just the minimum. Evidently the Post Indy Hangover is real.

FP Miata #88

Last edited by PaulFJensen on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:23 am 

PaulFJensen wrote:
Damn, FP entries are down everywhere! Hopefully we'll have ten at the runoffs! Are some of the West Coast FP guys trying to qualify via the regional path?

Wow - that's a good question, I had not even considered that. I think we're OK. Here is a list of potential drivers from Rockies to west coast for FP.

1 Huffaker
2 Hussey
3 Bill Hartman
4 Ian Green
5 Bill Okell
6 Innes Eisele
7 Bernardo Martinez
8 Paul Jensen
9 Lil Bill
10 B Linn

Jim Whitton is a possibility and rumors of at least two others that I know of. Just need some from east of the Rockies and we'll be OK.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:39 am 

1 Huffaker
2 Hussey
3 Bill Hartman
4 Ian Green
5 Bill Okell
6 Innes Eisele
7 Bernardo Martinez
8 Paul Jensen
9 Lil Bill
10 B Linn

I think we can add Neal Frank from New Mexico, Eric said he was going to take this years Runoffs off but I'm sure he would run if we needed ten. I'm thinking maybe Sam Henry might make the trip. Randy Wagner and Kyle Baker are two other possibilities from OK and TX respectively. Lil' Bill is going to run a minimal schedule but is going to try and make it. I spoke to Brent Louzon and he may make a return after a few year hiatus.

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:50 am 

PaulFJensen wrote:
I just looked and we are only averaging 3.8 entries per Majors event so far this year after seven events. I am going to try and make at least four Majors instead of just the minimum. Evidently the Post Indy Hangover is real.

I don't recall there ever being big west coast entries for FP.

There is one guy that appears to quietly be running the Regional path, but no guarantee he makes an appearance at Sonoma...

49 Johnstone, Parker F Prod 1962 MG Midget

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:57 am 

If all goes well... Chuck Brehm from TX (FP MGB) will be at Sonoma.. I'll be there in HP

Neil Verity
#83 HP MGB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 am 

Yes, Lance Stewart is running a Mustang in both T2 and T4 so that's why T2 can't move in with the other Touring Cars.

All of this potential "risk" for a measly $300 doesn't make sense for me. Of course, Lance is from Florida so that is cool, but to cause this issue:

This really is the tail wagging the dog.

Maybe if we took up a collection of all of the small bore drivers we could pay for one of the entries to "go away" and have a safe run group with 38 cars.

Again, the SCCA Cash Cow moo's it's ugly head

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:07 am 

We've had a similar issue in the Rocky Mountain Division the past few years, one guy running T1 and T2. We finally got it resolved to most everyone's satisfaction. Maybe it is time to adopt a policy like another club has that allows a competitor that has fully qualified for the National Championship in one class to enter in as many Championship races as they like. Maybe put a minimal qualifier of having to campaign that additional entry in at least one major event. It would help bolster the Runoff's numbers with additional entries and I would think that they would be high quality entries from well heeled drivers. As long as I'm throwing ideas our there, here is one that I've thought a lot about. Remember at Road America for the 50th Runoffs when we invited any former champion back with a one time provisional. It was so cool to see John Morton back on track for that event. I would like to bring that back. Maybe in a limited fashion in that they could only use it one time but bring it back for any year's runoffs. Imagine how cool it would be to have Jimmy Vasser, or Bobby or Graham Rahal show up at the Runoffs one year for a one off drive. I would love to run against one of those guys.

This does not solve the lack of participation issue throughout the year however. That will only be solved by providing big incentives for racers to run for points championships during the season. When you set up the rules and competition so that the vast majority of the racers are given the incentive to only run the minimum number of races; this is the result you get. Greed is good, put big carrots up for grabs and watch the competitive juices start to flow like Pavlov's dog's!

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:29 pm 

I am planning to be at the runoffs in FP but have lots of commitments early this season. I am doing the PIR Super Tour and Pacific Majors, but I will also be doing to 2 regionals to qualify. Wish I could travel to at least one of the California majors races but its not happening do to conflicts.

Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 am 

I know Andrew Wright from SEDiv is planning on being there in FP and last I heard, so is Michael Kamalian.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars