prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:50 pm 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
Gary Wittman wrote:
I just noticed that Jason's name is no longer on the entry list. Anyone know what happened there? Jason? Did Toyota decide to crush the winning Yaris?

Looking forward to potentially trying something new in 2019.

I’ve got a Spridget or Fiat X1/9 with your name on it.....c’mon.......you know you wanna try it. Hell, I’ll even make you a deal on delivery and haul it out there for you. :wink:

Dayle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:15 am 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
I was going to run Saturday only, but I cant justify the cost/trip for one day of racing.
But you're going to miss the beautiful weather - from the mid 30's to mid 50's with 20 mph winds?!?! God bless our corner workers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:56 pm 

Cold or not, looks like it's going to be a nice H crowd there!

#37 HP Sprite
Hoosier/Taylor Race Engr/Red Line/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee/Capital Planners

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:46 am 

Well, Lee Fleming did not run but we still had 8 HP cars in the mix. It was a little on the cool side, especially for the morning Qualifying (under 40 degrees). It was at least dry except for the last couple of races on Saturday. Overall, I think it was a great weekend of racing. Brian may not agree that Sunday was good after his brakes decided he was going to fast and locked up on him on the track and had to be removed with the hook.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 am 

Trying sharing a racecar with your significant other and let me know how that works out for you. :wink:[/quote]

We shared for 20 years, worked well...me Saturday, her Sunday. Hell, we ran against each other in the same class.....some trips home were...uh, interesting. Got to do side by side victory laps (her ITC, me ITA). How many couples can say that?

It’s been more fun than should be legal! I got old, she hasn’t!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:37 am 

Hi Gary,

Looks like you and Brian had a great race on SAT.... Good to see you and Brian going back and fourth setting fast laps. I watched remotely on race hero...(trying to avoid work)..I'll need to hear some more details... seems like Brian nipped you on the last lap (I assume going into turn one?..)...let us know what happened. Hopefully Brian will chime in too..

Great HP turnout... seemed every one had someone to race with...

Neil
#83 HP MGB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:57 pm 

Neil,

Embarrassingly, I made a big mistake at the beginning of the last lap. As we were approaching and near the start finish line, Brian was drafting and pulling out to make a pass. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a waving flag and thought it was the checker flag. So, I backed out after the finish line and thought I won. Brian went sailing by and when I reached turn one I realized there were no celebration signs from the corner workers they normally give after the checker. That is when I figured out that waving flag must have been the white flag indicating one lap to go. I was too far back at that point and knew I could not correct my mistake and followed Brian at a distance to see him take the win. I think it would have been a toss of the coin as to who would have won otherwise, but I think the odds were in Brian's favor.
Even though I came in second, I was very excited. That was one of the best races I have had in a long time and maybe ever. I lost count on how many times we swapped first place. The only one that came close was with Jason at the same track a few years ago. Yes, it was a great HP turnout and the Buttonwillow Hoosier Super Tour looks like it may be as good and maybe better. Come join us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:07 pm 

Gary Wittman wrote:
Overall, I think it was a great weekend of racing. Brian may not agree that Sunday was good after his brakes decided he was going to fast and locked up on him on the track and had to be removed with the hook.
It was a really fun weekend of racing and Saturday's race outweighed Sunday's gaffe.

Willow Springs is in the desert and it was a bit chilly. As Gary mentioned it was in the high 30's when we went out for qualifying. It seemed like I was driving on rock hard tires the way the car was bouncing around but I guess the winter was hard on the track. Every crack became a bump and it was rough riding. Gary, Ben Valentine and I all qualified within a second of each other. I started 5th overall, while Gary was in 6th and Ben in 8th. At the start the high powered cars charged down the inside and clogged up that lane for me. Gary did a great job of going on the outside and then passing a few more cars to separate us. Slowly I made some moves to get closer and Gary was being held up in some spots by an EP car. I may not have caught him had it not been for some help. Once I got to him we were very equal in power and handling. The draft would help who ever was behind when coming down the front straight. As Gary mentioned, he lifted when the white flag came out thinking it was the checkered. It would've been close.

On Sunday I made the mistake of messing with my brakes. I had new master cylinders in this weekend at the pedal was higher than I wanted. I knew I was close to have not enough free play. I adjusted it, then thought better of it and thought it was back in the same spot. Apparently not. So at the start, Gary pulls away and Ben flies by too. Then Mike Cummings goes by and I'm thinking "did I really miss that start by that much to lose all these spots?" Then a B-spec drives by me at the exit of T-1, "wow, I messed up that turn". But it continues to stay in front. As I'm going through T-2 I start to worry and check all the gauges - everything looks OK. I can feel it really slowing and realize what I've done. So I start to look for a spot to pull off when it just stops dead in it's tracks. Who's the dork that parks it on the track??? Tow truck comes out and has to lift it while the track is hot. The straps keep sliding up the cage and it's standing on the nose. I ran back and popped off the spoiler before it broke, but the spoiler mounts eventually busted off. Sucks but I take some responsibility because of my mechanical error and then parking it on the track.

Saturday's video here: https://youtu.be/DdJP2jH2vX0 well at least the first part before it cutoff and started a new file. Apologies to Tom Feller for still poor sound quality but slightly improved, and having my big helmeted head taking up half the screen. I had moved the camera for Sunday's race but that video is probably not that exciting.

Good to see all those HP cars on the entry but some attrition over the weekend. Lee Fleming in the Saurino/Tuttle MG had a diff issue during the test day. It has some fancy diff/axle combination that means typical parts won't fit, so he was done.

Glen McCready was on the pole and won both days in his EP Mx-5. Philip Royle was 2nd both days. Huffaker was really fast in his FP Midget getting pretty close to the lap record held by Mark Hotchkis in Kirby's 914. He is on a mission. Troy Ermish won GTL on Sat and Taz Harvey won on Sunday. Ermish did an impressively fast qualifying time on Sunday.

Thanks to Cal Club for a great event and all the corner workers that put up with the cold weather so we could get out on track. One last positive note for me was that I was able to design and produce the trophies for the weekend. I've heard some positive feedback - hope you liked them. Any feedback, positive or negative, is appreciated to help the next round.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 pm 

As I recall from the 2014 runoffs @ Laguna Seca, both of the Saurino Midgets had rear end problems during the GTL race.

Brian, what is "Race for RP" ?

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 am 

Ohh Gary... sorry about the flag screw-up.... although you didn't win ... looked like a great race with Brian from Brian's in car video he just posted.... Looks like fun.. also its amazing how the 2 of you can dart and weave between slower traffic... With regards to flags... I once raced I think for a whole extra lap at Thunderhill... since I was never shown the checkered.... passing everyone on their cool down laps... not so sure how that all happened...

Anyways... glad you had fun ..it's a bit of a haul to SoCal from TX... but will make it out there for the Sonoma race in June (SM or HP MGB)..havn't decided yet...

Neil
#83 HP MGB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next