prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:13 pm 

racer_tim wrote:
That's your Dad's old car. :lol

Jesse may have even driven the car a few times before his dad converted it to GTL spec. In fact, I remember it winning a few races, including 3 Runoffs in a row at topeka. Yep, that old car.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:53 am 

YEAH! That's my car. Actually it's Chris Bovis' car I built for him originally.

Lots of races on that car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:15 pm 

Warm weather over the weekend with a strong head wind (on front straight) on Sat. Good group of cars.
Huffaker was running in top form all weekend in FP. Should be THE favorite for the Runoffs. Isley was also strong, setting a new lap record on Sunday as did Taz Harvey in the ex-Prather Miata in GTL.

Saturday's results: https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/6248924 These are not accurate as I DNF'd, so these results are part way thru the race.
Sunday's results: https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/6249574

For Sat's Race Huffaker was on the pole, then Harvey, John Longwell in his EP BMW, me, Kale Swifts EP Rx7, Philip Royle EP Rx7, Innes Eisele FP BMW. At the start the EP cars torqued their way to the front in NASCAR T1 & 2, with Longwell and Royle in front for the hard braking for the first corner. Philip ran a little wide for the first turn, I dove to the inside but that put us side by side for the next corner and slowed both of our exits and Huffaker got by both of us. It settled in with Longwell in P1, using the power to stay in front, Huffaker P2, me in P3 followed by Royle in P4. Eventually I made a mistake and clipped a cone on the edge of the course which cracked a fender and air dam. It also dislodged the oil cooler from it's perch, eventually dragging on the ground. I was thinking I had a flat tire as the handling and braking was weird on the right front, but in the mean time I was oiling up the track for 2/3rds of a lap. I think Bobby Beyer in his HP Yaris had an engine issue that contributed to the oil.

For Sunday's race it started with Huffaker, Longwell, me, Harvey, Swifts and Royle. Huffaker took off as the pace car pulled off and they gave the green with him out in front. Longwell and Swifts were close to Huffaker by the entry of the braking zone but I think Joe was good to go in P1. I ended up following Longwell for a lap or two before I could out-brake him, but then he got back by one either the banking or the infield straight. We had a good clean battle back and forth but Joe was pulling away. I got a little gap ahead of Longwell and seemed like I was slowly catching Joe, but hen dropped two tires off at the exit of the 2nd hairpin and looped it. I got going fairly quickly and didn't lose a position but was lonely at that point. A few laps later the engine would just stop as I was at full tilt on the banking. The 5/8" dia Grade 8 bolt that holds the pulley onto the crank broke. The bolt, pulley and washer were all on the crossframe member despite spinning at about 8000 RPM at the time of departure. The Electromotive pickup may have not been that happy about the party going on, but not sure if it's trash.

Repeat winners from Sat.

Thanks to David Kizer and Dave Scherry for wrenching on the car all weekend. Cat Kizer made her first appearance at an SCCA event in many moons and it was great to finally meet her. Also thanks to Steve Hussey, Noel Hayward and Gary Meeker. As always, thanks to Hoosier Tire, Carbotech Brakes and Red Line Oil!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 pm 

Quote:
While the hit on the video did not look that bad, it sounds like as the tore into Mike's car they found significant damage, and he wont make this round.

It was a pretty hard hit. It bent my axle over an inch.

HP Scirocco #06

VW Racers Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/309326556818/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 pm 

video of first few laps from Sat https://youtu.be/ve9EV4jy4S8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm 

Looks good Brian.

Can you mount your camera on the roll bar (you can afford the drag) and get a remote mike? Let's see some hands on the wheel...and less wind noise...more engine...more cowbell. At least let us not racing live vicariously through you. :lol:

PS, I like the how you've got data on the vids now.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:42 am 

Tom Feller wrote:
Can you mount your camera on the roll bar (you can afford the drag) and get a remote mike? Let's see some hands on the wheel...and less wind noise...more engine...more cowbell. At least let us not racing live vicariously through you. :lol:

PS, I like the how you've got data on the vids now.

Tom

I can get back to the roll cage mounted camera, however I'm well known for my poor audio quality :)
I bought an external speaker for one of my cameras, but it didn't connect to my version of that camera. Will try again.

Here is Sunday's start of the race. https://youtu.be/fiwan4QAGEs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 am 

BLinn wrote:
I can get back to the roll cage mounted camera, however I'm well known for my poor audio quality :)
I bought an external speaker for one of my cameras, but it didn't connect to my version of that camera. Will try again.

Don't know what camera you use, but could you just put a piece of tape over the camera microphone holes? The main problem seems to be wind noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:33 am 

VWRalf wrote:
Don't know what camera you use, but could you just put a piece of tape over the camera microphone holes? The main problem seems to be wind noise.
I have two different brands of cameras. Most of the time I've used a RePlay XD 1080. It came with "special mic tape" that I used and later tried more tape, all with negligible results. This past weekend's videos videos were recorded with a Mobius Action Cam 1080P, initially recommended by Danny Steyn (SM). Great video quality for a great price - currently sub $70 on Amazon. I just watched a video and found out where the mic is, so I can try the tape on that next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 am 

surprised they let that start stand. quite a jump before the flag was even in view. joe getting on with the program!! :D