prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sonoma Video with Data?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am 

I just watched my first of many to come in car videos from Sonoma in preparation for next years Runoffs. I could not find any videos from top Prod racers yet. I did watch a full race from an STU Honda S2000 that was running on pace with the FP track record that the SFR website shows was set in 2004! The video had some data overlay and showed top speed of 114 mph in two different sections. West coast guys, is this what we should expect to see? Anybody have any video they would like to share?

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm 

114 mph seems correct. You'll get that going into turn 7, and also at the entrance of turn 10.

Porsche GT3R by Memo Gidley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SdJ4PYvzOQ

1996 Ford Mustang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMVUuMjqx2A

MX5 Cup Car by Mark Drennan (Local Club/Pro racer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDdKsJoPrI

Porsche GT3R by Lars Mapstead (Local Club Racer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RgtjGEK_M

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 pm 

I found a video of a spec e30 only getting about 105. 114 sounds better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 am 

I went there in July 2016 with the HP set-up. Looking at the data, I only got to 103 mph but it was a pretty good lap (1:55.9). I will try and get a video of the lap with data overlay.
So the top speed is much slower than most tracks, and the min speed is slow too. There are still corners with "pucker" value. The exit of T-9 and entry of T-10 was one spot that got your attention, but it appears that we will run the Indy car bypass thru there. I get it that we want to take away some of the "home-track" advantage, but this was a real signature spot on the track. It will probably reduce the out-braking opportunity going into the T-11 hairpin as entry speeds will be slower, reducing the brake zone.

Sears Point is a great track, probably my favorite. That being said, I don't think I ran there from 2002 to 2016 because they didn't have National races that helped one qualify for the Runoffs.
The elevation change is as much as any other track I've been to. Video really flattens it out.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 am 

Which layout are we purported to use?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 am 

Not 100% sure but someone, maybe the Yaris driver, noticed that the track shown in the Runoffs logo looks different in T-7 and T-9 and 10.

In Turn 7 , there are a few exits. I tried to create a map with the option that SCCA normally uses (red line) and the Runoffs option (green line), based on the Runoffs logo.
Same thing for Turn 9, red for typical SCCA line and green for Runoffs line. The esses were such a nice flowing part of the track, in the HP car starting at about 80 and getting up to 100 mph thru T-9. So we will have a brake zone for T-9 now, but two really tight corners following.

Attachments:
2018 Runoffs logo.jpg
2018 Runoffs logo.jpg [ 165.84 KiB | Viewed 7662 times ]
File comment: Turn 7
Sears Point Turn 7 options.jpg
Sears Point Turn 7 options.jpg [ 715.67 KiB | Viewed 7664 times ]
File comment: Turn 9
Sears Point Turn 9 options.jpg
Sears Point Turn 9 options.jpg [ 609.79 KiB | Viewed 7664 times ]

Last edited by BLinn on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 am 

I ran a Regional race at Sonoma in 2013 with 58 cars on track with mostly STL and IT Miatas. I was the only Production car in the race but we all played well together. They pushed me hard though and I ended up with a 1.57.7 best lap on the normal SCCA configuration. I don't have data on my top speed but it was no where near 114. However, I run a slower HP car. I ran 4:22 gears and they were too tall. I don't think I ever got much over 7,200 rpm in high gear and that is around 104 mph in my car. Lower gears should have improved on that top end speed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:24 am 

BLinn wrote:
Not 100% sure but someone, maybe the Yaris driver, noticed that the track shown in the Runoffs logo looks different in T-7 and T-9 and 10.

In Turn 7 , there are a few exits. I tried to create a map with the option that SCCA normally uses (red line) and the Runoffs option (green line), based on the Runoffs logo.
Same thing for Turn 9, red for typical SCCA line and green for Runoffs line. The esses were such a nice flowing part of the track, in the HP car starting at about 80 and getting up to 100 mph thru T-9. So we will have a brake zone for T-9 now, but two really tight corners following.

Having spoken with the logo designer I can confirm that the track graphic used was simply because it fit the space/look he was trying for, and in no way is any indication of the configuration we will or wont be using. :lol: Thought I was on to something, wrong again.

Having never run there I have no idea what any of the layouts are like. But just watching races, and looking at the map, Turn 7a looks miserable. I could go either way with Turn 9. On one hand you take away the "character" of the traditional track, but it looks to me like you introduce a braking/passing opportunity with the IndyCar T9, and as long as you still use the long T11 that passing zone should still exist. Turn 10 seems a bit hairy with the traditional layout, but likely no worse than the Kink at Road America.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:47 am 

Yeah, the video I was watching was a fast STU car with more power than most prod cars. He turned 1:50 in the race and was hitting 111-114 on good laps. So I would think most of us prod guys would be a little slower top speed wise and a little fast through the tight corners maybe with our slicks. I like that fact that there are some pucker corners to contend with...can't wait!

FP Miata #88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm 

Thanks Brian - looks like I'll hang on to my 4.29 diff.