prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Indy Runoffs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

Thought I'd give a report from my perspective on the runoffs this year.
First thing I was super impressed about was like others have mentioned the safety crews. Those people know what they're doing. Mid Ohio could learn a thing or 10 from them on how to bust ass to not affect a race outcome. Man those guys were fast.

Second, the nicest people in the yellow shirts helping keep everything moving. I've seen runoffs with half the entrants where things didn't run as smoothly. Everything was first class, professional, and efficient. Wow.

The track. It really was a fun track in my opinion. Turn one was a super ballsy fast brake zone. I like it when you have to hit your marks just right to get a good lap in. The track had good transition corners as well as super fast sweepers.

Good local flavor, awesome facility, and I had a good race. Couldn't be better!!

Post subject: Re: Indy Runoffs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 pm 

Friends of mine in the tower told me the IMS Safety teams were hesitant to do hot pulls but our F&C folks worked with them and got them up to speed. Our F&C crews and their satfety teams worked great together. A nice touch to see such great cooperation. The end result was that the IMS guys LOVED doing hot pulls because they never get to do them any other weekends. And once they got the gist, they were awesome at it. I really liked the idea of chasing the pack down the front stretch in case the shit hit the fan.

Dayle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:06 pm 

Jesse, awesome race. Didn't get to your paddock to view new car.

With race car retrieval, isn't it time for ALL cars to have a tow loop at front and rear chassis? Viewed way to many cars with roll cage attempt and it doesn't work very well if at all in gravel. Two H cars sat just past T1 for the entire race. Viewed roll cage pulls or attempts and a couple wound up being pulled out sideways. Have we learned nothing since Jay Lutz was pulled or attempted to be pulled out of China Beach at Mid Ohio many years ago. This is note to be negative, but a dose of reality, we need to improve the process.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

Last edited by David Dewhurst on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:48 pm 

Lots of fun spectating for me. Been to about 12 Runoffs now and we were very impressed with the safety crews. Best I have seen easily. We joked that they looked like they were having more fun then some of the racers. Saw them do 4 cars in one double yellow lap. Hard to believe they don't do that every weekend. Looking forward to next year :D

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:51 pm 

So three different first time winners in the Prod classes. All three of them with previous close runs, but Eric and Jason have been knocking on the door for awhile now. Congrats to all.

I chronicled my HP race in the other thread.

In HP I started out the week in Q1 in 11th with some small issues that showed up. In Q2 I was able to jump up to 3rd, but still a good gap to Eric. In Q3 I was able to go a little faster, as did Huffaker who went to P1. That was the best case scenario to have Joe start at the pace that was best for our cars. In Q4 Eric was able to restore the natural order and Sam jumped up to join him on the front row.

As we're on grid for the race, we found out that one of the two radios has a low battery and beeps with every response. Shortly after that the other radio acts like the mic is constantly open so we have no radios. It's the Runoffs, they work all week, but it's the Runoffs. Then my Traqmate won't work because it says "memory full". During one of the pace car sessions I'm deleting files but it still says "mem full", until I delete them all. Without a radio as we're coming to the green, I can't see the flag stand thru Sam's roll cage. As I move over to the left I see the starters arm start to move and I'm on the gas, as is Charlie Campbell behind me (and everyone else but Sam :D ). I think I led as we crossed the line - the highlight of my race, maybe my week. Eric and Charlie easily power by before T-1. My brake pedal didn't feel great as we get going, but goes to the floor on lap 5 - "What the heck? this early? this is going to be a long race". I try to cycle some fluid in and out of the calipers during the FCY without generating too much heat. The pedal is still going to the floor. As we go back to green the pedal feels OK when I brake hard, but then slowly starts to get soft. Wait another FCY. More brake fluid cycling. On the restart I'm able to get by Kevin, but here comes Peter Morton going about 20 mph faster than us. Without much in the way of brakes and another race to do on Sunday, I was probably a bit cautious.

I was passed under yellow by Bob Perona on the front straight for one of the FCY's. I was also passed by Lil Bill during another yellow. I have video of both. In the end it didn't matter to me or change my race so no need to make a stink. I believe the stewards were aware of at least one of the incidents, but nothing came of it. I hope there as lenient when I make the same mistake.

Good time at the event all in all. Having almost 1000 entries showed up when trying to get gas or tires, but the paddock seemed OK to me. However I wasn't in the north 40 or outside the track. For the amount they charge for an entry fee, I think there's room to lower the cost of an over-crew pass and add some tow fund money. I'm all for adding the tow fund for this coming year when I won't get any - need to get some cars coming west!

Here is my video from the start of the FP race: https://youtu.be/FEtYEq0vPA8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:48 am 

Good video Brian. A little midget on midget action on lap two there! Car looks hooked up!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 am 

Brian, I looked back at my video, we were past the incident in 6 when I initiated a pass down the straight, you passed me back into 7, we battled down to the entrance of 10 where I passed just as the double yellow was coming out. I immediately pointed you back by, Im sure had I not pointed you back by I may have gotten talked to. As always, I enjoyed racing with you, sorry your brakes were off. You and Huffaker are going to be tough to beat at Sonoma

fp miata #08
RM-Div

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:15 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_VBML_q51Y&t=157s

Interesting video from Bob Perona's FP Miata.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BcQrf-wWYc

EP TR8 in car video. Yes the car that tangled with Matt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 am 

Jesse Prather wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BcQrf-wWYc

EP TR8 in car video. Yes the car that tangled with Matt.

88-o

STU Nissan 240SX