prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm 

Scott Sanda wrote:
So the 5th place qualifier dive bombed the field under the brakes in turn one and knocked the 2nd place qualifier out of contention at the start?

That seemed to happen a lot over the course of the 3 days.....

Dayle Frame wrote:
Not the nicest or smartest move I've ever seen. We should expect more from the folks at the front of the pack. It's one thing to mix it up waaaay back where I am, but the front runners should have more discipline and control.

Dayle.

There is more to the story than just that few seconds of video.

I was so focused on the starter on the front straight, that I did not pay attention as we accelerated from 5500rpm in 2nd to 7300 in 2nd gear.
When the flag flew I slammed into the 7500rpm rev limiter, and gave the car behind be a good jump.
Ralf got a GREAT start in his blue Golf and arrived on the left side of Ron, who was on the left side of me.
As I saw the good runs going on at both sides of the pack I backed off, knowing I had ruined my chance to attach to the Toyota's bumper.

I would imagine that none of us had entered T1 at speed on that completely green stretch of pavement.

It's a mistake many of us could have made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:22 pm 

You should watch my SRF in car. I started 35 and had to come to a complete stop in 1. Somehow I escaped with no contact and zero duct tape.

I watched turn 1 knock out front qualifiers in GT3, SRF, SRF3, T1, T2, ..... I think it had as much to do with the turn configuration as anything, but some patience would have gone a long way.

I'm still really, really happy for Chris.

And, I'm not throwing stones at anyone, just commenting that it happened a lot in a lot of classes. Usually from waaaaay further back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm 

So, if we ever go back, what suggestions to solve the turn 1 "destroyer of cars" or "turn race into single file follow the leader" track. Could a sweeper like Road Atlanta be designed and work? Would a less 90 degree turn work? Or do like Mid Ohio, start the race somewhere on the back.

As far as I could see, if that could be changed, the track may have made for some closer racing and more passing. But, I only watched Jesse's EP video and he drove so perfectly that it made the track look easy. He is a wheel man!

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm 

FP Racer wrote:
So, if we ever go back, what suggestions to solve the turn 1 "destroyer of cars" or "turn race into single file follow the leader" track.

When I was an instructor at drivers schools way back when, I told the students that it's a team effort to get everyone through a session unscathed. Everyone was responsible as a part of the pack. My schpeil wasn't just for their benefit.....I reminded them that they're protected with Nomex and steel tubing.....the workers are not. Heaven forbid an incident forces a car towards a worker station.

I think the track at Indy was fine. Whatever the layout, it's up to the drivers not to 'screw the pooch' in T1 on the first lap. We all know the adage.......you can't win it in T1 but you can sure as Hell can lose it T1. Our paddock spot was near T1 so I watched a few races from there. Some played nice, some did not.

Dayle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:24 pm 

Longer run into T1 would spread the cars a little more. It has happened a few times in the HP races . The 5th or 7 th place car with a big power and early jump takes out the front row, or second row.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 am 

Dayle Frame wrote:
FP Racer wrote:
So, if we ever go back, what suggestions to solve the turn 1 "destroyer of cars" or "turn race into single file follow the leader" track.

When I was an instructor at drivers schools way back when, I told the students that it's a team effort to get everyone through a session unscathed. Everyone was responsible as a part of the pack. My schpeil wasn't just for their benefit.....I reminded them that they're protected with Nomex and steel tubing.....the workers are not. Heaven forbid an incident forces a car towards a worker station.

I think the track at Indy was fine. Whatever the layout, it's up to the drivers not to 'screw the pooch' in T1 on the first lap. We all know the adage.......you can't win it in T1 but you can sure as Hell can lose it T1. Our paddock spot was near T1 so I watched a few races from there. Some played nice, some did not.

Dayle

While I completely agree in principle, I seem to see this much more often at Runoffs than any other event (excepting F1 starts where they throw $100million into the trash on just about every race start). This is Runoffs.. ALL THE MARBLES. WIN AT ALL COSTS.

MRLS Runoffs was a prime example of that as well.. Many races I watched got the green and within 30 seconds were FCY due to a smashup in the first couple turns. Aren't these guys supposed to be the best of the best of the amateurs, and here they (we) are crashing into each other lap 1 turn 1? Yep, more armchair quarterbacking as I've not been there, but I've always been a fan of sitting back a little on the start just for this reason. Part of my mindset is that the guys in front of me qualified in front of me because they were faster. My rotary handles pretty damn good on the straights, so just because I CAN get to the front on the start doesn't mean I deserve to be in the front on the start and then back up the whole field.. I've done it a few times at regionals/divisionals when it was people I knew and mostly wanted to piss them off (Those damn little Caterhams can suck my fumes!), but if it's a Super Tour and there's properly fast cars there, I sit back and wait for a better opportunity to pass than L1 T1.

But yeah.. Runoffs.. ALL THE MARBLES. WIN AT ALL COSTS.

Most of the drivers don't do this at other races-- why does it suddenly happen so much as Runoffs?

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 pm 

The the Nissan was involved in 2 other contact, not of his initiation, both resulting in the loss of position during the race....Karma? Looked like hard racing for a Championship to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 pm 

Great job by Jason to win his first Runoffs. Indy seemed like the perfect track for the Yaris - flat with a few decent straights. Was surprised to see Vesa in the Honda and Chris in his VW get so close to Jason's qualifying time in that last session. Thought they could give him a run for his money but that all changed at Turn 1. Ron did an excellent job showing that a LBC could be competitive at Indy. 2/3rds of the Mid-O podium showed that it's not the track that matters.

I think this is great photo to show the chaos of T-1. A few cars coming straight at the camera, a few in transition but more still going 90° from the camera position beyond the apex. I see Eric doing the right thing and avoiding the entire mess and coming inside the apex curbing. Ron blocked me at the start, not in a bad way but just enough to impede my progress while Ralf charged up the outside. I tried going to my right but Chris was there. As we got to T-1 Ralf had to check up for the Meller/Siligren contact and I got into the back of Ralf a bit - sorry about that but not sure you noticed. Jack Banha was charging up the middle and found room but couldn't turn as early as I would've liked and carried our line out.

Here is my in-car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWngU3_X0sc&feature=youtu.be rumors of me improving the audio have proven to be false. Looks like my efforts to get the two videos sync'd were lacking. Like the Runoffs, next time I guess....

Attachments:
Start at Indy T1 L1.jpg
Start at Indy T1 L1.jpg [ 657.21 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 pm 

Half Phast wrote:
Looked like hard racing for a Championship to me.

Agree 100% and no matter how many races one watched from T1, inside was the place to be, even after the 1st 2nd lap.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 am 

Thought I would post a view from mid pack of the HP Run-offs race. About a 5 min video of the roll off, green flag, first lap and then events during my race. Some interesting lines through (and around) turn 1 at the start, Mike (Bugeye) and Joe's (Scirocco) race coming to an early end, myself getting nudged off exiting the esses (really my fault for turning down to soon), some fun racing and eventual retirement with broken SU linkage

https://youtu.be/Cpy_tTCzbWo

Neil
#83 HP MGB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next