prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:54 am 

We need to stop allowing these new-fangled high-tech cars like the Yaris to win the Runoffs. It takes way too long to get through post-race impound. If you win you have to pull the cylinder head, and I saw Jason dealing with cams, two of them, and cam drives. Who puts a cam on top of the head? And why do you need two? One is plenty. And there were no push-rods or carburetors. How do you open the valves or supply fuel? And what is a cam bucket and a plenum anyway?

Then he took the intake off of one side of the head and had to go over to the other side to take the exhaust off. And there were four exhaust pipes!! Four of them. Then when he had the head off I may have seen four valves in each cylinder. You only need two – one for stuff going in and one for stuff coming out. Way too many parts.

On my car I take the intake and exhaust off of one side of the head, and there are only three exhaust pipes and only five holes in the head. Simple. Then 9 bolts and zip zap the head is off. And we go drink beer. The way God intended. And, I have the added benefit of getting all of my engine parts from the Tractor Supply store.

Seriously though, congratulations to Jason Isley and to all of the competitors who achieved their goals at this year's Runoffs.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:59 am 

Lol awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am 

Great post Ron.
It was nice to meet you and so many other H racers last week. Three brakes --- just, wow. That is impressive.

Congratulations Jason. You had a solid strategy and executed it really well. I sure wanted to make more of a race of it, but when I borked the start I knew I would only catch you if you made some sort of mistake. Nice drive.

My only complaint is that there were a few cars that were pouring quarts of oil on the track all race long. You could see the liquid streams as you approached from behind, not just smoke. They really should have been black flagged. T6 /6b was like going to the go kart slick track place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 am 

Ron's post wins the internet today!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm 

JimStevens92 wrote:

+1 :applause:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm 

JimStevens92 wrote:

+2 :applause:

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm 

Fantastic. :lol:

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 pm 

Oil on the track? Why do you think HP was the last race? On Monday AM as we were packing up, I saw the track vacuum truck spin out twice. And two track workers slipped and fell just walking across the track. Hope they weren't hurt.

Ron, you missed one item. The intake manifold was made of plastic! How the h was I supposed to check a plastic manifold?

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 pm 

Jokes on you guys, I can pull the head in 30min, just wanted to keep the old guys up late. ;) Just kidding.

I told my crew (the guy that knows how to start the car so he can drive it to Impound and where my tools are, but nothing else about the car) that I felt sorry for everyone, because it was going to be a long night. The joy of a modern car that only one other person has built and knows how to work on.

Never going to forget the look on Jim's face when he sees me with a cam in my hand and he tells me I was not supposed to remove them... "But I can't get to the head bolts with them in place." Lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:10 am 

Congratulations Jason and all the other guys up front. Nice job!!!

I had a blast at the back. I had somebody to race with the entire race. I'm looking forward to 2019 since my sponsor says we can't afford to go to Sonoma.
We'll see ya'll next year some where!

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX