prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My short Runoffs stint
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 pm 

Qualified on Monday with some old race tires to learn the track. Tuesdays session was shortened by a failed clutch pressure plate and I also noticed that the car was running hot. Changed out my clutch and pressure plate along with a new water pump hoping that was the cause of the over temp. Went out for session 3 and lost the clutch again. After pulling the transmission, found 5 of the six pressure plate bolts had loosened. (Helps to read all of the print in the book that tells you to turn an additional 1/4 turn.) Buttoned everything back up and started the car and heard a metallic noise coming from the alternator/water pump pulleys. Found that my vibration damper was failing and making contact with the water pump pulley. Only option was to put a stock VW pulley on the crank and hope for the best. Chris Albin suggested I not rev the motor as high as usual, so I went out for my 4th session and only went to 6500. Turns out I went faster short shifting and qualified 8th for Sundays race.
Got a great run at the start and came out of turn 1 in 4th. Coming back onto the front straight I scanned my gauges and saw my water temp in the red, so I turned on my fans hoping the temp would come back down. Wasn't until turn 4 that I also noticed that my voltage was below 12V which could only mean one thing; I lost my belt. I then knew I was done and made it back to pit road.
At least I didn't crash like last year.
Short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCdi8eg3lPI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 pm 

Do you think jumping off the curbs threw the belt?

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:53 am 

I'm really disappointed for you. You guys were smoking fast at Heartland. For all the ups and good surprises, someone's gotta be the bearer of bad luck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:08 am 

racer_tim wrote:
Do you think jumping off the curbs threw the belt?

Possible, but more than likely a pulley alignment issue. I have my trigger wheel behind the crank pulley, which requires shiming the water pump and alternator pulleys. Looked good with the belt on, but after the race I noticed that it wasn't that good after all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 pm 

Hell of a start Ralf. When we were 4 wide, I knew I better let Mellor try to max brake on the green side of the track solo. With the amount of rubber on the line, I figured grip would be way down on the right side.