prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2017 EP Runoffs car 117
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:46 pm 

Ran my first Runoffs race today, which almost didn't happen on the grid. With 5 minutes to go, I went to put my helmet on, only to find that one post for the HANS was missing. Looked all over for it in the car and could not find it - perhaps it was under the seat? Helmet had not been out of the car since Monday and stud was there when I tested the radio in the car in my paddock spot this morning.

Figured I was going to sit on the grid watching everyone else go out, while I sat there on the grid only to go home. Don Blunt's (who was gridded next to me) wife/friend, ran over to an SRF team (I think his name was Charlie from Ohio) that was paddocked next to grid and borrowed a helmet for me. Greg Goss who races in STU and others on the grid got me bucked-in, just in time to go out. THANK YOU ALL!!! I finished the race in 23rd after starting 32nd.

The helmet was small for me and had a clear visor. I did a lot of squinting and my ears were killing me from my ear buds digging in from the tight helmet. Also, on the main straight, the helmet was trying to lift off my head and was vibrating wildly. I could barely see the braking zone markers. The vibrating helmet visor was also disorienting.

The double yellow laps were a little unusual (no pace car) and I got stuck behind the #51 RX7, who was going slow for the double yellow laps, rather than catching up to the field.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:59 am 

So, did you find the stud??

Really nice of Charlie to lend you a helmet. Most likely it won't fit him next time he uses it.

Amazing how things happen on the grid. At a Mid Ohio Runoffs, someone turned off my kill switch and I ended up starting dead last.

But, you ran the race and can go home with extra memories.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:35 pm 

Jim... how did the overall event look to you?

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:01 am 

I believe it was about as good as it could be considering the size. The SCCA staff did an excellent job planning for the parking and layout. We made some early changes on traffic flow and it helped. The paddock parking was well planned and I hope we( I worked with paddock parking until Monday AM0 got all of you parked quickly. Watching the races, the track funneled into single file early but cars had passing places and good races developed. In prod, the cars who won were all three who I expected. The driver/car combination excelled them to the top. First place was never challenged.

Thanks to all who came through tech post qualifying and post race. We manged to inspect 101 prod cars post qualifying despite being told to limit our numbers. I felt we owed it to all to see their cars. All in all, the prod cars looked great. The prod races were good with lots of on track action. A big thanks to the 7 tech inspectors who helped me with prod. They came from Georgia, North Carolina, New Jersey, Oregon and Indiana. All worked only prod so we had a good team. And we had the biggest single category team by far. Translates to interest in prod car racing is still there.

Overall, I believe we just had one on the best Runoffs in SCCA history. I've been to them all since the first Road Atlanta and I can't remember a better event. Again, the SCCA staff did a great job as did the 500 or so volunteers who came. The track staff was a true pleasure to work with and were true professionals from traffic to clean up to concessions. The bathroom stayed clean as did all the facility. They show their pride in their facility.

We are still at track and should be gone in about an hour. Headed to Savannah for the SIC and then on to VIR for the prod fest.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:39 am 

And how many cars to did you measure the fuel cell height on?

Didn't see it on the list of things to check in the tech shed....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm 

I still can't find the HANS post. It may be stuck under the seat? I don't feel like pulling the seat out just to look for it now. Need a new harness next year, so I will look when I install that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:06 pm 

I think that I found the HANS post. Used a Ryobi scope with iPhone. There is a gap between the left rear outer fender and the interior panel. It looks like it is in there, where it will stay. Can't get a real clear picture, but the shape and size is about right and I can't think of anything else that would be in that space. I could not have tossed it in that space if I tried, but somehow it fell in there when taking the helmet off. Check your HANS posts to make sure they are tight.

I have since heard of someone else loosing one at another event, so it happens. The old style posts that bolted through are probably less likely to come loose. With the new helmets with a built in captive nut, I think it can be more likely for them to come loose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 am 

ohh that sucks. Good thing they're not that expensive. Like $40-50 for a replacement set. Call Pegasus or your favorite H&N vendor for replacements.

I've never had mine come loose, but still have the older style through-hole with large flanged nut on the inside. I guess it makes sense with a fixed nut that you may not be able to get the post torqued properly and have it align correctly at the same time due to the random rotation of said thread insert in the helmet.. Maybe a little dab of blue loctite or RTV on the threads will keep it from happening again?

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:19 pm 

What really sucks is that I had a set of posts from my old helmet in my gear bag. I was paddocked way up near the Honda tent and there was no way that I could have gotten those posts in 5 minutes.