prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 am 

I had the same issue as Linn at the start. No where to go and squeezed out over the curb.
It wasn't until I saw both Ron's and Ralf's video that I tell what caused the stack-up in one.

Fell back a few spots and then had a fun clean dice with Vickerman, Linn, Benazic, and White before settling into 9th and then moving up to 7th when Dan & Jack tangled on the last lap.

Was it just me or did the braking zone for turn one seem slick to anyone else?
I had a couple of issues where I was dicing with Eric and left my braking way too late, but there were other times I felt I was braking early yet still had some lock-up issues. Curious if it was just me or if others had the same issue.

I enjoyed the track layout and thought it pretty much equalized the performance between the LBC's and the tin-tops.
Brian Linn,
You had a pretty decent lead over Benazic and then dropped back for a few laps allowing Vickerman and myself to catch up.
What caused you to drop back? Was it the oil in the line in the horseshoe?

Here is the first half of my video. For some reason the camera died just after half-way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5vvN9Xw_g8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 am 

Greg Gauper wrote:
Was it just me or did the braking zone for turn one seem slick to anyone else?
I had a couple of issues where I was dicing with Eric and left my braking way too late, but there were other times I felt I was braking early yet still had some lock-up issues. Curious if it was just me or if others had the same issue.

The car with visible streams of oil pouring onto the track for the last 3/4 of the race entered 1 on line both times that I was following. I made an effort to move one lane off the wall to avoid it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am 

I didn't have an issue at T1 with oil. John Fine, Bob E and I went 3 wide into T6 and I got into oil on the inside of T6. Between the right hand S and the 2nd left hand S, I got into oil late in the race and spun. For the back of the pack, the start was all strung out so we didn't have any issues. John and I have fun for a few laps, then Angus Crome and I diced for quite a few laps together. I didn't have any straight line speed.

Here's my video from the back of the pack.

https://youtu.be/9aaKJcip3nc
Green 0:26
Hit by MG 7:00 mark
3 wide into the hook 12:19 mark
3 wide into turn 1 20:50
4 off 22:30
Hit by Rabbit 26:50
Spin 30:50
Bugeye hits Rabbit 36:34
Checker 38:32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 pm 

Neil Verity wrote:
Thought I would post a view from mid pack of the HP Run-offs race. About a 5 min video of the roll off, green flag, first lap and then events during my race. Some interesting lines through (and around) turn 1 at the start, Mike (Bugeye) and Joe's (Scirocco) race coming to an early end, myself getting nudged off exiting the esses (really my fault for turning down to soon), some fun racing and eventual retirement with broken SU linkage

https://youtu.be/Cpy_tTCzbWo

Neil
#83 HP MGB
You do a pretty good job of dirt tracking that B. Maybe you should take it to the roundy-round dirt tracks. Hard to say that the contact was your fault - did you talk to the VW driver?
Wondered what happened to Mike Cummings. Hard to deal with cars coming from all directions, merging into the funnel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 am 

Hi Brian,

hah... funny.. I'm still trying to learn to keep the "B" on the pavement... although I have honed my dirt tracking skills racing at Buttonwillow :D Looks like you had a couple of fun races... Onto 2018.... I have a busy winter ahead of me....

Neil
#83 HP MGB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:11 pm 

It was a great experience to race at this famous venue. Everybody at SCCA and the IMS staff did a fantastic job on organizing it.

Below is a link to my in-car race video. The sound ain't of the best quality, we'll work on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lub1SeTvKM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 pm 

Brian, it looks like Mike moved over to the right, to avoid Gordon Jones, which put him into Reed, which put Mike into Joe. Too many cars in too small of a space.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 GTL Sunoco Hard Charger
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 am 

maple38 wrote:
It was a great experience to race at this famous venue. Everybody at SCCA and the IMS staff did a fantastic job on organizing it.

Below is a link to my in-car race video. The sound ain't of the best quality, we'll work on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lub1SeTvKM

Surprised your car could take a hit like that and still carry on to set the fast lap of the race. Had you not been dumped the second time it seemed like the podium would have been in reach.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:50 am 

Jason@SportsCar wrote:
Surprised your car could take a hit like that and still carry on to set the fast lap of the race. Had you not been dumped the second time it seemed like the podium would have been in reach.

Agreed. that was a dang hard hit to not knock out the alignment enough to affect the handling.. (Maybe the hit fixed it? ;) )

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:21 am 

Jason,

Congratulations on your win. You pretty much had us covered all week.

Brunt of the hit was on pretty much the strongest part of the door, but the door garnish has a corner missing. The plastic fender survived with out any marks, the same could not be said for the rim. The shell on the three piece wheel is bent. Not enough to cause any vibration so I was able to continue without any problems.

Don't know about podium but I had you guys in sight there for a while.