E prod Porsche 914

Rumor has it that Hainsworth will park the Mazda in favor of the 914.

Just to clarify, I heard it from a guy, who heard it from a guy.

As a former 914 pilot I'd love to see a 914 kick some butt once again.

The last one to do it was Kirby's car driven by M. Hotchkis way back in 05' at Mid Ohio.

Tom B.

Kip has spent nearly two years developing this car. I'm sure some of competition will be taking note. EP is going to be a race to watch especially when there's lapped traffic (refer to last Indy Runoff EP race).

Hopefully the stewards will actually enforce the 10x% rule at runoffs and keep the slow traffic out of the way.

LRivera":3q5shzr8 said:
Matt Blehm It will Never happen
One can only hope!
Regional racing? Let all comers race and learn. National Championship? make good times in qual, or put it on the trailer and watch the big race.

Man...I'd have a real hard time parking something that I've already sorted, know well, and have proven to be quick, for something I don't know at all, with the hopes that it's as quick and at least as reliable.

Back in June I beat the FP track record pretty good at Watkins Glen, and John was flat-out GONE from me in his RX7, on his way to crushing the EP record. Again...man I'd have a hard time walking away from that in favor of something that's largely unknown. That thing's gotta scoot....interesting, indeed!

kruck":wbsp0br5 said:
Man...I'd have a real hard time parking something that I've already sorted, know well, and have proven to be quick, for something I don't know at all, with the hopes that it's as quick and at least as reliable.
I hear ya! But he did test it at Sebring a couple weekends ago, and I heard there may be another test coming before Oct 3. I haven't talked to him since that first test, but he's a smart guy, I trust his judgement...

Knowing the car's history, and the vS's collective histories, I'm sure it's screwed together well.

A follow up.

John tested Sunday(?) and was constantly having some ignition issues with the car. He got towed in during the day and I went over; Kip was playing with electrical stuff. His theory is that a bad ground may have caused COP failures; I thought of helping but they were in a rush so I just offered to gopher anything as needed and walked clear.

Monday(?) they had it running and John again went out for test day and was flat-towed back in. Next time I saw him, John was at his own trailer, getting ready to roll out Old Faithful, his RX-7 convertible. Verdict: internal engine failure. John drove the RX-7 in all qually sessions and the race, finishing 3rd.

But I gotta say, when it was running that 914-6 sounded glorious along the front straight. We were paddocked right along the front straight at Turn 1, and we could tell it was him, without looking, easily. Fantastic car, too, well-built. John had tested the car at PBIR and Sebring prior and was convinced it was the right tool for Indy; Len mentioned on the 914World forum that John set a new lap record at PBIR and was tickling the one at Sebring, so yeah, it's a good gun for that fight.

I'm sure we'll see that car again soon, with or without John in the seat (Kip's 944 is in STU now).

Back