prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20 pm 

Attachment:
20190211_172749-fixed.jpg
20190211_172749-fixed.jpg [ 45.16 KiB | Viewed 800 times ]
Austin Healy Sprite / Midget (Spriget) SCCA Vintage Race Car. This car was a former SoCal Region 19, SCCA Race Car. On the driver side of the roll-cage, there is a stamped number 19 with a sequential number 1115. Under the serial number, there is a 1/8th-inch hole drilled to verify the roll bar tube thickness.

The following parts are included with the car: Momo Race Seat, Vintage Fiberglass Race Seat, Front grill, center grill/bumper replacement metal, Aluminum headlights covers, front/rear turn signals, (2) windshield frames, Simpson seat belts (Old), spare set of wheels, steering wheel, OEM dash, Mallory Dual Ignition with caps and wires, Generator, Side door vent windows, and lots of other miscellaneous items.

Specs on the car: 1098 CC (12G-432) engine running with high compression and good oil pressure; 4 into 2 header and straight pipe exhaust; Dual SU Carbs with Electrical Fuel Pump; Lucas Distributor with Electronic Points and 8 mm wires, Blue Coil with Electronic Control Module; External oil cooler system with remote oil filter; Remote oil catch can/breather; Stock fuel tank; Stock Radiator and water pump; 4 Speed Transmission with hydraulic Slave and Girling clutch master cylinders; Front Disc Brakes and Rear Drums with Stainless Steel lines and Tilton Master Cylinders w/dual balance bar; Locking Differential with 4 link suspension and Panhard bar; Gull-wing leaf springs; Completely enclosed roll bar and side wall metal plates to re-enforce the driver’s feet, legs and torso area. Fire extinguisher system for the engine and driver compartments; Remote safety power shut-off switch; Tachometer, Oil pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure gauges with push-start button and switches for the fuel pump and ignition.

As of 12/1/2018, the car is running, driving and most important the brakes are working.
The following repairs were completed:
- Changed oil and filter
- New Spark Plugs
- Replace the water pump
- New Radiator Hoses
- Rebuild the SU Carbs
- New Fuel Pump
- Rebuild the Brake and Master Cylinders
- New Clutch Slave Cylinder
- New rear wheel cylinders
- Installed the Tail Lights
- Installed the Aluminum Headlights Covers
- Installed New Turn Signal Covers
- Replaced the Front Grill
- Bumped/Hammered out the front and right Fender
The car was driven around and it is running great.
The engine has good compression. The clutch is engaging and brakes are working great.

Take a look at the video and a few pictures in the enclosed photo album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/urd6oNJKqJgewhhW6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/S5rdAVTguw11YC2y7

Asking $4,900 or best offer.

Attachments:
20190211_172800.jpg
20190211_172800.jpg [ 54.54 KiB | Viewed 800 times ]
20190211_172749.jpg
20190211_172749.jpg [ 49.32 KiB | Viewed 800 times ]

Last edited by Evargas163 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:38 am 

I say clean it up some, replace the steering wheel and clear coat it and have a nice original vintage racer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:08 am 

Agreed. It would need a new cage to be SCCA compliant. With no records, it won't have a gold seal for the old style cage.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Taylor Race Engr/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:18 am 

#19 is the region of record (Cal Club).

Contact the Competition Chairman of that region and they should have record of owner of car when it was issued a log book. SCCA website may list this.

Of course, the car may have been raced before the logbook program started, so original owner may be difficult to identify.

R. J. Sorensen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 am 

I am pretty sure that is the cousin to my car. If so, it was raced by Tom Abbot and should have been issued a log book. Mine still had a log book when I bought it and Tom raced the red car after he abandoned mine.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:59 pm 

Gary,

Thanks for the information. I am going to see if I can get some information on Tom Abbot. The Steering wheel has some sort of tape with stuck saying "Have fun, Tom."

This is great information. I am getting excited again and getting the racing bug again!

Manny V.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:07 am 

As a former "Cal Club" - CSCC Region #19 SCCA racer, I also recognize this as Tom Abbott's car. He used to work in Glendale, CA , where I lived, at a wood products shop that cut/machined wood trim - door and window frames and similar trim - I think called Glendale Mill.
This was in the 1980's. His wife, Pam Abbott, was also the CSCC secretary around this time. I also think that CSCC should have records of this car... Hope you find the records. Joel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:40 am 

Hello Everyone,

Do you have any suggestions on the best way to move this car? Besides the scammers, the has not been a lot of interest on this car.

Thanks,
Manny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 pm 

Try also posting your car on this site

https://forum.vrgonline.org/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:58 pm 

Manny,

Try listing it on one or all of the Vintage race club web page Classifieds; Sold my Bug-Eye on VSCDA site last year.

The vintage club will probably want you to be a member to use their classifieds. Try to find a member who will post it for you.

My experience makes me believe the vintage crowd likes cars with some interesting history, but needs cars track ready. Many unable to do any development, or even needed maintenance or repairs.

Have you considered "Bring a Trailer"?

Need to move this before the season starts.

RJS