prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:37 pm 

Thinking of upgrading from my 2006 Corvette Z06 daily driver to a newish Porsche 911 or Cayman S. Does anyone know of anything available? Best to call or text.

Thanks, Jay c: 317-473-2124

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

Last edited by Jay Lutz on Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:44 am 

No action here so I started looking at a new Cayman.....lots of models to consider.

Tempting although pricey is the 2021 model GTS 4.0 to be available around July. No GTS is currently available.....this new one has the 911 super nasty flat 6 4.0L growl with most of the Cayman GT4 chassis hardware. Tough call as they now just offered a 718T which is a lower power sort of GTS. My Porsche employee friend who had an earlier version GTS as his company car for 2 years said its response is incredible....sort of a poor man's practical GT4. Yeah right.

I drove the 2L turbocharged flat 4 in the 300 and 350hp versions (no turbo lag at all on either) and I was surprised how good they both sounded. The press reviews suggested kinship to a VW beetle.

So what are your opinions...……...will the $20k delta for the GTS over the 718T be regained upon resale.....will this car hold its value better or am I dreaming for justification?

Thanks, Jay

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:53 am 

The GTS is definitely the better model. The 350 version is noticeably better than the base. Value should be no problem due to low numbers of production. caymans are desirable. The sound is amazingly like a 912 or 914. I'm guessing Porsche this was deliberately designed that way. Performance with the turbos is seamless as far as lag goes. Porsche did their homework on this car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:18 pm 

If holding value is important, consider used.
I have a 2013 Boxster S manual 3.4L flax six I picked up in the mid $30's. If you want to spend more, the 2016 Spyder or GT4 hold value really well due to rarity.

2009-2011 911's (997 model) are all NA/ last of the non-turbo 911's, relatively low volume due to the recession at the time and hold their value better with the porsche fans than Caymans and Boxsters in general.