prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Miata Spare Transmission
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:32 pm 

Does anyone have a spare miata transmission in good working condition I can use in my 1990 ITA Miata? I live in south Florida but am willing to pay shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:32 pm 

Are you aware a Mazda Motor Sports member can now buy a new transmission directly from them for IIRC around $1,200.00, free shipping. From your normal Spec Miata shop a rebuilt transmission will be approx. $1,000.00. Down your way, BSI, ISC or up this way Advanced Auto Sports

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:34 pm 

Can you still purchase "new" 1.6L transmission from Mazda? I thought all that stuff was NLA.. maybe it's available again?

Would it be legal to use a 1.8 trans in a 1.6 in ITA?

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 pm 

Matt93SE wrote:
Can you still purchase "new" 1.6L transmission from Mazda? I thought all that stuff was NLA.. maybe it's available again?

Within the last month or so they sent out notification to members for cost and free shipping.

4. Transmission/Final Drive
a. Any final drive ratio is permitted provided it fits the stock differential/transaxle housing without modification to the housing.
b. Any limited-slip or locked differential is permitted. In AWD cars, the center differential must remain stock.
c. No alteration to the stock transmission gear ratios for the make, model, type and engine size of automobile is allowed.
d. Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced by similar items performing the same fastening function(s).
e. Shift lever may be bent or cut above tunnel or floor. The use of a Short Shift Kit is permitted.
f. Traction control, if available, must be disabled by disconnecting or removing a minimum of three wheel speed sensors.

The ratios are exact same and the fit of an NB into an NA, is a slam bam thank you mam.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:21 am 

David Dewhurst wrote:
Matt93SE wrote:

Within the last month or so they sent out notification to members for cost and free shipping.

4. Transmission/Final Drive
a. Any final drive ratio is permitted provided it fits the stock differential/transaxle housing without modification to the housing.
b. Any limited-slip or locked differential is permitted. In AWD cars, the center differential must remain stock.
c. No alteration to the stock transmission gear ratios for the make, model, type and engine size of automobile is allowed.
d. Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced by similar items performing the same fastening function(s).
e. Shift lever may be bent or cut above tunnel or floor. The use of a Short Shift Kit is permitted.
f. Traction control, if available, must be disabled by disconnecting or removing a minimum of three wheel speed sensors.

The ratios are exact same and the fit of an NB into an NA, is a slam bam thank you mam.

Good info. I must have missed that email from Mazda on the transmission. I know the 1.8 transmission is a little more robust on synchros and such and they don't interchanges, but if the gearing is the same then they meet the rule as quoted above. run with it!

STU Nissan 240SX