prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:53 pm 

I was looking to do a cooling system reroute on my FP Miata and am having trouble finding a Kia thermostat housing to install at the back of the head. From what I can tell, a housing from a Kia Sephia (1999 to 2001 +/-), part number 0K247-15172A is what is needed. I tried ordering from two mail order Kia parts suppliers, who showed it in stock, only to have them later cancel the order, since it was not available from the warehouse.

There is one on ebay for $1000, sorry no way. One on Amazon, but not sure what country it is coming from.

Does anyone have a source for these or know of an alternative part (and part number)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:13 am 

Joe, have you tried calling local junkyards?

Or, hit car-parts.com and search for the correct engine assembly, see if they'll sell you just that part from it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:35 am 

Joe, I have one of these available for $75.00 plus shipping. With the OEM coil
which you likely don't have one must hack away at the bottom side of the coil bracket.

https://www.hawleyperformance.com/produ ... pacer-v2/4

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:03 am 

Greg, I tried car-part for just the Tstat housing but no one listed it. Good idea on looking for the engine and trying to just buy the housing.

David, I am looking for the tstat housing to route all coolant out of the back of the head, not just some of it. My car already has that. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:18 am 

Joe, a normal Miata OEM thermostat housing will bolt directly over the Hawley Performance part. Plug the other three holes in The Hawley part.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 pm 

Joe that looks like a great option actually that David's talking about.
I haven't been able to find what you're looking for for months now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:48 pm 

Jesse, love the JPM performance videos. :applause:

When that Mazda from Indiana gets back home there'll be some "what just happened" moments. :shock:

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:13 pm 

Ok, not sure what all you need.... was at local u-pull today, ran across a Kia Sephia,,,unsure of year, (couldn't open door), tail light looked to be Ar 00....april 2000?. Had a side ways FWD engine, vin KNAFB1211Y589(4?)2335, emission tag under hood: 18VFGFFE.

Thermostat housing was cast into head. Cover was 2 bolt, one about 10'clock other about 5 with offset, to right, outlet is off towards right side above that bolt hole at 5'oclock, as viewed from above/outside. I pulled the cover off and brought home. It isn't a "housing", rather outlet neck/cover, no numbers cast into it. Housing on this engine appeared built into head...had several other items into it, below thermostat. Not easy to get pic, and post, so not at this point....

If it will work, email or PM me with shipping info and off it goes.... If not right stuff, then just let me know, too.

Okie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:05 pm 

Joe,

Do you not care for the of re-route kits offered by a myriad of vendors to the Miata community.?

For about $250.00 they contain all of parts and pieces needed to do the job.

I've got one on my car and they seem to work just fine. Which one you'd choose would be of little consequence except that all would be easier to do with the motor out.

Regards
Tom Burdge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm 

Below is a link to a pic of the Kia thermostat housing. Okie if the housing/neck was from a 1.8 liter Sephia and looks like this one, I will take it from you. I already tried to buy from Hanson KIA and they cannot supply it.

Tom, no need to buy a commercially available kit, since those are primarily for street cars, using heaters. Yes, they can be make to work, but with the KIA housing and a radiator hose from a Chevy pickup, the conversion can easily be done. I can make my own block-off plate for the Miata front tstat outlet at the front of the head.

https://parts.hansonkia.com/images/uplo ... 300992.png