prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spridget suspension
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:58 am 

Post subject: Spridget suspensionPostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:30 am

So I have my HP car down to the tub and I'm concidering a full double A arm, coil over front suspension. Does anybody have recommendations for new or is ther e possibly someone with used spares for sale?

Kerry Foote

Post subject: Re: Spridget suspension
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:59 am 

I have MGB front lever shocks mounted on tapered aluminum adapters plates. You can get adjustable front MGB shock from Peter Caldwell in WI, and you get the full upper a-arm control. I'm not giving away too much to the full prep cars - 3rd in the Sunday race at Summit Point majors in 2021. Rear suspension is one steel offset leaf plus a composite helper, and Armstrong adjustable shocks. So you don't have to go full coil-over to be reasonably fast and have fun. Four Majors wins over past few years plus lots of podiums with this setup. and you weigh less.

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:54 am 

mmacquee wrote:
I have MGB front lever shocks mounted on tapered aluminum adapters plates. You can get adjustable front MGB shock from Peter Caldwell in WI, and you get the full upper a-arm control. I'm not giving away too much to the full prep cars - 3rd in the Sunday race at Summit Point majors in 2021. Rear suspension is one steel offset leaf plus a composite helper, and Armstrong adjustable shocks. So you don't have to go full coil-over to be reasonably fast and have fun. Four Majors wins over past few years plus lots of podiums with this setup. and you weigh less.

FWIW: If I was in a position to try something I think would try and hit minimum weight and go this route first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:16 pm 

What parts are you looking for, I have a number of options available
rick haynes
614-231-7194

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:39 am 

mmacquee wrote:

Are you allowed rear discs with this setup? Weight penalty? What about alternate trans? Just curious...

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Scott Young Enterprises/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:54 am 

Stiner0931 wrote:
mmacquee wrote:

Are you allowed rear discs with this setup? Weight penalty? What about alternate trans? Just curious...

AFAIK ALL Prod cars are allowed rear discs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:27 am 

I have used the limited prep baseline of 1517 lbs for my basic setup, which includes dogbox adjustment. Added 30 lbs for the vented front disk brakes/four-pot calipers, so I show min weight 1547 on the side of the car. Still, the car has never crossed the scales at any track under 1626 lbs. Besides my fat ass (220 lbs even after weeks in the gym) the car has heaviness built-in which I can't reduce without reducing safety. Bonus: the extra tubing in my cage meant that even after the 70mph+ sideways hit into the wall at VIR in spring 2021 supertour race the frame was still straight, replaced some RFsuspension bits, steering rack, radiator and a bunch of sheet metal and fiberglass and I was back on track in June.

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region