Runoffs location poll

I like Indy too. I was much more a fan this year than in 2017.

Lots to do in Indy, lots of hotels and restaurants. Facilities are excellent. Paddock is still odd and tight but it’s workable.

Track doesn’t give anyone a home advantage.

I like road America because it’s just peaceful all week and you can get away from the race car noises.

Midohio because I love the track.

Heartland park if entry fees are 300 bucks :)

It's a shame the track ownership at Mid Ohio behaves the way they do... that would be the logical choice of venue. Balance of speed and cornering, very technical, elevation changes, historic track, etc.

Now, if only they'd pave the track and the paddock roads, we'd be in business...

I know I'll probably get "flamed" for this one but it needs to be said.

Rather than worry about future runoff sites , why don't we (including Topeka) spend some time trying to achieve a more "time palatable" race schedule
especially here in the northeast.

In 2022 , 50% of our majors races took place in one month (April).
Of the remaining three (3), two (2) were back to back (NJMP and Thompson).

Like many of you, I swing my own wrench and as such find it extremely difficult if not impossible to prepare for races with little or no time in between.
If you have any major mechanical (or other) issues you're probably screwed.

For the "arrive and drive" folks not so hard, but probably not a lot of those in prod.

This year we had the Pocono majors cancelled primarily because of conflict with the Glen majors. Tough to cover the alleged $90,000 Pocono track rental fee when having to compete with the Glen for entries.

I'm certainly not a member of the"inner circle" so I'm not sure who makes the final decision on our schedule.

All I know is that I wish they'd consider the plight of the common amateur racer.

Regards
Tom Burdge
FP #50

Not germane to this particular topic (and I apologize in advance for any noses this may tweek...)

mcfoo":2854953v said:
Rather than worry about future runoff sites , why don't we (including Topeka) spend some time trying to achieve a more "time palatable" race schedule
especially here in the northeast. In 2022 , 50% of our majors races took place in one month (April). Of the remaining three (3), two (2) were back to back (NJMP and Thompson).

Tom, as chairman of the Northeast Conference Majors series, I totally feel your pain (in more ways than one). I injured myself at VIR this year and was "out" for two months, thereby missing 2/3 of our racing season. I am now scrambling to qualify for the Runoffs (having even considered just effing it off more than a few times since).

I can assure you that this will be a point of discussion when we next convene to discuss the '23 season. But I can I also offer to you that SCCA Topeka 100% manages the Super Tour schedule without feedback or input from the Conference, and individual regions have 100% control over when they choose to have their Majors without any veto power of the Conference. So take that for what you will.

There are other months in the NE racing season besides April and July. Just sayin'. - Greg

Daytona, hands down. Excellent ime of year, out of tourist season, cheap hotels on the beach, excellent restaurants without waits, and tons of local attractions.

Keep in mind that poll/survey was just for racers' input on where they'd like to go, and was not a vote on where it should go. EricP mentioned on FB (paraphrased) that all these tracks were included not as viable candidates but more of to avoid complaints of "why didn't you include <my favorite track> in the survey??" This ain't a democracy, ; there's only a handful of tracks in this country that are both capable and willing to host the Runoffs (you'd be surprised at how many tracks are not that interested).

I suggest we've already seen which tracks those are; just take a stroll down memory lane for all the venues we've visited in the last 20 years. So unless a track is willing to make the equity investment to host up to 900 or so race teams (which are each growing in footprint every year; long gone are the days we showed up in short-bed pickups and single-axle trailers) then we pretty much already have a good idea of from whom we'll have to choose.

For our team, entrenched here in the Northeast USA, anything west of the MS River is probably a "hard no". We just won't have the resources and time for that. I get it, others want to participate too, but we're talking preferences here, not democratic votes, so don't feel compelled to sway me otherwise (in fact, I had a unique situation in 2014 where I got a low-cost rental for Laguna, and really enjoyed the event despite being parked way out in the West 40).

For me, that leaves a few candidates we've already seen:

- Road America. Always a fav, but I did it from 2010-2013, so BTDT. I'd go again if my race car pard wanted to, as I think he'd enjoy the experience as much as I did but I'd not go on my own.
- Indy. Probably not. It was a neat experience but the track just doesn't enthuse. BTDT, checked it off the list.
- Mid Ohio. Not a fan of that place but I do smile at the "this is pro racing!" vibe -- yeah, maybe in 1986. And covered-wagon-in everything you'll need for the week.
- VIR. Meh. BTDT and we can run it any time. Race car pard's family lives nearby (good thing, they helped me convalesce after my crash) so it's probable for us.
- Road Atlanta? Fond memories of the 80s/90s Runoffs. But I doubt they can manage our group any more, especially with toters, tractors, Class As/RVs and the like. Hell, back in '91 we had to park our open trailers out in the kudzu so we'd all fit in the place (and the pro paddock doesn't offer that much more space...)
- Daytona. Damned straight. Best Runoffs we've had in a long time, as far as I'm concerned.
- Who did I miss?

It'll be interesting to see where we end up.

GA

Not a driver anymore. But, IMO, Daytona is the choice with no other track being close other than Heartland Park. Daytona offers cheapest hotels, things for non racing family to do, well organized local Club, CFR, great race facility and a demanding race track. Only negative could be weather.
On the other hand, Heartland Park is just as the name says, in the middle of the country, has a great facility, lot's of reasonable priced hotels and the national staff can all sleep in their own beds each night meaning entry fees can be lower.
For the next two years, we are at a Country Club race track VIR which can easily spoil everyone. Only big draw back is 25 minute drive to hotels. But, that's not much different than when we did both RA's.
Currently, Road atlanta would offer a lot of challenges including course clean up and paddock parking. Maybe we could use Lanier across the street which has acres of pavement now. Would take installation of a stop light and opening the old cross over gate.
No need for me to says any negatives about the other tracks since most of you know and have already covered it.

Daytona full course is a dyno first , driver second track . We did well there and would go back.
Even better Daytona course is the modified course that turns left at the second horseshoe . We ran that with Chumpcar when the repaving took place and it was a riot and very racy. Much better suited for 98% of our race cars . More turns, still a long pull for the motors and generally more fun. Added benefit is that no one has raced it recently . Win/Win/Win. IMHO

VIR is on my bucket list.
L.A. to VIR and back is about $5500 for gas and about 3 weeks off work (with sane driving).
Add in a "normal" few crew plane fairs, rental car(s), hotels, nominal pay for crew, few sets of tires, ++ comes to close to about $15,000.
Just not going to happen this year for MANY reasons.
Tried to find an E/P "arrive and drive" but was unsuccessful

I took the poll but my answers were all biased to West Coast tracks.

Not really complaining but everyone should remember the SCCA Amateur Club(?) is almost all an East Coast club.

My personal choice is my favorite track, Sears Point (I will never call it Sonoma). Of course I am a west coast guy, so...

Sounds like Heartland Park is a good choice if the paddock can accommodate everyone, center of the country (sort of) and all that. I agree that we need to make it easy on people to attend: decent paddock, hotels nearby, scheduling.

Pitt Race.

Only been there once, but was extremely impressed with paddock/hard surfaces, concrete johns, buildings....track wasn't too difficult to get up to speed quickly, but hard enough to provide good racing. Not many close hotels, but guess most folks going now stay on site (?). Worth a look.

Bob L.

Pitt Race is a great facility designed by someone who thought about designing not only a track but the facilities. Not much in the way of lodging however.

As almost in the center of the country Hartland Park is a good choice. I enjoyed racing there. Shorter tow from the West cost than most recent venues. i agree pits are first rate. Not a boutique track but still fun. If the club doesn't like the west coast Heartland Park works for me.

How about IRP ?, Indianapolis raceway park? I know it hasn't had a race since 2007, the track needs resurfacing, there are weeds so high in places that it is difficult to locate the track and it really has some very dangerous sections that I will guess the NHRA is not going to do anything about, but on the plus side, they had a donut guy there years ago that used to make fresh cake donuts on Saturday and Sunday morning in his little trailer in the paddock. And they were very good. And I bet the SCCA could get it for very little and stop using the Runnofs entry to enrich the SCCA national office at the expense of the road racers.

rick haynes

My vote would have to be for Daytona. Great track many hotels to choose from and also plenty of activities to do near the track. :D

I would love to go back to Daytona the only downside to me was the heat.
PittRace would be great and there ARE a lot of motels within 20-30 minutes, way more than VIR

Watkins Glen would be my first choice and if they can handle NASCAR and the NASSA championships they sure can handle our Runoffs.

Sterling":1l8rzrhx said:
Charlie is right

Watkins Glen would be a great location.

PittRace would be mighty fine too.

If you goal is to eliminate most under 18 drivers from the Runoffs, Watkins Glen would do the job. Only judicially emancipated minors (under 18) are allowed to race at the Glen.

Peter, no idea how many juveniles that would be.

The rich kids can play when they get a year older.

It will be ok.

Back