prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SCCA pro Racing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:37 am 

RACER: Parella Holdings, SCCA form partnership for F4 U.S., FR Americas.
https://racer.com/2020/06/25/parella-ho ... -americas/

I think this is great news, years late but still the best news to come from SCCA in years. I hope the contract with Tony was structured so that SCCA is shielded from any more losss. [Pass history shows that is not a given] I hope it is also an acknowledgement that SCCA does not , and maybe has not since the departure of John Bishop in the 1970s, the expertise to run a PRO-Racing series without losing money. What with Tony taking the Trans-am a while ago it could be that Venture, the pro racing/ SCCA enterprise combined depository for the clubs losses, maybe , just maybe the losses could be brought under control, Although years and millions of dollars too late. Personaly I think the history of second-tier racing series is clear , they lose money, very few people care about them and they quicky disappear when they lose their corporate sponsors. But Tony P looks to have very deep pockets and in the years to come if it loses more money i hope it comes out of his wallet and not mine. I also think that this change is the result of all the people over the last few years that have made their dissatisfaction known to the BOD members about the intolerable losses the members have had to subsidize. I hope those days are over forever and the BOD has learned a lesson that will carry over to future BOD members.

See? It's all about the money with me.

rick haynes

Post subject: Re: SCCA pro Racing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:27 am 

How negative for the club would it be if we made a rule that said no contracts could be signed for or on behalf of the club or its partner organizations without that contract being available in its entirety to the club members?

Would we have zero corporate sponsorship, and if so, would that be the death of the club?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:32 am 

for the record pro racing ran profitably for most all of my 5 years as treasurer under the stewardship of tom campbell. for at least 2-3 of those years it made payments toward the debt pro has with club.

cheers
ML

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm 

GT6 wrote:
How negative for the club would it be if we made a rule that said no contracts could be signed for or on behalf of the club or its partner organizations without that contract being available in its entirety to the club members?

Would we have zero corporate sponsorship, and if so, would that be the death of the club?

Then what's the point of having a BoD? Might was well require full membership approval of everything.

The club is what it is. It's strength and weakness is the regions. It isn't likely that any meaningful change to the way the board is constructed will be achievable because of that structure. Membership participation in BoD elections is weak at best. It might also be instructive to learn what the membership breakdown is by interest (it's not likely to favor club racing and hasn't for a quite a while.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:19 pm 

SVRA has been live streaming most of it races , very pro style. I wish them luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 am 

Protech Racing wrote:
SVRA has been live streaming most of it races , very pro style. I wish them luck.

I wrote a letter to SCCA about doing just that maybe 2 years ago or so... I really think broadcasting the Super Tour races and making a good app to follow the event/series is needed. I was at Mid Ohio this past weekend and SVRA did an amazing job with the coverage of the event. Nearly every fan spectating had the app open, especially the younger fans. Can SCCA replicate this for the super tour? Might be a good way to reach a younger audience...

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Scott Young Enterprises/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/AllState

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:02 am 

Stiner0931 wrote:
Protech Racing wrote:

I wrote a letter to SCCA about doing just that maybe 2 years ago or so... I really think broadcasting the Super Tour races and making a good app to follow the event/series is needed. I was at Mid Ohio this past weekend and SVRA did an amazing job with the coverage of the event. Nearly every fan spectating had the app open, especially the younger fans. Can SCCA replicate this for the super tour? Might be a good way to reach a younger audience...

sounds like a good idea, but I'm curious how much effort is involved to make all of that happen. how much will that raise entry fees when national decides it needs to come out of our pockets and sends an entire production crew to every event to provide this awesomeness?

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 am 

Definitely agree Matt. It was a pipe dream and the letter has been tabled with no official response since it was submitted, probably for a lot of reasons... SVRA set the bar this past weekend, in my opinion. Granted, they had Trans Am and F4 running, which probably have some sort of TV deal, so that may have covered the bill.

I say, rather than have members pay more, have the title sponsors pay more (Hoosier, Summit, Hawk, Hagerty, Valvoline, etc.). Their advertising and exposure would increase substantially if there was a "TV crew" at the super tour events, and the value of the sponsorship is more. Makes sense to get more from the sponsors for this additional perk.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Scott Young Enterprises/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/AllState

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 am 

Yeah agree. I don't have the business head for all of that- I'm an engineer and am the one always tasked with the 'make it happen and be sure to make us a profit' part after all the sales people get together and sell a cruise ship for the price of the S.S. Minnow.

anyway yeah, I'd like to think the title sponsors would be a little more willing to open purse strings with additional media exposure and the opportunity that brings. all when put on by the Secret Car Club of America.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:50 am 

Just FYI, the super tour fee's for the sprints, not counting insurance and sanction, came out to over $100 a car.....

So if you want to know what national is going to charge for live streaming and even, even with just 2 little camera's, use that as a guide.

Sanction, insurance and volunteer fees totaled $59.25 per entry, pulled right from SCCA's web site. The super tour fees are not listed.