prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:42 pm 

All, I know that there has been some previous discussion about two vehicle and trailer tires on this forum but I felt that it was worthwhile to post here in order to give fellow Prod racer Jason Stine (Goodyear employee) and Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. a plug. We had a blowout on the back of our Freightliner based RV on I-80 on the way to Road America last week and were stranded on the side of the road for nearly 4 hours. Had to call around in order to get a 24 hour emergency roadside service truck out in order to do the repair and you can imagine what that cost. Obviously, it wasn't a pleasant experience plus the exploding tire made a mess of the back of the RV and also damaged the propane system. The obvious point is that everybody needs to be vigilant about checking and maintaining trailer and two vehicle tires and also to use only good quality stuff on your transport vehicles. It's just not worth skimping here in order to save a couple of bucks. The other equally important point is that Jason and Goodyear have a program that runs through September for SCCA racers and teams that can save you a good amount of money. I replaced all tires once I got home with top quality Goodyear stuff and even when checking around on the internet, the tires I needed were over $400 each and Jason's program saved about 20% off the cheapest price I could find anywhere ($320 versus $400 times 6 tires is significant savings in my book). So, if your tires are over 4 or 5 years old, do yourselves a favor and contact Jason and he'll hook you up with this program. I'll do a follow-up post with his contact information but he's regularly on this website and isn't too hard to track down. Craig

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:22 pm 

Plus one for Craig's post. I probably should have posted something similar to that because Jason helped me with my RV tires in Florida when I replaced them recently. There was an issue of steer versus drive positions of the tires and Jason helped us get the discount for the proper tire for our needs. It saved us a bundle, and while I thanked Jason I should have posted something here because this is a very good program that he is offering to SCCA racers and we should all take advantage of it. It puts Goodyear in a position where you get a really good tire at the best possible price.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:03 am 

For those who don't know Goodyear dumped production of the Chinese made Marathon trailer tires and now makes them in Ohio under the new name Endurance. So far so good with them on our open trailer. We switched to Firestone Transforce in the late '90s on our Chevy and then Ford E450 chassis after spreading Michelins all over the country. Local dealer in Sebring recommended them after showing up at the track with 2 out the 7 blown. Went 8 years on the first set, 7 on the second and the 3rd set is a little over 5 years old. Total mileage is just over 70K. Dealer still says he's never had one come back unless it was completely worn out. (Sorry Jason) Sold the first two sets to a friend to put on his box truck and they are still rolling. We put Goodyear Wrangler LTs on our box trailer after the old Marathon mess and haven't had any trouble at all.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:26 am 

During a gas stop on the way back from Wisconsin on Tuesday, I noticed how worn the steer tires looked on our 2006 Fleetwood Freightliner RV, and that the drive tires weren't much better. They're all the original Goodyear's, now 14 years old with ~80k miles on them. Past due, and something I should do before driving back up there.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:13 am 

Yes....despite the fact he’s a Penn State alum and his new wife married poorly, Jason’s a solid guy and I’ve used his tire program on my EV. Good product, great price. I’ve used Goodyear tires on my truck and trailer as well. Very good performance.

Dayle

(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:20 am 

Craig/Ron - thank you for the kind words and glad that I could help you out! Dayle is accurate... I totally married up.

For anyone else reading this... Goodyear is currently running a rebate on RV tires through 9/30, which can get you up to $45/tire back on 22.5" tires for a Class A RV, and up to $25/tire back on 19.5" and 16" tires for a Class B/C RV or pull behind. Pretty nice savings, especially when combined with the NASCAR/NHRA/SCCA/SVRA Race Team program that Craig referenced.

Bob - no apologies needed. The Transforce is a great tire and is priced right in the market. I will offer one piece of insight though... running a specialty trailer tire "ST" prefix vs. a light truck tire "LT" prefix does offer advantages. The ST tire is specifically designed to be used on trailers, to run cooler, to withstand scrubbing, and the compounds are formulated so that it helps the tire last longer when for 90% of its life, a trailer is parked. The LT tire is traditionally a pickup tire, and doesn't offer these advantages. A decade ago when all the ST tires on the market were made in China, the LT tires were the better option. Now that the Endurance ST tire is USA made, I would suggest you give them a shot. Not to sound biased, but I have not heard anything negative on the Endurance since it hit the market 3 years ago.

Kevin - hit me up. You should have my contact info.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Scott Young Enterprises/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/AllState

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:37 am 

Oh how I wish I'd seen this post a month ago!

Getting new tires on the RV today. We're going with Hankook as I won't put the Chinese junk on it. (No matter what the tire dealer says ... ) Reviews were good for Hankook and FMCA had a good deal, so off we go. Still not a cheap venture when you buy 6 tires.

Thanks,
Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"PLAY SAFE"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 am 

My bus came with Samson tires. They drove very well but were old. I looked very hard to find any failure reports and found zero issues. I bought 6 new ones and have 20K on them over the worst roads in the US or Canada . Zero issues.
I made a mistake of using H rated tires instead of G rated. The H tires are heavier and ride a little harsh even at the lower pressures. The G rated can use more pressure roll a little easier. Might cost 1/2 MPG ??
I will maybe go with Toyo steer tires in the next year, but will look at Goodyears also.
Thanks Jason.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:40 am 

I put the new US built Goodyears on my trailer in 2017.
Definitely the highest quality tire I have had on a trailer.
Thank you Jason for supporting racers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:20 am 

Stiner0931 wrote:
For anyone else reading this... Goodyear is currently running a rebate on RV tires through 9/30, which can get you up to $45/tire back on 22.5" tires for a Class A RV, and up to $25/tire back on 19.5" and 16" tires for a Class B/C RV or pull behind. Pretty nice savings, especially when combined with the NASCAR/NHRA/SCCA/SVRA Race Team program that Craig referenced.

The "Race Team Program" you're referencing, is that what's talked about on the "Member Benefits: Automotive" Goodyear section on SCCA's website? Just a heads up, the coupon that's available on there expired 12/31/19.
https://www.scca.com/downloads/45472-20 ... n/download

Are you saying we can stack discounts, with a blanket 30% off type of deal like the coupon above, and then an additional $45/tire rebate for 22.5" Class A RV tires? That would be a pretty nice deal then. The original Goodyear's on my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery are definitely towards the end of their reasonable life.

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion