prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:24 am
Posts: 881
Inspired by Don F's mention in his parts wanted post about finding allthread used as head studs in a race engine, I thought it might be amusing to trade stories of hack jobs found in purchased race cars, or even street cars. I always tell beginners to: A: Buy, don't build B: After buying, go through car to find and remove the booby traps. I never followed my own B: advice so ran the following hacks for at least a while.

(Hack is used here in the old fashioned pejorative sense)

Datsun 1600 Roadster GP car - rod bearing clearance set by putting vinyl electrical tape behind the shells. Amazingly, this is not why the engine blew up.

Lola T492 S2000 car - rear stub axle held in upright / wheel bearing via a fender washer. Only on one side, the other had the original thick hardened washer. Fender washer held, surprisingly.

VW Scirocco ITC car - massive cheater engine, bored and stroked from 1.6 to 1.8 w/ a race cam. Random mix of pistons of various compression heights. Not internally clearanced for stroker crank, blew to bits first day of drivers school. Was impressively fast on straight until that moment. Previous owner looked me in the eye and said it was a legal car.

Who else has some?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:17 am
Posts: 201
“Slotted” brake rotors where the slots were machined (extra deep) using a milling bit with square corners. The rotors were cracked in multiple places and were probably only a lap or two from catastrophic failure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:12 am
Posts: 140
Location: Boston, Ma
Oh god, this is a long list.

Bondo to rebuild a spring perch.
Hose clamps to hold on suspension.
Wheel bearing grease instead of rod bearing shells.
Lots of bolts just sitting in holes that used to be threaded...

_________________
Anthony Parker
NER 373024
E-Prod. Wanna-be


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:32 am
Posts: 2745
Location: DeWitt, MI
Hmmmm......so many things:

The pic below showing a non-continuous front hoop.
How about 0.040" tube used in a roll cage?
Hose clamps used to hold the top of the seat to the roll cage.
Pool noodles as roll cage padding.

All of these were "OK’d" by tech folks as they issued annuals with these errors in place.

Dayle


Attachments:
849F3A59-51AA-48B9-91B8-37DB5E80A841.jpeg
849F3A59-51AA-48B9-91B8-37DB5E80A841.jpeg [ 43.13 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]

_________________
Dayle Frame (259138)
---------------------
Ex HP pilot
(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 pm
Posts: 447
Wow Dayle.
Just.

wow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:12 am
Posts: 140
Location: Boston, Ma
That's a carefully engineered crumple zone!


BTW, compliance with the GCR is first and foremost the responsibility of the builder/racer.
Blaming things on tech does not fly.
Scrutineers (myself and every racer in the SCCA) are our fellow club members, trying to make this thing work as volunteers.

_________________
Anthony Parker
NER 373024
E-Prod. Wanna-be


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:32 am
Posts: 2745
Location: DeWitt, MI
chois wrote:
Wow Dayle.
Just.

wow.


The lesson learned here folks to inspect EVERY inch of a car.......results sheets from events and pics are fine but there is no substitute for putting your eyes on all facets of the car. The roll cage pic came from a car I bought from a guy I knew and I know the tech inspectors as well. This chassis will never race again but imagine if it had and I was mortally injured in an incident......my widow may have owned the homes of a lot of people and been able to retire in the Bahamas.

Dayle

_________________
Dayle Frame (259138)
---------------------
Ex HP pilot
(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 2036
Dayle Frame wrote:
chois wrote:
Wow Dayle.
Just.

wow.


The lesson learned here folks to inspect EVERY inch of a car.......results sheets from events and pics are fine but there is no substitute for putting your eyes on all facets of the car. The roll cage pic came from a car I bought from a guy I knew and I know the tech inspectors as well. This chassis will never race again but imagine if it had and I was mortally injured in an incident......my widow may have owned the homes of a lot of people and been able to retire in the Bahamas.

Dayle


Based on the photo above, it *appears* the cage was cut and welded after at least the first paint application. you can see where the paint was ground/burnt away from the weld at the top of the tube.

With that perspective, it's quite likely that the cage was modified AFTER the initial tech inspection. Once the car gets a logbook, it's *assumed* that the cage structure doesn't change. I know for certain nobody has re-checked the design or installation of my cage(s) at an annual refresher, or asked about any structural damage or mondiifications over the last season. it's quite likely that a/the previous owner made those modifications and didn't say anything to tech about it. tech wasn't looking closely and "I've seen this car around for years. it's fine. I'll just check the fire bottle, harness, shutoff, seat, and sign the book."

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Scion FR-S


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:32 am
Posts: 2745
Location: DeWitt, MI
Matt93SE wrote:
Dayle Frame wrote:
chois wrote:
Wow Dayle.
Just.

wow.


The lesson learned here folks to inspect EVERY inch of a car.......results sheets from events and pics are fine but there is no substitute for putting your eyes on all facets of the car. The roll cage pic came from a car I bought from a guy I knew and I know the tech inspectors as well. This chassis will never race again but imagine if it had and I was mortally injured in an incident......my widow may have owned the homes of a lot of people and been able to retire in the Bahamas.

Dayle


Based on the photo above, it *appears* the cage was cut and welded after at least the first paint application. you can see where the paint was ground/burnt away from the weld at the top of the tube.

With that perspective, it's quite likely that the cage was modified AFTER the initial tech inspection. Once the car gets a logbook, it's *assumed* that the cage structure doesn't change. I know for certain nobody has re-checked the design or installation of my cage(s) at an annual refresher, or asked about any structural damage or mondiifications over the last season. it's quite likely that a/the previous owner made those modifications and didn't say anything to tech about it. tech wasn't looking closely and "I've seen this car around for years. it's fine. I'll just check the fire bottle, harness, shutoff, seat, and sign the book."


There were pics in the logbook of a full ‘halo’ type cage. The holes in the cowl suggest that the high part of the front halo was cut off and used for the part under the cowl. And, yes, you’re probably right that the car was never looked at in any kind of depth after that.

All that said....."somebody" welded that shit together and passed it off as kosher. We have a very thick rule book because folks was to work in the gray areas which requires more language (pages) to elucidate the acceptable text. This isn’t gray....this is criminal.

Dayle

_________________
Dayle Frame (259138)
---------------------
Ex HP pilot
(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:54 am
Posts: 2036
Dayle Frame wrote:
There were pics in the logbook of a full ‘halo’ type cage. The holes in the cowl suggest that the high part of the front halo was cut off and used for the part under the cowl. And, yes, you’re probably right that the car was never looked at in any kind of depth after that.

All that said....."somebody" welded that shit together and passed it off as kosher. We have a very thick rule book because folks was to work in the gray areas which requires more language (pages) to elucidate the acceptable text. This isn’t gray....this is criminal.

Dayle

I don't disagree- it's certainly a hack job! I would also think that given that much change in cage structure, it would get a FULL tech the next time through. but having low standards and knowing people with a tech stamp make that easy to get through. I would certainly prefer a more thorough annual tech, going over any changes and frankly having someone that knows what they're looking at on class legality able to weigh in on the legality of any appropriate modifications. But alas, 'that's not tech's job' and they're only volunteers with so much free time to give away.

but again, I completely agree the cage should have never been done that way and especially not put on track or sold to another person as competent and safe work. how it got to that point leaves a lot to the imagination and requires a fair amount of carelessness.

_________________
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
EP 1st Gen RX7
STU Scion FR-S


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group