prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: WHATS NEXT?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm 

I lusted after that 240 a good bit.. man..

the BRZ would be interesting, i think i have to go for the open top..

Sam . that Z3 does look really appealing.. straight 6 ! reliable !

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:31 pm 

Be careful with the ND Miata and the FRS thoughts. Direct Injection adds a whole new dynamic to making the modern cars work.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 pm 

dhrmx5 wrote:
Be careful with the ND Miata and the FRS thoughts. Direct Injection adds a whole new dynamic to making the modern cars work.

Why? You tune them just like any other injector setup. Yes they require a bit of specialized knowledge to setup injector scaling if you have to, but most race engines won't need to change injectors. I think the BRZ uses both port and direct, not sure on the Mazda.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:32 am 

I wondered about direct injection, I assumed you could always weld in bosses and convert back to old fashioned injectors with a mega squirt or other stand alone.. or just tune the OEM ECM.. but of course it probabaly talks to the whole car ! and it wont run without the power windows connected or something crazy like that..

heck the mileage you get in a ND miata you wouldnt need but a 3 gallon fuel cell. we got 13 miles a gallon thrashing the car all day at roebling road

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:40 am 

You can more than likely tune the stock ECU with a Cobb and a competent tuner. Also there are several other tuning options for the stock ECU. Yes you will have to pick more stuff out of the chassis harness and learn to deal with CAN systems. Racing a modern car is somewhat complicated. HAHA. It also has ABS tied into the traction control and stability management. That will have to be dealt with. Since the BRZ has Port injection as well, I might lean towards doing away with the direct in in favor of the port, that would simplify ECU choices for aftermarket ECUs.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:04 am 

I bought an FRS for STU and have been quite happy with it in the one race weekend I've driven it.

A company called ECUTEK makes an ECU flash kit that's damn near as versatile as a standalone. I've been very impressed with what it can do. only problem is finding someone in Houston capable of programming it that isn't a flake on the business side. said software has bluetooth integration so you can change the active tunes on your phone if you wish. not necessarily useful (or legal) during a race, but great for when you're changing fuel octane on practice days, trying to dial in the throttle-by-wire on the gas pedal so you get it just right, etc. The ECU itself has enough memory that you can store multiple tunes inside it, then just activate the one you want to run. other programming options let you add sliders and buttons to the phone apps so you can do silly things like shoot fireballs, control various relays, etc. also lots of logic functions that can be adjusted-- like you can make it disable radiator fans above XXmph.

And with a direct injected engine, I wouldn't want to go back to standard injectors. it's a step backward in technology and reduction in power and reliability. with standard bolt-on toys, they'll do ~200whp on a 2L engine with 12.x compression on pump gas...

The chassis is nice, plenty of *quality* bolt-on toys for it already, and reliable. you know, long as you don't do something stupid and blow it up. The factory transmission is a little weak, but there are sequentials and dog boxes out there already.

OEM brakes are pretty impressive since they're around 12" rotors. the base model has 2-piston sliders up front and 1 piston in rear. the uprated models have Brembos from the WRX/ STi. - 4pot up front and 2pot in rear. ABS and traction control are obviously standard, and the ABS WORKS. I was playing with mine last weekend and just couldn't really upset the car. the worst trait was massive understeer if you were braking too hard and still turned in (anyone surprised by that?) But no jerky jerky feel, no wheel lockup, and "ice mode" wasn't really an issue as long as I didn't kick the brake pedal.

Regarding ABS and Traction control, there are other companies out there which have a plug-in module that disables traction control as soon as you start the car. (look up the 86 Nanny http://www.beastronix.com/#about_us ). you can also make it disable ABS as well, although I'm not sure the method would be explicitly legal per Prod rules. it might take some clarification from the Prod committee and CRB, but could be legalized with certain things in place--- like switch must be activated prior to entering track and driver unable to access switch while belted in or something..

Fitting decent size tires and wheels on it isn't a problem- it does 245/40/17 on 17x8 wheels under the factory fenders just fine, which would likely be the max I'd expect allowed in Prod. (I think factory wheels are 17x7 but not sure on that.) the tuners have gone way wider with flares and whatnot, but the only reason to go there in Prod is if you wanted to widen track width.

I think one of these guys in limited prep could be competitive in EP depending how much weight can be taken out of it. My car in STU trim and factory glass is about 2550lb without driver, but in Prod trim it could get under 2500 no problem and maybe even down to 2400 with a massive diet. in STU trim, mine has supercharger (plus intercooler) and the factory dash so there's 50lb easy.. It would still be heavy for a 2L engine in Prod, but it carries speed well.

Just my $0.02. worth what you paid for it. :)

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 pm 

Z3
Mine is in the garage waiting for a new owner. I doubt that I'll ever drive it again.

James

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:37 am 

Please check my listing for an 88 RX7 Convertible both on this forum and on Ebay for a few more days. Your could not duplicate this car for double the asking price. Everything is the best. This car will get you to the Runoffs ( probably wont beat Jessie though).

Jim Stinehelfer