prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:58 am 

TED HEINRITZ wrote:
This brake question is kind of complicated.

Most Production class cars might be OK with current brakes, some have trouble with getting replacement parts or with finding a good selection of pads. A few might actually need better brakes. So should a solution be a change for all cars?

Often the solution is pick a different car, that is a poor solution since one of the great things about our class is having a bunch of different cars. All cars in our class should be a good option.

Maybe each problem car could have some sort of SPEC option?

I don't think we want a general solution that makes us one step closer to GT class.

What is complicated about "a safety device should not be used to level the playing field"?

Perhaps we could draw straws at the beginning of the race to see which drivers we allow to race without helmets? :doh:

If you can put proper brakes on a car that came with poor brakes, but had a nice engine, you could race something rather obscure and not worry about getting those "rare" parts. I think its a good idea to allow alternative brakes as this could allow people to build that otherwise "loser" car. (Among other reasons)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:30 am 

How a brake change would be implemented could be complicated.

All the cars should have good brakes, but how do we do that and not take a step toward GT class?

It can be a little frustrating, knowing good aftermarket brakes are often not very expensive and could be a easy upgrade.

You should have seen the brakes on the fiesta I used to run! I could get good pads that fit and worked, but those tiny / thin rotors....

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am 

I wanted to make a comment about the Fiesta and good brakes. HAHA

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:24 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
anviltester wrote:
give me full carbon ceramic 8 piston 20" rotors front and rear. Can run inboard to clear my little 15" wheels.

Don't get a flat!

The rotors can double as a flat tire range extender lol.

And i see some people posting about prod drifting to gt with just brakes? I ran gtl and there is a big diff in, well, everything about it. motors are almost unlimited in what can be built but need to run a restrictor. tube chassis, quick change everything, etc. Prod will never get to gt levels. And i am all for brakes that fit in the wheels.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:33 am 

anviltester wrote:
Matt93SE wrote:
anviltester wrote:
give me full carbon ceramic 8 piston 20" rotors front and rear. Can run inboard to clear my little 15" wheels.

Don't get a flat!

The rotors can double as a flat tire range extender lol.

And i see some people posting about prod drifting to gt with just brakes? I ran gtl and there is a big diff in, well, everything about it. motors are almost unlimited in what can be built but need to run a restrictor. tube chassis, quick change everything, etc. Prod will never get to gt levels. And i am all for brakes that fit in the wheels.

I saw some pretty major brakes that "fit in the wheels" on some GTL cars. Wilwood Grand National calipers on a 12.2"x1.25" rotor will fit inside a 15" wheel. all off the shelf stuff other than the mounting bracket and not expensive at all.

Brakes can be done that cost less than a custom cam & dyno tune, so I don't really see it adding a huge required cost to anyone's budget. yeah it'll cost money, but those $120 pad sets that last a season vs. $290 pads that last a weekend? they'll pay for themselves quickly.

STU Scion FR-S

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:47 pm 

Proposal:
EP
Optional rotors and calipers for all EP cars are the size rotors and Mazda calipers currently permitted on EP Miatas.

FP
Optional rotors and calipers for all FP cars are the size rotors and Mazda calipers currently permitted on FP Miatas.

Easy enough. And very few people need to change anything. :)

What would be a good baseline for H ?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 pm 

Sterling wrote:
Proposal:
EP
Optional rotors and calipers for all EP cars are the size rotors and Mazda calipers currently permitted on EP Miatas.

FP
Optional rotors and calipers for all FP cars are the size rotors and Mazda calipers currently permitted on FP Miatas.

Easy enough. And very few people need to change anything. :)

What would be a good baseline for H ?

Stone wheels and drums?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:17 pm 

Brett W wrote:
Stone wheels and drums?

No need. We have feet and there's no restriction against cutting holes in the floor.
;)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:46 pm 

Greg Amy wrote:
Brett W wrote:
Stone wheels and drums?

No need. We have feet and there's no restriction against cutting holes in the floor.
;)

No new openings can be created to the outside.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:30 am 

Better than stone rotors.

Attachments:
Brembo.JPG
Brembo.JPG [ 53.44 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next