prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:45 am 

On its widely read social media portals SCCA has announced that due to the coronavirus, large crowds will henceforth not be permitted at all Supertour and Majors events :lol:

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:15 am 

The only one that actually effects is the Sprints, and good luck trying to get Road America to not allow spectators at their 4th largest spectator event. :lol:

By that point, either this will have all blown over, or we will be living is a post apocalyptic nightmare with armed roving bands raiding for TP.

All hail Beavis and Butthead, prophets......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:36 pm 

I have had a lot of inquires about what was going on with me and SCCA. Sorry it is so long but I wanted it to make sense in the telling.

Most people that know me are aware that I have been very critical of the SCCA BOD use of the member's money, and other things also, for decades.
During that time I have made it very clear vocally and in writing here and on other forms, what I thought of their performance through the years, nothing is new in the last year

this is the timeline of events

I have been communicating with Mary Hill at SCCA since the spring of 2019 about running for the Nov 2020 area 4 SCCA director election.

I got my nomination form in may 2019

On Oct 7 2019 I had my one and only conversation with Lee Hill about the SCCA finances at the runnoffs

on Feb 26 2020 Lee Hill posts his intention to file a complaint against me with the SCCA BOD

On Feb 28 2020 I mailed my petition to get on the Nov ballot to SCCA

In response to an e-mail from me Mary Hill informed me on March 11 that she would start vetting the signatures on the petition. on april 30

On march 25 I was informed by SCCA that a complaint had been filed against me.
this complaint contained no specific action of mine that was in violation of the rules

I requested a hearing.

On april 16 ,2 weeks before Mary Hill was to start vetting the petition on april 30 I was informed I was being suspended from SCCA.
this would mean I would not receive the great lakes region member mailing list or any other information due a candidate.

the next few weeks were spend e-mailing with an SCCA official arranging a hearing and informing me as to the makeup of the hearing committee When I received a list of the people on the committee, I ask for their relationship to SCCA.

On May 5 I received a reply, 4 of the six were x SCCA directors and the other 2 had or were working for SCCA
I replied with this e mail:

Mr XXXXX

thank you for the information

I have been a consistent and very vocal critic of this Clubs BOD members' decisions concerning pro-racing and SCCA Enterprises since the mid-1980 starting with then chairman K C Van Niman. My efforts have not gone unnoticed by BOD members throughout the years and my inquires and statements have proved to be, with few exceptions, universally unpopular with the BOD members, I have to consider the possibility that this has led some past and current BOD members to have formed an opinion of me that may prejudice them in some way.

I understand the current BOD's wish to exercise influence over the proceeding by accepting, as you stated " the committee submitted for their approval.' but I, on the other hand, want an impartial hearing free from any improper influences, I am sure that in such a large club a committee could be assembled without members with such close ties to the current SCCA BOD by way of them being recent BOD members themselves. I hope that you, the current BOD, and the committee members see the value of an equitable hearing beyond any hint of being unfair to a 48-year member of SCCA. To this end, I am requesting the past BOD members on the committee be substituted with SCCA members in good standing that would be less invested in the decisions and policies of past and present, SCCA BODs

This request is not meant to disparage the integrity of any of the persons involved but just to acknowledge the need and difficulty of being completely impartial in any hearing such as this.

thank you
rick haynes

On May 5 I received an e-mail from Mr XXXXX stating the BOD was confident the members of the committee as constituted could conduct a fair hearing

I was informed on June 19 he hearing was set for June 23

I emailed to following

Mr xxxxx

In preparing for the hearing on june 23 I would like to request that the hearing be recorded and I be supplied with a copy of it and also the hearings' originating complaint.

thank you
rick haynes

I have never been supplied with a copy of the original complaint and as far as I know, the hearing was not recorded.

I e-mail Mr xxxxx again June 21 asking for a copy of the complaint against me and june 22 I was finally supplied with a list of alleged offenses the day before the hearing.

This is where it is appropriate the clear up the question about the deleted posts on the prop site.
On June 20 I went on the prod site to confirm some dates and information on my posts, all the post were there back to Aug 2019
After receiving the list of the allegation on June 22 from scca, some of the quotes that were sent to me did not look accurate, so I went back to the prod site on June 22 and that's when I saw all the post before Dec 17 2019 had been deleted
So I posted about it because it looked like an odd coincidence to me, I made no accusations about it.
Added to that, when I contacted each of the 3 web-masters for the prod site none of them could tell me why or even how it happened.

The hearing was by phone the evening of june 23 and lasted 45 mins
I was asked if I thought my past comments about the directors were abusive. I said no, they were accurate descriptive terms relating to their job performance as directors of SCCA and I have never said anything about anybody of a personal nature. Surprisingly I was not asked one specific question about anything I have said about any individual director, current or past. But I was asked about a posting of mine stating that I had been lied to at the national convention by some directors 25 years ago. Very odd I thought At the conclusion, I was told the committee would make remediation and I would receive the final decision made by the BOD.

On Aug 5 I was informed that the 13 directors had suspended me for one year starting April 16 2020, conveniently beyond the upcoming election date.
In addition, as a condition to be reinstated, I must admit my misconduct and make a statement that I will never do it again.

Note: Given the lack of any specifics about what I did or who I did it to during the trial or the notice of conviction, that may prove to be difficult to word to SCCAs satisfaction but I will guess that's the point of it.

Now for my opinion about what happened.

So do I think I was treated fairly? not even remotely. From the beginning of the trial, it had a prearranged feel about it, but that is what happens when the rules makers, the accuser, the prosecutor, the judge and the jury, are all of the same mind. All the members involved have known I have been critical of the SCCA directors and have used the same language for years so make no mistake about it , This was not about my comments about the directors, it is about keeping me off the ballot and not running for director in Nov. 2020. And allowing Marcus Meridith, the current director and the preferred choice of the BOD to run unopposed, There are people in this club that are willing to do anything to keep me off the ballet and shut me up about the club losing over 3 million dollars in the last 4 year running programs the BOD will not tell the membership about. What is in the finances of pro-racing, scca enterprises and venture that have the current BOD so scared. ? But it has not always been like that.

I have recently talked to Pete Hylton, a scca director from the past , an honest and ethical person who never lied to me [ neither did Carl] and a person I have great respect for. In response to a question about the workings of the BOD when he was a director he replied with this exact quote;

"As for the past, all I can tell you is this: When I got myself elected Treasurer of the Board, back when Carl Haas was Chairman of the Board, there was a tendency for the majority of the Board to not look very hard at the finances of Enterprises. It was as if they did not want to know. I worked with the Financial VP at the time, DeeAnn Knudsen, and I came up with numbers that were frighteningly large. I presented them to the Board at the Board Meeting that took place at the Convention (I no longer recall what year) and told them that they needed to face the membership at the open meeting and tell them the truth and present a plan to recover. There was a hug uproar by several members who said that we could not do that. I said, well, you better be prepared, because I get to give the Financial Report to the members in open meeting, and I had it already written and it told the true numbers at that time. I was met with "you can't do that".....to which I responded "watch me, because I am going to." As everyone else argued, Carl Haas quietly chomped his cigar and when there was a pause in the argument, Carl said something along the lines of "you know - the members don't trust us - if we don't tell them the truth then they shouldn't trust us - so let's let Peter tell them the truth and then deal with it"

I gave my report with the real numbers in the open meeting, and Carl rewrote his chairman's report to go along with it. And while the numbers were breathtakingly large, the open honesty of the report carried the day. The rest of the time I spent on the board was spent trying to work those numbers down and make enterprises self-sustaining. I honestly felt we were going to get there, and then I was defeated by Erik Skirmants in the next Board Election, and I have no idea where it went after that, as I turned my SCCA attention to the Archives and the history books and articles that I wrote, until the time I left America for Scotland.

pete Hylton

Pete was a BOD member and Carl was a chairman that thought that the members had a right to know what was being done with their money no matter the consequences. Now compare that with the way things are done now

But in the end , I lost , people in power at SCCA squashed me like a bug, a risk I always knew was there. I have been an unwelcome voice for 35 years criticizing the SCCA BOD for wasting members' money and I have paid the price in the past with 2 National championships that were won on the track and taken away by SCCA officials that I had run afoul of through the years. So I have always been very aware of some SCCA officials' willingness to use their positions and power to try to silent points of view that they didn't like. All I can do is try to get to the truth, work to get honest people like Pete and Carl on the board and hope for some positive changes in the future, But I can never concern myself with what some people can do to me

And whatever the BOD is hiding from the members will remain that way for now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm 

rick haynes wrote:
And allowing Marcus Meridith, the current director and the preferred choice of the BOD to run unopposed

Not so fast Rick. He will not run unopposed. I have garnered the requisite signatures, they have been vetted and I am now on the ballot for the Area 4 Directorship. Once I get my web page completed, I will post it here and a myriad of other places.

Our current Director has shown an unfitness for the position and I would like to unseat him. While I don't have your "passion" for overthrowing the entire system, I'd like to think that I have something to offer the membership of Area 4 to the BoD.

If anyone in Area 4 (GLDiv) has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at hdf3.wtr80@gmail.com. If you are at MidO this weekend, look for Jason Stine (HP #37) as he has some flyers of mine.

Dayle

(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:22 pm 

Go Dale!

If i was in GLD, you would have my vote.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:26 pm 

Scott Sanda wrote:
Go Dale!

If i was in GLD, you would have my vote.

LOL....I see a "dual memberhsip" in your future.....thanks for the kind words.

Dayle

(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:59 pm 

Dayle
I am happy to hear you will be trying to disrupt the BODs plans to keep Marcus on the board. I totally agree with you about him but be very careful about using words like "unfitness" in reference to a SCCA BOD member. I found out the hard way any adjectives used to negatively describe the job performance of an SCCA BOD member might result in a violation of the members' conduct code and the new social media policy, all which are designed to chill any criticism of the SCCA BOD by the members.
I don't remember stating a wish to overthrow the system. But I do still believe that a 501c nonprofit corporation like SCCA has an obligation of financial transparency to its members which this BOD has not been fulfilling. Do you share that view?

good luck and I wish I could vote for you

rick haynes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:07 pm 

Given the stupidity in their decision making I would have guessed the BOD wasn't well read, and yet, given Rick's current experience, at least one of them must have read this book... "The Trial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trial

The Trial (original German title: Der Process, later Der Proceß, Der Prozeß and Der Prozess) is a novel written by Franz Kafka between 1914 and 1915 and published posthumously in 1925. One of his best-known works, it tells the story of Josef K., a man arrested and prosecuted by a remote, inaccessible authority, with the nature of his crime revealed neither to him nor to the reader."

It's a shame that a club member who's criticisms are meant to move the club in a more appropriate direction (ie, the club members rather than the shrimp eaters) is being treated this way...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 pm 

There are elections for directors in areas 3,4,9 and 11 in Nov. I don't know anything about Jason Isley in 11 , but I do know about and have had contact with the other 3 current directors. Fortunately for the club, Lee Hill in 3 is terming out and I hope his replacement will have a better understanding of the transparency SCCA should be striving for and a better memory too. Marcus has been a problem for over 10 years and go's along with whatever the BOD wants [that why they appointed him and want him back so badly]so hopefully he will be replaced by Dayle in area 4. I have had a recent e-mail conversation with Charlie Davis in 9 and while I don't know his views on any other subjects I can say for certain that he is not in agreement with telling the membership what is going on with the losses in Pro racing of SCCA enterprises. I hope he has an opponent and the members in area 4 get rid of him. As for Jason, given the lockstep the current BOD operates in, it may be possible to surmise his views, but hopefully, Jason will take the time to inform his constituents exactly what are his views about all the lost money and why the members should not be told where the money is going. I hope he will choose to do it on this form. I would encourage people to seek out the candidates and ask them the hard questions about how they think the club should operate and what they think their responsibilities to the members should be. As I have said for years SCCA operates with far too little member oversite and that has lead to a very cavalier attitude by the directors with the members' dues

rick haynes