prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What happened to NOLA?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:23 pm 

I liked running there. Nice track in a fun town. It appears they aren't even running Majors there, much less a Super Tour. Anybody know what happened?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:52 am 

Divisional politics.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:25 am 

Fun track . Roads to get to it are not rig friendly . Low turnout .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:24 am 

Bummer. They had 174 cars at the the 2018 Super Tour. Seems like enough cars to make it worthwhile. Oh, well....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:57 pm 

i heard someone got killed out there in some other car club event and that put either the track or SCCA off. I dont really understand that logic but it is what i was told. I enjoyed the weekend also. the track isnt that much but great location.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:24 pm 

Quick google search.

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/ ... 934c3.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 am 

OK, was going to stay out of this. But none of the above post are the reason we do not race at NOLA. I was the RE of the Houston region when the Super Tour race was pulled from the schedule and that race given to the Atlanta region. I have a list in an email that was sent to me explaining why. NOLA management has been in constant contact with the Houston region asking us to come back and willing to help anyway they can.
I will not post the email, as I do not want to start a firestorm! I will be at the convention and more than willing to answer any questions about NOLA. Richard Tomlin is the new RE for Houston for 2020 and will also be at the convention, it will be his decision about Houston Region racing at NOLA in the future.
Houston Region had a good 5 years of SCCA racing at NOLA and we thank everyone who raced and worked.
Regards
Larry Svaton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am 

So why did NOLA need to be "Super Tour or nothing"? Figure attendance would drop too much to make it sustainable if it were "only" a Majors event?

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am 

Larry Svaton wrote:
OK, was going to stay out of this. But none of the above post are the reason we do not race at NOLA. I was the RE of the Houston region when the Super Tour race was pulled from the schedule and that race given to the Atlanta region. I have a list in an email that was sent to me explaining why. NOLA management has been in constant contact with the Houston region asking us to come back and willing to help anyway they can.
I will not post the email, as I do not want to start a firestorm! I will be at the convention and more than willing to answer any questions about NOLA. Richard Tomlin is the new RE for Houston for 2020 and will also be at the convention, it will be his decision about Houston Region racing at NOLA in the future.
Houston Region had a good 5 years of SCCA racing at NOLA and we thank everyone who raced and worked.
Regards
Larry Svaton

Thanks, Larry! I hope something can be worked out for a future race. I really enjoyed racing there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:35 pm 

kruck wrote:
So why did NOLA need to be "Super Tour or nothing"? Figure attendance would drop too much to make it sustainable if it were "only" a Majors event?

My assumption agrees with yours there. Louisiana has a very small racer count with only a few showing up to TX races. NOLA was traditionally a joint event between SW and SE divisions drawing Florida people west and TX people east. meet in the middle and race in the swamp.

Holding this event as 'just' a majors or a divisional race would almost certainly be a money-loser for the hosting region since it is *unlikely* that many people would drive >10hrs for a non-super tour. NOLA is an 8hr tow from Houston, 11-12 from Austin, Dallas, or San Antonio..
It's ~650 miles from Daytona to NOLA, so same type of tow for the south FL folks..

So yeah.. without it being a super tour, there's unlikely to be enough gravity to attract enough entries.

STU Nissan 240SX