prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:38 pm 

Turning on the wayback machine, in 1973 the Runoffs tow fund was made up from a $10 surcharge to each National entry. The top 3 points earners in each Division were eligible for the fund and 3-6 could move up if any of the top 3 didn't make the trip The tow fund was enough to cover all the fuel costs from the West Coast to Road Atlanta and back home. Of course the fund was apportioned to the distance traveled, with the host Division not getting any part of the fund. Once there, each entry got three free motel nights, but you had to drive to and from the track from the Days Inn on Druid Road in North Atlanta, plus each entry got 5 gallons of race fuel each day. So, based upon inflation, the $20 isn't too bad, but it's unfortunate the other perks have disappeared. Oh, the National Office back then maybe had 10 people working there, now that staff in today's world, is a good example of inflation. The real bad news was, you couldn't buy beer on Sunday, and Gainesville was a dry town.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:48 pm 

Insurance fees go up plus the regions now have a $1000 deductible for physical damage/$2500 to restricted area damage. I just finished writing the supp for the Atlanta Majors and leadership indicated they will not be raising the entry fee from the 2019 fee. Neither CFR or Florida Region changed theirs either. So, the first three SEDiv Majors will be the same fee as 2019. All three regions are NOT passing the increased fees onto the drivers.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:29 pm 

In ancient times the "tow fund" was for the top 3 persons in each division. However if the first three did not attend then the 4th thru 6th were eligible. to collect "tow money". Champion Spark Plugs and then Valvoline payed into the fund. It stopped if I remember correctly when Valvoline stopped sponsoring the Runnoffs. It think it was about the time the event changed to Mid Ohio. I remember getting a check in 1992(Atlanta), but not after that time. The tow fund that year paid for my fuel costs and the entry fee for the event. I miss those times when there was some help for amateur racers. Of course I also miss the $90 entry fees. Back in those days we ran all 6 of the Northern Pacific Nationals and usually 2 in Cal Club since we could use our 6 best finishes including 2 out of division races.