prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 am 

TOPEKA, Kan. (Dec. 20, 2019) -- Sports Car Club of America® has announced the return of a driver-funded contingency program to support competitors achieving success throughout the SCCA® U.S. Majors Tour® in their efforts to attend the National Championship Runoffs®.

https://www.scca.com/articles/2013290-s ... rance-fund

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am 

That's welcome news to me. As with old tow fund you didn't really know how much was in store but you had an idea based on previous years. This is set-up so differently, I wonder what the potential range is. I imagine the some folks and Topeka have figured out a range.

Now I have to see if I can get high enough in the GTL points. On the entry list for Fontana is some guy named Michael Lewis in a Rx7 in GTL (also entered in GT3 and GT1). Then there is Huffaker and Troy Ermish. That's a lot of championships among those guys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:43 am 

So, in GTL, from the 2019 Participation site:

https://www.scca.com/pages/majors-participation-2

103 Total Entries, dived by 36 events = an average of 2.9

That means that only the top 2 positions in each Conference would be eligible for the new "participation fund"

EP, FP, and HP would get 3 positions

EP = 5.6
FP = 4.7
HP = 4.6

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:38 pm 

Does the Majors entry fee go up by $20?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:03 pm 

I don't know the factual answer, but given that the announcement indicated that "$20 from each entry fee" is being used to cover this, and I highly doubt that the SCCA is going to be digging into its own pockets to cover that shortfall, I expect that the sanctioning fee to the regions will increase by at least $20. And given the regions aren't gonna be digging into their own pockets to cover that shortfall, I expect that the difference will be reflected in the entry fees that competitors pay.

"A tax on the masses to subsidize the successful." - mBD

"There's no such thing as a free lunch." - Milton Friedman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:53 pm 

Greg Amy wrote:
I don't know the factual answer, but given that the announcement indicated that "$20 from each entry fee" is being used to cover this, and I highly doubt that the SCCA is going to be digging into its own pockets to cover that shortfall, I expect that the sanctioning fee to the regions will increase by at least $20. And given the regions aren't gonna be digging into their own pockets to cover that shortfall, I expect that the difference will be reflected in the entry fees that competitors pay.

"A tax on the masses to subsidize the successful." - mBD

"There's no such thing as a free lunch." - Milton Friedman

I'll bet more than $20. You have to include all the administration cost on that too.

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:05 am 

Greg Amy wrote:
... and I highly doubt that the SCCA is going to be digging into its own pockets to cover that shortfall, I expect that the sanctioning fee to the regions will increase by at least $20. And given the regions aren't gonna be digging into their own pockets to cover that shortfall,...

SCCA pockets are still our (the members') pockets. Region pockets (ours again) are mostly empty. So ...

Readers with a long memory will recall the tent meetings at the 2011 Runoffs, where the SCCA planning committee presented the Majors concept. The Majors were to be self-supporting via sponsorship. In fact, the Club hired someone to drum up sponsorship. Somehow that self-supportedness never happened, and the rainmaker was promoted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:38 am 

Since I typically finish in the 6-10 range I guess I will just be a contributor to the fund for the fast people to collect.

Dave Reiter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:16 am 

Ya, isn't it nice to know you get to put money in the pocket of the guy kicking your ass.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:29 pm 

According to the 2020 Program Event Fees rate sheet, which was published today, sanction fees for regionals goes up $1/entry, and the sanction fee for Majors remains the same as 2019.

Rich Rock