prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:33 am 

AJayToRememberr wrote:
Al Seim wrote:
At risk of being an old fogey with Internet paranoia - is this map readily publicly findable?

I'd hate to add my info to a public registry of "where to go to steal tools and stuff"..

Currently shareable to anyone with the link. So anyone who has the link can find it, but its not going to show up on some google search. Strangers on the internet wont stumble upon it. I can't promise if someone wasn't really looking for you for some reason though that they couldn't find the link. I grew up on the internet and am maybe a little more comfortable that most with it. I would argue there are much easier ways to find you if someone really wanted to though.

Edit: Reread this. The only info you give is your hometown. No home address.

I'm reasonably Internet savvy - created my first website in the 1990s. As long as one needs the link to find the list I'm not concerned about it. I DO feel quite strongly that most people don't think hard enough before putting out info (via Facebook or whatever) that may look very attractive to bad operators who stumble across it.

A policeman neighbor likes to point out "Thieves don't steal what they don't see" - meaning that a small effort in hiding things from public view greatly reduces the odds of theft. No system, physical or digital, is 100% secure, but if people are unaware of something they are unlikely to try very hard to steal it.

Having said that - thanks for creating the list, anything that helps Prod and especially H Prod is a good thing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:43 am 

Other than the fact I can't get anything to work on the site it sounds like a good idea... I think. BTW, I started with computers in 1969. Crude then but they worked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:23 am 

Anybody breaks in my garage will be greatly disappointed. The tools in my garage are slap worn out from being used all these years. I look at my son-in-laws tool box and they all look brand new. They are hardly used. I look in my toolbox and the poor tools are used and abused.

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:45 am 

Al Seim wrote:

Having said that - thanks for creating the list, anything that helps Prod and especially H Prod is a good thing!

I would more than love to have all the production classes on one map, but also like the idea of having them separate when needed. I currently don't see an easy way to import/export this data unfortunately where we could simply create separate maps and then combine them into one large one. Perhaps down the line I will endeavor into the other prod classes, or if someone else wants to, but for now just H is enough to keep up with for me and Mike.

'84 VW GTI Rabbit | HP #18
Rochester, NY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:59 pm 

Al Seim wrote:
AJayToRememberr wrote:
Al Seim wrote:
At risk of being an old fogey with Internet paranoia - is this map readily publicly findable?

I'd hate to add my info to a public registry of "where to go to steal tools and stuff"..

Currently shareable to anyone with the link. So anyone who has the link can find it, but its not going to show up on some google search. Strangers on the internet wont stumble upon it. I can't promise if someone wasn't really looking for you for some reason though that they couldn't find the link. I grew up on the internet and am maybe a little more comfortable that most with it. I would argue there are much easier ways to find you if someone really wanted to though.

Edit: Reread this. The only info you give is your hometown. No home address.

I'm reasonably Internet savvy - created my first website in the 1990s. As long as one needs the link to find the list I'm not concerned about it. I DO feel quite strongly that most people don't think hard enough before putting out info (via Facebook or whatever) that may look very attractive to bad operators who stumble across it.

A policeman neighbor likes to point out "Thieves don't steal what they don't see" - meaning that a small effort in hiding things from public view greatly reduces the odds of theft. No system, physical or digital, is 100% secure, but if people are unaware of something they are unlikely to try very hard to steal it.

This shouldn’t have anything more than an entry list / results sheet would show. I think the biggest risk for a security breach is on the regional level. I’d hope National would have their ducks in a row in that regard.

Facebook openly sells your information. That’s a difference from a self created list.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:42 pm 

I added myself.

Note to others - I was unable to do it in Firefox, no problem in Edge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:18 am 

Jon Becker
Martinez California
Triumph Spitfire
MG Midget