prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:35 pm 

Color me surprised. I would have thought allowing 1st gen RX7s that are using 3 link setups to discard their old upper control arms rather than push out the bushings and put them back on to rattle around would have been a no brainer.

Committee response: "2. #27916 (David Mead) Request to Allow Removal of Control Arms Rendered Obsolete Thank you for your letter. There is not a significant advantage to allowing this, yet there's certainly some unintended consequence that could arise from it. Therefore this is not recommended. "

Really? Unintended consequences? The only possible function they could serve is if EVERY other control arm/shock/3rd link/driveshaft came undone, then maybe those upper links would prevent the rear axle from shooting out from under the car and killing somebody in the stands. And we all know what the odds of there being a spectator at an SCCA event in the first place...

On the advantage side, a couple of pounds of useless arms gone, less chance of suspension binding causing a crash, fewer odd clunking noises emanating from under the car, coupled with less driver stress at what the banging noise might be the harbinger of...

I'd be willing to compromise and bolt them inside the chassis as ballast... where they would finally have an actual purpose...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:57 pm 

Is this a level 2 prep ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:52 pm 

I'm sure theyre worried about the quality of the add on link and fitment.

If it comes apart the axle flops out, breaks the drive shaft, tosses the axle with tires across the track , endoing up into the packed stands.
But really .The OE bits are known good value, they suck, but dont fall out . The add ons are fabbed by who knows who?
Lawyers and race cars.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:14 am 

I see the modern Honda 130hp 16-valve DOHC 11.5:1 direct-injection 6800-RPM engine is perfectly acceptable in HProd, yet the legacy Volkswagen 91hp 8-valve pushrod 10.5:1 analog injection 5600-RPM engine is a threat to HP because it is two liters displacement.

They'd actually prefer you first prep the 1.8L 76hp engine to compete against the 91hp 3-valve DOHC Honda (with the Honda being 200# lighter) before they'll consider classifying the +15hp 2L version. So -15% hp and +15% poundage?

Okey doke. Thanks for your reponse.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:58 am 

All that's required for the upper control RX7 links to not clang around and make noise is some window foam insulation. Worked on my RX7 ITA car. I'd sure rather have the two upper links in place if something else broke other than having the rear axle rotate (unintended consequence).

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:20 pm 

I like how the links aren't required to be OEM... so you could, say, sit and cut some "links" out of a piece of sheet aluminum or, hell, balsa wood... put couch foam "bushings" in with plastic bolts and it'd be legal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:14 pm 

I assume this is a slippery slope judgement. The rules are nice enough to let you do whatever for lateral control and torque control but if you could also eliminate part of the suspension then you may be able to make whatever geometry you want with whatever pivot points you want.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:47 pm 

Greg Amy wrote:
I see the modern Honda 130hp 16-valve DOHC 11.5:1 direct-injection 6800-RPM engine is perfectly acceptable in HProd, yet the legacy Volkswagen 91hp 8-valve pushrod 10.5:1 analog injection 5600-RPM engine is a threat to HP because it is two liters displacement.

They'd actually prefer you first prep the 1.8L 76hp engine to compete against the 91hp 3-valve DOHC Honda (with the Honda being 200# lighter) before they'll consider classifying the +15hp 2L version. So -15% hp and +15% poundage?

Okey doke. Thanks for your reponse.

Been down this road with the Volvo and was told 2 liter wasn’t going to happen in HP even with a tractor motor

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:31 pm 

It would seem post #1 is referring to Prep Level 2 because in Prep Level 1, do what you please with parts and pickup points may be moved from OEM, OEM pickup can not be moved in Prep Level 2.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:37 pm 

Interesting note that "2 liter wasn't going to happen in HP even with a tractor motor."
AHEM - the first HP cars were all around 1 liter. The Bugeye Sprite was only 0.948 liter- and around 50 horses. It was indeed a "tractor motor" with a 3.0 inch stroke and a 2.48 inch bore and only 5 ports: two intake, three exhaust. Even with the best full-prep engines 100 horses was about the limit. Just for some perspective here. Joel