prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2020 NE Majors schedule
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:18 am 

It appears that with NASCAR eliminating one race and Indy car pulling the plug altogether we now are now back to having a majors at Pocono. :applause:

The one thing I still don't understand is why we can't eliminate the back to back weekends, ie: Thompson and NJMP.

I'm sure this whole track scheduling thing is far more difficult and time consuming then we can imagine but as evidenced last year one or both of these venues will probably suffer attendance issues which then begs the question.... how much longer can these respective regions continue to hold the event.

I know we had extreme heat at NJMP last year which didn't help but can't something be done to provide a little more breathing room between majors events?

Tom B.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:38 pm 

Back to back weekends is a problem. But in general the schedule looks decent.

My question still is why a “super tour” and majors. And why aren’t super tour events distributed equally amongst conferences. And why isn’t Pitt a dual conference race.

#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:57 pm 

Aaron, it goes back to the Steve Petty attempt in the late 80's to make some races Super Nationals. They were to have more bling and special sponsors. And they were going to be promoted and big spectator events. In short, it was an attempt to make a plain National a sub event. We, the RE's, fought the effort since it made the richer richer and poor poorer. Now we basically have what they wanted. Took 30 years to get it. The National Office has a sponsor and that means $$. And it takes $$ to run the programs. Either they get sponsors or you pay more for your comp license and entry fees.
As for scheduling, it's a tough task now. SCCA events are not anything special for a track and get no preference. Back in the day when tracks had to rely on SCCA workers for their non SCCA races, we had a lot more pull. Now, you take what you can get. Drop the date and it's gone forever. The only chance you have is to try to trade with another organization and they have much the same problem unless it's a track day. They all have to fit into another schedule. Yep, both suffer on back to back within a Division. And personally, I don't like the dual Division Majors. It's usually done to enhance a race at the costs to another race. I won't go into specifics, but I know it cost one region over 50 entries. That's a big loss.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:45 am 

With the new Runoffs qual criteria, I really hope they allow 2 out of conference finishes in conference points championships. Anyone know if this has been discussed??? It might be worth writing a letter...

I also would really like to see the bonus points for beating cars in your class brought back. Winning a majors with 2 cars in your class shouldn't carry as much weight as winning one with 10 cars in your class when it comes to conference or nationwide points championships... But, just my two cents.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Taylor Race Engr/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:57 pm 

I hate it that they set MO and NJMP on the same weekend -

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:00 pm 

NASCAR took the traditional Mid O weekend, unfortunately... The only option was for OVR to do the Majors on the weekend they normally run a Regional. They were able to get back to their traditional Labor Day weekend ROC regional though, so that'll be nice.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Taylor Race Engr/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:17 am 

It never fails, my race season is going to be 7 weeks long again. Pittsburgh > Pocono > The Glen. (I live an hour from The Glen and go to the closest races to save $$$) Obviously I have the choice to go elsewhere, just funny how every year since '16 it's been that way for me. Was hoping with the switch out between MO and Pocono that would change. Really happy to have Pocono on the schedule though, only ever been there as a spectator, cant wait to race it.

'84 VW GTI Rabbit | HP #18
Rochester, NY