prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:57 am 

The short version: Prod racer decides to race even slower than HP (just kidding guys!) and is going to push a wheelchair for a good cause for 13.1 miles. Help support here: https://kyle-pease-foundation-inc.networkforgood.com/projects/88266-bowie-and-peter-s-fundraiser

The rather long version, with pictures:

The background: I'm a longtime SCCA racer, first in IT from '99-'11 then in Prod in an RX-8 from 2012-current(ish). I ran out of money and the kids' activities got super involved, so I FINALLY made it to the Runoffs at Indy, then stepped back a bit from cars to focus on being a parent. I still play occasionally, but not much. Still have the car though, so there's hope...

What popped up to fill the void was running. Never would have expected it, as for most of my life I've looked the part of a desk-jockey weekend racer, if you know what I mean, but it happened. As my running has grown I've met some amazing people, including Kyle and Brent Pease. Kyle was born with Cerebral Palsy and Spastic Quadriplegia. It didn't matter. He's a college graduate, he holds down a full-time job, and in his spare time he and his brother Brent are badass endurance athletes together. They started with a 5k and have grown and grown together, reaching the pinnacle of endurance sports with FOUR full Ironman finishes (that 140.6 miles, y'all!) including completing the 2017 Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii. You may have seen them on TV, the finish line looked like this:

Something exciting has come out of my relationship with the Pease brothers: I get to give back to others. I get to help push the wheelchairs... that means I get to help other people in similar situations to Kyle experience the joy of competition and the thrill of the finish line! For those of you that aren't runners... it feels JUST LIKE one of our finish lines... with maybe a way better M/F ratio. (just sayin')

Why are you telling us all this, dude that I haven't met who barely races anymore? Here's why: I want your help! I've met some of you in real life at races, I've followed some of your exploits remotely, both on this board and via various SCCA livestreams and wishful thinking. Now, I'm coming to this group with my hand out - donate, help me to help the Kyle Pease Foundation continue to grow!!! Help me help a different kind of athlete compete in a different kind of race. Help me to promote inclusion through sports. Help me to enable the Kyle Pease Foundation to grow to provide their in-chair athletes (and they REALLY are athletes) more experiences. Ones that go "Beyond the Finish Line".

On March 1, 2020, I (along with two others, one is a friend of mine named Peter that races a Toyota Supra in LeChamp endurance races, one is a "racer to be named later" - message me if you want to join us and can run a half-marathon) will be pushing a specially built racing wheelchair in the Publix Atlanta Half Marathon in support of the Kyle Pease Foundation. That's 13.1 miles, because we're apparently only half stupid.

It will look like this, except we'll be going slower, and our smiles will be more obviously forced because hills are hard:

The ask: I'm asking for you to donate a little bit to our race. Here's the link: https://kyle-pease-foundation-inc.networkforgood.com/projects/88266-bowie-and-peter-s-fundraiser
The cost of the fuel to the track. Half a tire's worth. Hell, the price of a gallon of that sweet-smelling race gas. Everything helps. We've set our fundraising goal at $2100... I reached out to another group of our friends yesterday and they came through with $900 in a day (A DAY!!!!), so now instead of being terrified that we won't make it, I want to blow that $2100 out of the water! If you decide to donate, please put a comment about prod racing so I truly know who to thank. The foundation is a legitimate thing, all donations are tax-deductible, etc ad nauseum.

The feels: I think we're pushing Curtis:
Curtis is amazing! Curtis can't walk, but he's completed everything from 5Ks to a half Ironman (70.3 miles) with the foundation, and will be pulling us forward relentlessly: "GO GO GO GO GO!"

The outcome: I hope we'll finish in about 2:15. I'm POSITIVE we'll make a difference!

The link again: https://kyle-pease-foundation-inc.networkforgood.com/projects/88266-bowie-and-peter-s-fundraiser

The tagline: Together WE wheel!

EP 2004 RX-8 #13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:37 am 

I'm in on Friday. I can also vouch for Bowie - he's a good guy, fellow prod racer and fellow runner.