prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am 

I’m still not sure why we have majors and super tour which counts as a majors. This just confuses the whole thing. Go back to just majors

and...WTF does this mean:
Quote:
• SCCA Regional Event Weekends: Participation in 1 U.S. Majors Tour event weekend may be replaced or
substituted with participation in 2 Regional event weekends, but you must still complete the Majors Path race
finish and Majors Path point standings portion of the qualification criteria.
If a Region holds a Majors event with
a Regional‐sanctioned run group and a driver participates in both the Majors and Regional run group in the
same Runoffs‐eligible class, only Majors credit will be earned toward qualification. Regional events must occur
between January 1, 2020 and a date not less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the Runoffs (September 22, 2020)
and may be in any division. Excludes Enduros.

the way that is written if you do the division route and do one majors, you also have to finish 3 majors races even though there are only 2 AND you have to be in the top 50% of the majors points? Does this then mean you can't qualify with the divisional route?

Who writes this stuff...you have turned something simple into a complex and convoluted 2 page PDF

#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 pm 

A lot of you are looking at last years rules.

These are the new rules for 2020, released yesterday.

https://www.scca.com/articles/2013221-r ... s-for-2020

They have not updated the GCR yet, but this says they will.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:07 pm 

STOP THE PRESS'S........

The rules now read "top 50%". So some time between initial publication the other day, and late yesterday, it was changed.

So, no worries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:05 pm 

Scott Sanda wrote:
STOP THE PRESS'S........

The rules now read "top 50%". So some time between initial publication the other day, and late yesterday, it was changed.

So, no worries

Top 50% of Majors or Supers? Cause if you have 4 drivers in a class in your Majors conference and you finish 3rd... you don't make the cut... Do you mean minimum top 10 or top 50%, whichever is greater???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:13 pm 

Greg Amy wrote:
So you want to restrict drivers to only being able to win their Conference of record? I suggest that won't fly, and I'd personally not support the concept. After all, given the qualification scenario we know now, drivers can make that choice for themselves.

But...well Dave, you are aware the process to get that idea started...

Edit: example: I live in Connecticut but am choosing to rent a race car from a Florida-based team. In your scenario above, I'd have to declare my region of record to a SEDiv region (I'm not actually doing that, just spitballing an example).

Really Greg? It's too difficult to pick your Conference based on the bulk of your driving? Hoosier Super Tour will still allow you to travel all over and accrue points. You can't take those Majors points from FL back to your home conference, so what difference does it make to a Majors driver? If you think you are going to be driving enough in the SE to claim that championship then just declare one of the SE regions as your region of record. There is no upside in claiming 2 Majors championships. Pick one and let the others crown their own champion...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 am 

They need to be more flexible in considering majors races as joint conference events. Example: a couple of years ago they put Mid-Ohio super tour event as both northern and NE. I like to run MO every year since my buds from Michigan can come down and crew, and it's not too awful a tow for me (better than facing the traffic to get to Thompson or Lime Rock). If they'd expand the conference applicability standard it'd make things easier for those who run out of conference. Me, I run VIR, Summit Point, and NJMP every year, and possibly Pitt this coming year to make sure I qualify. I'd run more but even in retirement I find I am working almost as much as when I was employed fulltime -
another comment: It would be nice if they'd make all majors 3 day events, to give competitors some track time and extra time to fix what inevitably breaks -

#27 H Prod Midget
WDC Region

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:07 am 

mmacquee wrote:
It would be nice if they'd make all majors 3 day events, to give competitors some track time and extra time to fix what inevitably breaks -

While more track time is always nice, smaller regions might have a hard time getting workers for Fridays of those 3 day weekends you asking for.

Dayle

(please do NOT PM me through this site as I cannot respond to them)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:07 am 

It’s 50% if your class in a conference has over 20 cars. 100 cars in class and 50 drivers get an invite if they run 3 majors.

If your class has under 20 cars 10 drivers get invited.

Also at Majors points only pay to 20th.

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:33 am 

Why do "we" care about the conference designation as far as points and such go? Why can't anyone race anywhere at any SCCA race majors or regionals, in or out of conference and not transfer/combine/etc those points to qualify for the majors?

I can see the whole keeping the conferences for "divisional" type racing, establishing divisional championships, etc but why shouldn't a racer be able to out of their conference and race as many races as they want and use those points to qualify for the majors? What difference does it make?

(I obviously do not understand all of the nuances of the way things are divided up.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:00 am 

Keep the new race requirements and drop the rest.
Enforce the 115% rule for the race.

Letter # 27976 requesting this.