prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 pm 

Some big changes for 2020.

https://www.scca.com/articles/2013221-runoffs-qualification-criteria-changes-for-2020?fbclid=IwAR02qpfcJU9gOfKmZV3gQvFT1smnp5gmegiuXfYmaKmgOxcw2E7tfbsy-vo

While the first step toward qualifying for the Runoffs through the U.S. Majors Tour program is to participate in three separate events, for 2020, the requirement for three race “starts” criteria has been replaced with three U.S. Majors Tour race “finishes.” A finish is defined as completing at least half of the laps of the overall race winner.

Also for 2020, performance requirements have been reinserted into Runoffs qualifying criteria for the U.S. Majors Tour path. Those receiving an invite to the 2020 Runoffs must place in the top half of a car class’s Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA® Super Tour Points Championship or a U.S. Majors Tour Conference Points Championship by the end of the “regular” season. For classes with 20 or fewer participants, Runoffs invitations will be offered to those finishing in the top 10 of the class.

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:57 pm 

I prefer it open , Like it was . In conjunction with a 112% of pole rule . Come. spend your money, practice. qualify, race if you're fast enough . If not watch the races and enjoy the week .

We will lose half of the entries for Prod . GTL will die ,.
I dont see how this can add to our business model financially or socially .
I thought that we had settled on a path . Did we get a vote? WTF.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:43 pm 

Mike, how many conferences have more than 20 cars in prod or GTL? Top 10 would go.

Example.
Northern conference had 20 EP cars get points. Only 8 cars qualified for the Runoffs running 3 weekends. All 8 get an “invitation.”

I don’t see this effecting to many people. Except the start and parkers. Now you have to make an effort.

2009 Mazda MX-5 12A GTL #04
SCCA Member #97968

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:21 pm 

Mazda Jon wrote:
Mike, how many conferences have more than 20 cars in prod or GTL? Top 10 would go.

Example.
Northern conference had 20 EP cars get points. Only 8 cars qualified for the Runoffs running 3 weekends. All 8 get an “invitation.”

I don’t see this effecting to many people. Except the start and parkers. Now you have to make an effort.

You are correct. There may be a few SM and SRF driver's who won't make it but up if they up their game...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:50 am 

How does going out of division work? St. Louis is the 2nd closest track to me but it's out of division. Will points transfer?

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:01 am 

Just received the SCCA e-mail with the qualification rules. Check your e-mail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:11 am 

Not a major (har de har) change. In fact, it's mostly window-dressing. I suggest if you took the time to review the Runoffs entrants list and compare that to their season results, you'll find that not much would have changed, if anything.

Said differently, I suggest you'll find that the vast majority of Runoffs entrants actually finished in the top half of the Super Tour points and/or their Majors Conference Championship. It's not difficult; there's so many people out there that just enter their one local Majors and/or Super Tour race that the number of racers scoring points is high; this high volume of entrants skews the median points way way down.

Example: Northeast Conference, EProd. 30 drivers scored points; 15th position - the median - scored 42 points and did not run enough events to qualify for the Runoffs. In fact, no driver below 13th position did so. I personally attended three events, finished 6 races, and scored 105 points. I lost the championship by 7 points (which is 14th place in any race). All I had to do was score points in one more race (or not freaking run out of fuel on Sunday at VIR - dee dah freakin dee) to win the thing...but wife's birthday was the weekend of the NJMP Majors, so... :drunk:

Another example, Northeast Conference Spec Miata. 119 drivers scored Majors points. 60th position scored 15 points to the champion's 117, yet did not attend enough races to qualify for the Runoffs. The lowest points position to participate in enough races to qualify was 55th.

So in both spot-checked cases, the requirement to score in the top half of the field would not have changed the Runoffs qualifications results.

The only persons that this would alienate would be those that may have done the "start and park" (who in the hell did that for three Majors?) and/or those that experienced absolutely terrible luck during the season and didn't finish 3 of 6 races (who was that?)

I'm OK with this change but the bar hasn't really been lifted much here, if at all.

GA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:21 am 

I just thought of a way this may affect driver behavior. And that's the driver that may want to attend Majors events in multiple Conferences that are *not* Super Tours.

Let's say, for example, a guy lives in Kentucky and wants to attends some Majors races and qualify for the Runoffs. Normally, he'd run his three closest/preferred races: Road Atlanta (Southeast), Mid Ohio (Northern), and St Louis (Mid-States). Last year, he attended three Majors, finished six races, and accumulated the requirements to qualify.

In 2020, he's fooked. None of those races are Super Tour events, and each of them is in a different Conference. Despite having met the participation requirements, he won't able to accumulate enough points for the median for either the Super Tour any Conference. Instead, he decides...what?

So this system kinda reverts back to the old Divisional Championship model, where you had to focus on one particular championship (and hope to finish top-3 in order to be guaranteed an invitation).

Is this good or bad? I guess this guy will have to decide for himself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:29 am 

Greg,
Thanks for muddling the conversation with Data and facts.
I was under the impression that most Majors racers wanted to go the Ruboffs.

We were looking at Sebring, COTA, Road America.
MM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:33 am 

I'm a SE Div driver. I finished 17th in points in the SEDiv and participated in 2 SEDiv Majors (Sebring and Charlotte). Instead of going to VIR in April, which is in Conference but 8 1/2 hours away, I went to St. Louis to run the Majors. I finished 7th in points in MidDiv. I completed 4 races, participated in 3 different Majors. Do I go as a Mid-Div driver? I can't go as a SEDiv driver. In 2021, this will change my plans for sure.

What about the ones that do cross over and they finish top 10 in 2 different conferences, does the 11th place guy in one of the conferences gets to go now?

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX