prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:01 am 

rick haynes wrote:
I am on the ballot for SCCA area 4 director. I am making my notice under this topic because the financials are the reason I have decided to run and this is where I would like to keep any future conversation that might take place

Marcus Merideth is the current director and he will be hard to beat if he runs again. I hear he is very popular with the solo racers which far outnumber the road racers. So based just on that winning will be a problem plus Marcus is a nice guy. I have met and talked to Marcus a few times and emailed many times.
I like him but it goes without saying we agree on virtually nothing about how the club should be run. And let me state clearly Marcus has never lied to me about anything, The main reason is he has never said anything of substance to me in response to my direct questions to him. He just said nothing but, "we don't like the way things are and we are trying the change it".

I am sure it is not lost on anyone that this is an odd place to start, what with the question being, will I get kicked out of SCCA before the election even takes place. It's clear that Lee Hill and several contributors to this website would like to see that happen. But I am encouraged that more people have expressed agreement with my position if not with my approach. But in my defense, I have written, e-mailed, gone to national conventions and talked to directors in person since 1984 [ starting with KC Van Niman] and in the last 4 years the club has lost over 3 million dollars and no one will tell the membership what happened to it. So it's clear I have been wasting my time and their's with just talking to BOD members about it..

Whatever happens with Lees' efforts to get me out of the club, I Intend to make all the correspondence [charges] from the club to me and my responses [defense] public on this form. I will expect a fair hearing but in all my years in SCCA I have never won one, so I am realistic about it.

Below are the regions in area 4. I hope to go the some of the monthly meetings to pitch my cause with the hope some people will vote for me.

Central Kentucky Region (#74)
Cincinnati Region (#70)
Columbus Sports Car Club (#64)
Detroit Region (#10)
Fort Wayne Region (#85)
Indiana Northwest Region (#75)
Indianapolis Region (#13)
Kentucky Region (#17)
Neohio Region (#24)
Northern Ohio Valley Region (#89)
Northwestern Ohio Region (#28)
Ohio Valley Region (#29)
River Cities Region (#51)
Saginaw Valley Region (#100)
South Bend Region (#35)
Southern Indiana Region (#36)
Southern West Virginia Region (#47)
West Kentucky Region (#116)
Western Michigan Region (#6)
Western Ohio Region (#86)

rick haynes

I would suggest Facebook as a campaign medium, try to get a few people to get your name out on those regions webpages and facebook pages. regions electronic newsletters are not read enough to be effective. key to the whole deal is to get people to vote.

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:59 pm 

The contracts that the SCCA BOD blamed all the pro-racing losses on expired the end of 2018, Venture, which includes SCCA enterprise and pro-racing lost $923,000.00 in 2019. This shows what nonsense this excuse by the BOD has been all these years. 2019 loss is all the responsibility of the current directors. No one left to point the finger at.

rick haynes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:24 pm 

I haven't posted anything about the pro-racing losses for a while because I was hoping that Dayle Frame, the new Greats Lakes director might have something to say about it, But having seen nothing on the subject, I emailed him this on July 14.

Dayle
I have been keeping up with your newsletter and it sounds like you have been very busy, I waited until you had time to get oriented before contacting you about the Pro racing losses over the last 5 years, I was hoping you would be talking more about the club's financials but except for a few comments like this,

" Jeff Dahnert has done a great job managing our funds. We had another good month and are well above our projected budget."
I haven't seen anything specific.

Have you requested any information about the source of the pro losses? where the money went and who got it? And how pro racing intents to pay back the 3.14 million dollars it got from SCCA inc and the membership during the years 2016 to 2019? [no news on 2020 as yet?] When do you think you will be in possession of the information and when do you plan to release it to the membership? I am sure that you are very busy with club affairs but can you think of anyone single issue as important to the club as the mismanagement that lead to the drain of millions of dollars from the membership to unknown recipients? All done without one word of explanation to the members about what was done with the money. Also, what is the bod doing about paying down the over $400,000.00 SCCA Enterprize debt? These money issues are very important but don't seem to get much attention so far.

thanks
rick

As of yet I have not gotten a response
To be clear I don't think Dayle owes me a reply, on this subject I would have been surprised to get one, I have asked BOD members many times for financial information about club losses so I learned long ago that SCCA directors, old or new do not like talking about what happens to the members' money. But I was hoping that in the 1st six months as a Bod member he would have looked into it and felt he had an obligation to say something publicly about it. It appears not to be the case.

If you have read any of the 2 Venture Update in the SCCA magazine, sep 2019 and nov 2020 dates, you might have noticed that neither article had any explanations of the financials in the departments where all the losses are taking place in SCCA. Very odd considering that the membership is required to pay for all the losses of Pro-racing , SCCA ent, and now Ventrue in any fiscal year. So how is it possible to report to the membership on them without any mention of the dollars involved? Pro racing losses in 2016 were $742,557, 2017 ,$550.184 2018 $956.829, and 2019 was $830,519 that's over a 3 million dollar loss in just 4 years.
The exact loss in 2018 and 2019 is not clear because that is after pro-racing and enterprise were combined into Venture so it can not be known where the losses come from. But that's the reason the BOD invented Venture, so it would be "unclear" from which source generated the losses. The BOD publicly stated they formed Venture to improved their oversite for the club's 2 for-profit subsidiaries when it's clear they did it to further confuse the membership about the for-profit's finances. The BOD has expected the membership to subsidized these losses year after year without even the courtesy of telling the members what the money is being spent on. And the fact is that SCCA 's BOD's 2 attempts to inform the membership about Venture while avoiding saying anything about the dollars involved show's the BOD intention is to keep this financial information permanently from the membership. So what are they hiding? Why can't the members be told who got the money?

One of the things in the Nov article is that Tony Panella is taking over the F3 and F4 race series, which is good and it is also, at last, an acknowledgment that the SCCA BOD does not have the expertise to run a pro racing series profitably anymore. But I think you have to wonder what's in the new contracts that the BOD signed with Tony. Tony has the Tran-am now, so is SCCA still subsidizing the Trans-am while Tony runs it? We had a big pro racing loss after Tony got the trans-am, so was all the reported loss in SCCA from F3 and F4 in 2019? Or did Tony structured a contract that was advantageous for Tony and left the SCCA membership still paying the bills?

I know Tony is a good businessman, So It is fair to be concerned about what the BOD has gotten the membership committed to again, Are they bad contracts, costing the members even more money? By their own admission, the BOD lack of proper attention to pro racing matters has proved to be very expensive for the club, meaning the dues-paying members, Have they done it again? And as important will the common member ever know? Or will it just show up as more red ink? But it does seem to be clear that the BODs plan is to farm out the pro race series, to cut the losses as much as they can, and then hope that the membership has a short memory about their management that lead to the 3 million dollars loss. But this is one of the problems, SCCA recycles members for BOD positions and the membership should know if any candidates or present Bod members running for reelection had a part in the mismanagement that led to the losses.

we were told in the 2018 SCCA BOD financial report that stated:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Looking Ahead

There have been a number of significant changes that will be reflected in SCCA’s incorporated future financial reports. First key SCCA pro partners have stepped forward-Hankook, Honda performance development, and liger have all shown increased commitments to the success of F 3 and F4. Second SCCA ventures will continue to offer oversight into contract negotiations for its entities. Third, the SCCA pro racing staff includes Scott Goodyear and Sydney Davis Yagel are extremely innovative and capable. And finally, F4 and F3 are now structured to succeed, along with several fee-for-service racing series signing on for SCCA pro racing sanctioning.

Indeed pieces are in place for SCCA pro racing to turn the corner in 2019, for SCCA enterprises to continue as a profitable operation, and for SCCA Inc to continue its solid financial performance."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We all now know nothing of what was predicted about Venture in the BOD report came true in 2019. And for the record SCCA enterprises has never been a profitable operation over its lifetime and at last, count was $400,000 dollars in debt to SCCA inc. As to the "profit", it has been showing the last few years, until it is clear how much SCCA Ent relies on other departments of SCCA inc. for support that is open to question. Remember in past years over $120,000.00 of Pro racing's expenses was charged to SCCA inc to make the pro racing balance sheet look better before someone caught it and put it right. According to talks I had with a past director I trusted and I do not believe ever lied to me, the debt is much more. In fact his comment to me was " I don' think the BOD even knows how much Enterprize owes the club and they don't even want to think about it".
It is clear from past events that criticizing the BOD members and asking questions about what they are doing with the member's money can be risky. At this time I don't think the BOD feels they are in any danger of having their secrets revealed, what with the elections over and no one on the board [ new or old] showing any support for financial transparency in SCCA. It could very well be true that everything was done properly and ethically but if that's the case you have to think, would it not be better for the BOD to just tell the members what they did with the millions that they have not yet accounted for. I would like to believe that there are BOD members right now that would like to do that but peer pressure is a powerful motivator to a go-along to get along type of person. But you have to think " what are they hiding"?

Of course, the worse case would be that someone may have improperly benefited financially from what has been going on and until the BOD decides it is in the member's best interests to open the books to the light of day I don't think any possibility should be discounted,

Scca is required by the SCCA By-laws, the laws of Connecticut, and Federal tax laws that regulate the activities for 501{c}{4} non-profit corporations like SCCA inc. to file a complete financial report of all income and expenses every year. SCCA inc has failed to comply with this requirement, along with failing to follow other proper management practices for decades. They haven't even complied with the cub's own By-laws. . Member oversight is critical in any organization, therefore complete financial transparency is necessary to reveal possible malfeasance, conflicts of interest, fraud and the improper diverting of funds is the responsibility of the BOD to the membership. SCCA has no special status that exempts them from that scrutiny.

I think the membership should be told the truth by the SCCA BOD about what happened to the 3 million dollars they lost, where it went, and into whose pockets it ended up. The transparency I have been demanding is for the protection of the organization's members and a lack of it only serves to shield a board of directors and their managers from having to take responsibility for their actions. It is time that the BOD starts showing the membership some respect and stop treating them like their own personal cash cow.

If you want to see the 2018 BOD report complete, E-mail me and I can send it to you, rickhaynes3@yahoo.com

rick haynes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:30 pm 

I have been suspending from SCCA permanently by the BOD, so ends my 47-years racing with SCCA. This news will no doubt be met with great glee by my critics but I hope most will see it as a dark day for any hope for transparency in the club. The reason given by the BOD was my violation of the Social media policy enacted by the BOD. [see above] The policy that was meant to chill criticism of the BOD is being used for just that. But make no mistake, this has never been about anything I have said about them, it is about the BOD's anger and frustration with not being able to intimidate me into stopping my pursuit into what they did with the 3 million dollars that disappeared from the club and into pro racing between 2016 and 2019. And to find out if any one in this club profited from it.

For the membership, it shows that the BOD will not tolerate any meaningful criticism of themselfs and most importantly they have shown a willingness to resort to intimidation to keep any subject of their mismanagement of the club's money from being publicly talked about. The directors have flexed their muscles and got what they wanted all along,, for now,, but the way the BOD members both past and present have sought to coverup the pro-racing scandal has discredited themselves, and their efforts to intimidate anyone daring to challenge them brings shame to the club

To do what they have done they must be a very frightened group of people worried what they have done behind closed doors might
come to light someday What are they hiding?

rick haynes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:26 pm 

You got thrown out for just questioning the borderline illegal accounting practices being utilized by the SCCA? Hell, at least I got the pleasure of being thrown out for telling the BOD, COA, and President of SCCA to go fornicate (f*ck) themselves with anatomical specificity...

And I have had an absolutely stellar summer boating with family...

Good riddance, SCCA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:46 pm 

I like boats, I have a boat,, but is this the choice that is being forced on the membership by the BOd today? Accept SCCA being run by people engaged in unethical behavior by trying to hide the loss of 3 million dollars of the member's money or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, go row a boat?

That is not even remotely acceptable to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:57 am 

Read "Don Quixote" and then realize the folly of your actions.

The SCCA is not interested in a fair outcome. In 33 years of being involved I have seen so many transgressions and outright falsehoods perpetrated by the powers that be that it gets to the point that remaining in the club is hypocritical of me. I became dissatisfied years ago but stuck around because the bulk of my friends were involved, not to mention the drivers who relied on my cars to race.

That is done now. Good riddance...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:51 pm 

I have filed a lawsuit in Franklin County common pleas court against SCCA , The complaint alleges the SCCA BOD has used SCCA funds improperly and intentionally misrepresent their actions and intentions and were responsible for the millions of dollars that were lost in SCCA pro racing, SCCA enterprises, and Venture from 2016 to 2019. And that the SCCA BOD failed to fulfill its contractual and legal obligations to the membership by not reporting all the required financial information mandated by law, to the SCCA membership.
It also alleges that the plaintiff's, [me] membership was improperly terminated without due process, was done in bad faith and in retaliation for the plaintiff's persistent inquires into the club's finances and to stop the plaintiff from running for SCCA director in the Great Lakes division in 2020.

I have been doing this long enough to know that many people are very uncomfortable with any challenge to authority and will not like what I am trying to do, but I also know from talking to people personally that others will approve but will sit by quietly for fear of being the next to feel the wrath of SCCA BOD. That's fine with me, for despite the price I have paid through the years for making my opinions public, I regret nothing because it was and is now the right thing to do. I am sure that the BOD will contest the lawsuit as vigorously as they have done in keeping their secrets about the club's finances, But,,

If I prevail SCCA operations and finances could become more transparent as is required by the club's bylaws and the authorities regulating non -profit organizations like SCCA . And it will benefit the membership by reminding the SCCA BOD members of their primary obligation [and really their only obligation] is to the membership and not to the people that profit from SCCA subsidizing nonproductive activities

If I lose, the opinions of many past, present, and unfortunately some of the newly elected BOD members as well, will dominate, That opinion is that the members are only entitled to know what the BOD and others in positions of power within the club hierarchy want the members to know regardless of what the rules and the law requires.
I think that is a very dangerous atmosphere for a club like SCCA to operate under.

So how do you want the case to be decided?

A copy of the complaint is available

rick haynes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14