prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Runoffs schedule posted
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:32 pm 

HP and FP share the track for all three qualifiers.
EP is alone.
GTL and GT3 share the track for all three qualifiers.

T3 has their own group. Is that a lot bigger class than I remember these days?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 pm 

Believe me when I say that the T cars should NEVER be mixed in the GT or Prod classes!!!! The groupings for Prod are about as good as you can do with the number of cars involved on track. Unfortunately F and H is going to be crowded.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:16 pm 

Done on track by lunch every day. Lot's of time to play around. I plan to each lunch before FP/HP so we can have lot's of post qualifying visiting time. The whistler will be back this year.

HP guys need to find a FP dance partner. Toni and I did it at Road Atlanta to the tune of over 2 seconds for her on just two laps of dancing. Match those bumpers for a smooth dance. Wait, they have a touching rule now, don't they? Too bad but can they see you after you pass the tower headed to one? There's lot's of dance room there.

If the HP/FP entry gets too large, maybe they could consider combining each class with EP for one day so that all three classes would have one day of one class only qualifying. Just a thought. That appears to be the only possibility other than what they have now. Hopefully, something can be worked out. It would be nice to see 45 cars in each class.

I also scratched my head when I saw T3 alone each day. Seems they could have given the T2 guys a break one day. Oh well, I don't write the schedule anymore.

See some of you at VIR next weekend.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 pm 

I'm glad its posted now. Been planning on running FP, EP and STL and I am happy that it will be fairly easy to do given the schedule. I vowed to either race multiple classes or spectate after running FP in 2016. Should be fun. Now I just need to finish a good EP car.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:13 am 

They tried the idea of "run combined sessions, but give everyone at least one session by themselves" idea, but people compained about the schedule not being the same every day. They tried three qualifying sessions spread out over four days, to allow for more time so everyone got more open track, and people complained about having an off day. They tried having four days of qualifying with everyone out every day, to give people more opportunity to set their lap, and people complained that the event was too long. So let's try this...

The FP/HP run group is going to have 70 cars, with "only" three 18 minute sessions, I'd say it's safe to assume that at least one of those will be wet, and the track doesn't do hot pulls. Only need one ~2:07 window over three days, with a good track and no traffic... :think:

ruckracing honda's:
'15 & '10 Runoffs FP Champion
'10, '09, & '08 ARRC ITA/ITB Champion

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 am 

kruck wrote:
They tried having four days of qualifying with everyone out every day, to give people more opportunity to set their lap, and people complained that the event was too long. So let's try this...

It blows my mind that people complained about this, and that our reaction was to cut Monday off the schedule. This changes almost nothing for almost everyone except we get one fewer sessions and one day less of adjustments to get everything in order for a grid pretty well aligned with driver/car potential on race day. Anyone coming from any distance still needs to take the whole week off. So now we get 3 combined sessions, less open track, less margin for error and likely at exactly the same registration cost.

I'm not impressed, but we will make it work. :|

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:58 am 

They had a schedule one year that had everyone with a day off in return for getting one session stand-alone. For combined groups i thought that was very important but they never did it again. As far as shortening the event , they really do need to try and limit the time required for younger drivers with limited vacay . the problem is that one day doesn't mean much in a 10-12 day tow-race week-tow commitment. Dont know what the answer is to that without gutting the event. In today's fast-paced world maybe time has passed the runoffs by to some extent? I myself have gotten into a pattern of doing a test day for max track time and then flying back to work for a few days before rejoining for a couple days of qual and race.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:59 pm 

THe Upside is the track is over 3 miles long and the count per mile will not be that crazy for HP/FP. The downside is 18 min is only 7 laps maybe and that decreases the chances of getting one clean lap. Throw in rain one day and a black flag another and it could get weird. But hell its a 40+ Minute race. If you can't get to the front in 40 minutes you don't deserve to win anyway.

FP Mazda Miata
IT7 RX7
2nd Gen STL EP RX7

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:45 am 

kruck wrote:
They tried the idea of "run combined sessions, but give everyone at least one session by themselves" idea, but people compained about the schedule not being the same every day. They tried three qualifying sessions spread out over four days, to allow for more time so everyone got more open track, and people complained about having an off day. They tried having four days of qualifying with everyone out every day, to give people more opportunity to set their lap, and people complained that the event was too long. So let's try this...:
It is clear that there will always be someone to complain about whatever you do. But what irks me is that quite often the ones that complain the loudest are the fringe players. Drivers who would like it to be a one-day regional-type event and don't want to travel more than exit 6 on the closest interstate. If it isn't the biggest and most important thing you do all year, then find a new sport, but don't stand in the way of or screw up the program for the people for whom it is.

Some of this comes along with the ability to get invited without much of a commitment. If you had to work your ass off just to be able to go it would be a little more important. I liked the four days of qualifying with at least one session alone. Only three days with all of the sessions combined kinda sucks. My two cents.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 am 

The Monday thing bugs me too. It's not like it's shortening the event, it's just making people pay for the first day of the Runoffs IMO.