prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: $1,000,000.00
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm 

One million dollars is the amount Scca Pro racing cost this "club" in 2018. If you haven't read this anywhere its because the BOD doesn't want anybody to think about it too much. Added to the $750,000 lost is 2017 and the $500,000 lost in 2016, that makes 2 and 1/4 million dollars of members money that was pored down the rat hole that SCCA pro racing has become. Each year I ask my area director what are the prospects of Pro racing and Scca enterprises turning a profit and the answer is always the same. "We are turning a corner and this will be the year it is in the black" As you can see it looks to be going in the wrong direction as it has for about 20 plus years now. My director Marcus Marideth won't even respond to questions about it anymore from an SCCA member. He should be embarrassed to answer, he has been part of the problem for some time. So, did you get your monies worth? Do you even know what Pro racing does or what your money is being used to subsidize? Can you name the series they manage? I see on the cover of the SCCA magazine at the end of the year some driver that won some series and I wonder how much of my money went to support their racing. The BOD is absolutely shamelessly irresponsible in their fiduciary duties to the membership whos money they waste year after year.

And I wonder what enterprise cost us this year? but don't expect to read about it in the Scca magazine either.

Post subject: Re: $1,000,000.00
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:52 am 

rick,

if pro racing and enterprises continually lose big bucks, why haven't the programs been terminated?

who's responsible for continuing them?

is anyone in the organization a fiduciary?

if given a vote, it would look like a no brainer to stop the massive losses.

am I missing something?

tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am 

Rick,
Only one way to stop it .... lawsuit.

I should have sued the Board in 2014. [But I've told you that already....]
Peter

#45 GTLite Nissan 200SX
2008 GTLite Nat'l Champ
2009 "Got my butt kicked"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:52 am 

You can stop it by voting in directors that will do something about it. Unfortunately most members just want to race or run solo and don't pay much attention to the governance of the club. I really don't care. I got disgusted with SCCA and dropped my membership several years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am 

Enterprises isn't a money loser. It is being used to fund Pro. One of the reasons Skirmants "left" was because he "underpriced" the Gen 3 conversions against the wishes of the BOD, and fought them about price increases.

Price increases that get funneled to Pro, or other pet projects. Why do you think the BOD created Ventures, the holding company for enterprises and pro: so they could mingle the finances. Peter J, the new Cendiv director, is now the chairman of Ventures. He is very much a straight shooter, is very active as a driver, and is a financial guy. It will be interesting to see what shakes out.

Get rid of Pro. Get rid of at least 30% of the National staff. How does SCCA have such a large payroll for such a relatively small staff. I added it all up earlier, and forget the exact count off the financial statement, but over 3 mil in payroll for fewer than 35 total people. I think you have some very over paid individuals, and a bunch of others who do all the real work.

Now, I am not talking about enterprises. By and large, the SRF community is very happy with what they do and provide (other than the cost issue, which the staff doesn't control). Plus, they have a whopping 5 staff members.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:58 pm 

RE the staff thing;Seeing as how 98% of our business is done on weekends, why are the offices closed on weekends?
Close tues and wed. open sat /sun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 pm 

I think the answer to why is simple, there are directors that don't want to run an amateur organization, not glamorous enough for them
Add to that they have a million or so dollars of someone else's money laying around and nobody is watching them. So they have some fun at the member's expense. They get to feel important and have a seat at Automobile competition committee for the United States and therefore the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile also, [ thats French you know] which I don't think they would be eligible for without at least one pro racing series
And you know all that is more fun for them than managing a cub full of weekend amateurs. Especially if you can finance the whole ego trip on someone else dime.
The pro series we subsidize now serves no propose for the membership anymore and I think it must be clear to anyone bothering to take notice that the current and past BODs and pro racing managers do not have the ability to run a profession racing series anymore. Maybe this was not the case in years past but times change and it is time to reevaluate the value pro racing has to SCCA.

rick haynes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:12 pm 

I was shocked at the convention when this was announced and nobody even blinked an eye..

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:33 pm 

I like the fact that we have a pro-level series for some of the better talented or at least the better funded members of our club. You wouldn't want to think that if you are a really good driver or at least had a good program that you "graduate" into some other club. Having said that I never could understand why a pro series would ever lose money. Entry fees have got to be a small, if not infinitesimal part of a serious pro-series effort I would think. Why should the sanctioning body ever take it on the chin to be able to put on a pro event? If you can't generate the gate to pay for the event, then you have to step up to the plate with entry fees.

I know nothing about running a pro event or campaigning a pro-level car, so please school me on why an increased entry fee would kill a series. If the fields would end up being too small, there needs to be a system devised to compensate for some of the underfunded teams. I am sure that something can be worked out that would be better than starving the sanctioning body to the point where they are being pressured to drop the series.

The people that run these pro series need to understand that the club doesn't need them to bring in millions, but by the same token shouldn't lose money either. The budget that is approved for these series should be cost-neutral, and the incentive programs for club management should be based on their ability to deliver this to the membership.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 pm 

In Trans Am, TA and TA2 there are people who have stepped out of club racing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVI1SObNy30

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14