prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Trailers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:27 pm 

I have been looking a little into getting a new trailer. I would appreciate any advice on who is building the best trailers right now. I am looking at enclosed trailers and would like to hear any thoughts on what anyone else has found on trailers they have purchased. Why you would or maybe wouldn't buy a trailer for any company.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: New Trailers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:26 am 

Don't buy a "big brand name" trailer over some other lesser known units. We've owned 4 Featherlite trailers over the past 40 years. The 20 ft box which we have now is a '90 which is a beautifully built built unit and an '07 open that we had to do some severe modifying to make usable. Turns out Featerlite doesn't build it's own trailers any more, manufacturing farmed out to American Trailers which turns out "put your own brand on it" units. Do research, ask questions, talk to manufacturers. There are companies turning out reasonably priced, good quality stuff out there. Two other thoughts, don't buy too small just because of price. Our 20 footer wasn't cheap but if we'd bought anything less we would never been able to carry all the stuff necessary for racing. Our trailers are all aluminum. Don't let anyone tell you they are lighter than steel framed because unless you buy Peter Brock's super trailer they aren't.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Hess on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:57 am 

Brian:

FWIW, I DID buy Peter Brock's "super trailer" and love it. It is pricey though...

Rick

#27 FP MGB
#27 FP Miata
#0 ChampCar TR6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 am 

My Bravo Star trailer has been terrific. It is made in Indiana, in the Bravo factory. Run by a racing family - maybe you have heard of Danny Bender or Mitch Bender in other SCCA classes.

I recommend really looking at other racers, and understanding the options that you want and need.

Mine was special ordered with the tire racks, added tie downs and chock for the scooter, interior lights, rubber floor, acrylic walls, and winch prep. Because we "camp" in the trailer, also got electric outlets, an RV door, more interior lights, and better insulation, so it is not a "hot box".

Good luck,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:52 am 

Brian,
I'll make you a great deal on my 36' gooseneck. It may look like too much trailer for you but its easy to tow and has all the room you need for any extras. I know you so I'll finance it for you. That will allow it to "stay in the family" so to speak. Email me at hdf3.wtr80@gmail.com and we'll work something out.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18825

Dayle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:37 pm 

Intech just started my new trailer. Probably not cheap but a great process to make sure you get what you want

Ex #8 HP Spitfire 1500 (it's happy at its new home)
#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:39 am 

What ever you buy get the heaviest axles available, usually 7000# and 16 inch wheels. I am convinced it helps prevent tire blowouts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:46 am 

Aaron Johnson wrote:
Intech just started my new trailer. Probably not cheap but a great process to make sure you get what you want

Second that for Intech. Just got mine in Jan. - All aluminum.

I looked at several brands along the way and liked how accommodating Intech was with the design process, we went back and forth with prints before signing off on them. I didn't get too crazy with customization but just enough that I know I got what I wanted. It took me forever to make a decision but the build quality and craftsmanship seemed to push me to Intech. Also working with a dealer that has racing experience helps too. I worked with Victory Custom Trailers (Michigan)-Chris Hettinger. It's the little things like moving the tongue jack back a few inches to be able to clear the tailgate that sometimes you don't consider unless you've had the problem before.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:33 am 

Dick Barlow wrote:
What ever you buy get the heaviest axles available, usually 7000# and 16 inch wheels. I am convinced it helps prevent tire blowouts.

The big kicker there are the 16" tires which can be supplied much heavier-duty than the 15" E-load tires I blow on regular occasion.
I'm ready to just replace the axles on my trailer and see if that helps. at this point, I average 2-3 blowouts per season, so the tires are never more than 1-2 years old with <5000 miles, but go blammo at the most inopportune times.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:38 am 

Matt93SE wrote:
Dick Barlow wrote:

The big kicker there are the 16" tires which can be supplied much heavier-duty than the 15" E-load tires I blow on regular occasion.
I'm ready to just replace the axles on my trailer and see if that helps. at this point, I average 2-3 blowouts per season, so the tires are never more than 1-2 years old with <5000 miles, but go blammo at the most inopportune times.

+1 to this theory. The heavier duty the axle, the heavier duty the tire that can go on it. I had a few issues on my 22’ w/ 3500 pound ‘standard duty’ axles. Never had any issues on the 36’ with 7500 pound axles......even though it travelled 4x the miles.

Dayle