prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2019 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another racer cost
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:50 pm 

I welcome it. I hate to admit it but I have missed flags (in hard to see spots) and I’ve also seen flags that were wrong. Someone still has to spot the track. So I don’t see flaggers (maybe signalers?) going away. But please, no subscriptions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:48 pm 

VWRalf wrote:
I wouldn't mind having a system like that as long as one isn't required to use just one companies device. There needs to be some competitive companies to keep costs down. Just look at used prices of AMB transponders to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.

Given that these units are position-aware based on the description above, I believe they could also be designed to serve as transponders for lap timing purposes. this would benefit race control/ T&S
and racers twofold....

If the little magic corner worker box on the dashboard goes out, the driver stops getting laps timed and is either black flagged or not scored. it's incentive to the driver to ensure this widget stays powered up and working.

The racers now have a single device of similar cost which would perform multiple tasks AND give them an indication of problem with their transponder.. :shrug:

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:46 pm 

Will the workers still flag and this thing go off for example a yellow flag situation or will it be one or the other?

#10 HP SEDiv 1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
#73 HP SEDiv 1984 Honda CRX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:12 pm 

How do you police a pass under yellow?

Ex #8 HP Spitfire 1500 (it's happy at its new home)
#08 EP Honda S2000
Member #310579

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:29 pm 

You're getting ahead of it but they will have GPS so control will know passes under yellow, whether you slow down for yellow and eventually can be used for timing. But, the initial units may not have all the bells and whistles. The corner workers will be able to control the signal as will the tower. Having direct eyes on each incident is still important so I've heard nothing that says this will replace corner personnel.

Again and I emphasize, we are just trying to improve the safety of our sport and a simple in car signal may be a good start.

And be clear, as far as I know, only the SEDiv SCCA is currently looking at this seriously. This is not from the National office so don't start with the black helicopters, etc. Hopefully, we will be able to give this a trial run at an event this year. And it may only be for a couple of groups rather than everyone. It will depend on what we can work out with the developers and what costs they have to incur. I do know that a couple of tracks are also looking at this for their track days.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:13 pm 

I am really against subscription services.. it simply legalizes vampires to suck for life. The cost to evaluate is the total cost of ownership including 5 or 10 years of "subscription" sucking... just look at the current AMB rip. I think a flag box would be okay if it was a one time purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:44 pm 

Yes, they are talking about direct purchase. Not sure about subscription yet nor are they. They need to work out a cost and like any other business, term plan. I did discuss possibility of group subscription or license. Again, we are getting ahead of the product.

I promise I will keep all of you advised and will pass any concerns back to the developers. Again, they are involved in road racing and understand what we are all about. And as soon as they have something on line, I'll give you the link so you can see what is happening.

Agree we can learn something from the AMB deal and that was discussed in our meetings. BTW, this was at the SEDiv annual meeting at St Simons on Feb 2nd and was presented all day long including a special presentation to the Stewards and the F & C workers. In our open competition meeting, we spent a lot time in question and answer from drivers present. Lot's of good exchange.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:17 pm 

I think this is a great idea,,, as long as it is implemented nothing like the AMB monopoly Im all for it. I dont see a downside.

88 BMW M3 - SPU #98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:38 am 

After some searching, I'll retract my earlier statement. I would rather see some track lights instead of a light in my car. Why? Because I'm looking out of the windshield 98% of the time while I'm racing. I only occasionally look at my gauges to make sure everything is ok. How many of you have had a warning light come on and then wonder how long it's been on?
I have found two systems already available. http://www.raceamerica.com/# and https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pages/race-lights
These lights can be put closer to the track than a worker and would be easier to see than a small light on your dash. Since these are portable, they can travel to each divisions event.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:07 am 

I'd buy one now. Love my flaggers (what's left of them) too. Why not both.

#47 GT3 Mazda RX7
NER Regional Exec.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next