prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Another racer cost
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:08 am 

Looks like SCCA will be dipping into the racers pocket once again. The latest proposal seems to be placing a light system into each race car, to replace flaggers on the turns. While costs have not been set in concrete, initial costs seem to be running over $600, with an annual fee from then on.

Post subject: Re: Another racer cost
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 am 

Pro style .
I dont expect club to require it for some time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 am 

toolatesmart wrote:
Looks like SCCA will be dipping into the racers pocket once again. The latest proposal seems to be placing a light system into each race car, to replace flaggers on the turns. While costs have not been set in concrete, initial costs seem to be running over $600, with an annual fee from then on.

Where did you find this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 am 

Saw a presentation at SEDIV banquet. Cost was more like $250.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:01 pm 

I'd prefer to have lights at the corner stations instead. I'd rather be looking out the windshield than all of a sudden be distracted by the dash in an emergency situation, although I suppose the lights could be mounted above line-of-sight. How would a local yellow be handled with in-car lighting unless they had some type of proximity triggered (expensive) system? An in-car red light might be okay, maybe even a red and green - if the green goes out you'd know to look for a yellow somewhere?

Or better yet, we can have flaggers at the corners!

I can't say enough for the volunteers who support us, and would love to see better ways to incentivize them instead of spending money on lighting.

Rant over-

Former FP, now GTL for 2015

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 pm 

If that gets passed, you’re liable to see over 50% of the people quit. I doubt it will.

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Taylor Race Engr/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 pm 

Guys and Gals, I saw the presentation at SEDiv and this is not going to cost you a fortune. It will not distract you. It just might save you from damaging your car or your body. The modern tracks keep moving the flaggers further from the track making it more difficult for drivers to see them. This will be easy for you to see. If you can see a tach, you can see this.

Everyone who saw this at the SEDiv meeting including drivers and offiicials agreed it would improve our sport. Why would you quit just because of modern technology that could instantly warn you of a problem on the track vs some flagger trying to waive a flag to get your attention while your going over 100 MPH? The system will be activated only in the area where there is a problem and can either be controlled by the corner, the tower or both. It can show localized yellows, full course yellows, black flags, debris flags etc, and is only the size of a Go Pro camera.

At most pro tracks, flaggers can no longer respond to on track situations so nothing really changes. And they can continue to waive a flag for those who think they must have real flags.

As soon as the company developing this is ready, we plan to give it a try at one of our SEDiv events. It will be a low to no cost trial so we can see it in action. If it saves one of you from being injured, it is worth the cost. If you don't agree, then discuss it with your spouse or your family and get back to me.

The guys who are developing this are road racers and already involved with in car technology.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:47 pm 

I'm skeptical. I don't mind the device itself- yeah it might help raise awareness from some of the blind guys who can't see flags, but I also see this as one more step toward driving on an unstaffed track "to reduce liability" "because all the guy on the corner is doing is waving a flag" per the legal-eagles. Fires do not put out themselves, and I damn sure don't want to wait until someone in a tower flashes come blinky lights and waits for 30 cars to all be in a single file line at 40mph behind a safety car before they give the OK to release a wrecker to come pick up my BBQ'd body.

the people in white are an absolutely essential part of track safety and emergency response, whether the people in the tower are willing to admit it or not. If SCCA takes those guys off the corners, I take myself off the race track.

STU Nissan 240SX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:15 pm 

Like Matt said....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:34 pm 

I wouldn't mind having a system like that as long as one isn't required to use just one companies device. There needs to be some competitive companies to keep costs down. Just look at used prices of AMB transponders to give you an idea of what i'm talking about.