prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 948 bug eye motor advice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:25 pm 

I have been working on my mother’s 61 bug eye over the last few weeks 948 stock everything
I need some advice on the following
1) car is in a non heated space.
2) I have recently replaced the battery, starter relay, points, plugs, plug wires, generator and fuel pump.
3) according to some paperwork the carbs were rebuilt about 3 years ago for an obscene amount of money
4) I drained all the fuel and put in fresh 93 octane

What is happening is the car will idle but miss badly if I rev the motor between 1 to 2k...after awhile it will then rev to 2 k then miss between 2 and 3 k ...wait awhile then it will rev to 3 k then miss between 3 and 4K ....etc etc until after about 20 minutes it purrs like a kitten

Other than storing in a heated space any advice on what I could do / investigate to fix this

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:37 pm 

Check the points and condenser. could be krudded up from sitting. I also had issues with "new" condensers from Moss in my 57 big Healey. Wouldn't run worth a flip at times, other, ran ok. 2 new condensers, then went to 40 yr old pile of distributors, pulled a couple of experienced/aged jobs out, first one was the "fix"....new stuff just isn't good enough... Moss even sell a "best"/red rotor, because of issues with current std. stuff...

Assuming you know enough about the SUs to tell they're ok or not... free to move, not stuck...pretty much all needed to rev more...

Also, check timing/advance in distributor..might be stuck, out of where it should be...

I'd be going after the points/condenser, first. Coil is possible, but not likely... New condenser, doesn't mean "good" anymore....

Good luck.

Okie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 pm 

Jamie
I'd take Carroll Smith's advice and run away from the Lucas
My TR-4 distributor shaft was wobbling in the distributor and messed up everything.
Go for a Pertronix or Crane conversion
You may want to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning or run some race "gas" through them
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:09 pm 

Initial thought was vacuum advance sticking.

Second thought was carb needles. Original 1 1/8" or later 1 1/4 "? Doesn't explain change with warm-up.

Condenser always a possibly; and thermally sensitive.

Oh, the trials & tribulations of a LBC owner.

RJS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:33 pm 

Been a while since I tuned a SU but did you try giving it more choke/less choke? Be sure choke is hooked up and adjusted correctly. Somewhere in the back of my mind, this reminded me of a choke/richness problem. If more choke helps, then it maybe too lean. Spending a bunch on carbs means nothing unless they were fine tuned on the car with it tuned correctly. And if this is 1 & 1/8 stock bugeye carbs, they can be tough to tune. And make sure carb piston dampers are free and have a little machine oil in them.

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:49 am 

Jeff, at Advanced Distributors, built and sells the red rotors. He also does magic on a distributor rebuild. I had him build me a 8,500 rpm distributor that's a real beauty. We run the Crane ignitions in our non crank fire engines and they really work. Total carb cleaning is in order here too. 1 1/4 carbs a great update also.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:11 am 

Sounds a touch lean. Clean the carbs , maybe polish the side of the needles a tiny bit .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:23 am 

The fact that it eventually runs good takes a lot of possible problems out of play IMHO. I am with Jim and Mike on the choke or fuel mixture. If the choke is hooked up and you are using it, make sure that the jets aren't sticking in the out position and eventually returning to being closed. Use the choke cable to vary the mixture to see if it makes a change and push up on the bottom of the jets when the choke is off to make sure that they return properly.

#4 HP Midget
HP National Champion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:54 am 

Thanks Fellas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:11 am 

what they said...…..A series engines are super simple for the most part. You will find the culprit.

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"