prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gibson "Gib" Stine
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 am 

It is with a big lump in my throat to let everyone know that we have lost another great member of our family. On January 6th Gib Stine lost his battle with cancer at the age of 68 and taken his place next to the racing gods...on the right hand side because that's where all sports cars should be driven from.

For those of you who didn't know Gib, I'm sorry. Gib was an HP racer from the NE that made his race home at Watkins Glen and was the father of Jason Stine who we know of as a HP Bugeye driver and coordinator of the annual SCCA Runoffs 5K and Checkered Flag Dash. Although I did not know Gib for a very long time it didn't take long to find out he'd be a great competitor and friend. I'll certainly have my memories of drag racing him on the front stretch at WGI (It's not often two RHD Bugeyes do that anymore) and our last pot luck dinner with the Stine family at Mid-Ohio as we all stood around a half torn apart bugeye (mine) drinking IPAs looking for a gremlin, gremlin found and race won end of story. Gods speed Gib!

Gib's Obituary:
https://michaelebrownfuneralservices.com/tribute/details/513/Gibson-Stine/obituary.html

Jason has also started raising money to fight glioblastoma in memory of his father. I'll let Jason expand on this 500 mile journey to honor his father, read More here...
https://glioblastomafoundation-endurance.everydayhero.com/us/fuck-cancer-500

Post subject: Re: Gibson "Gib" Stine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 am 

Thanks for the kind words Eric.

Dad owned a Bugeye for 50 years and was a true LBC guy at heart. He and Mom autocrossed his first car for nearly 30 years before he purchased Ken Fahrbach's RHD Bugeye in 2000 and lived his dream by going road racing at The Glen. I have countless memories growing up at The Glen and watching Dan, Ron and Randy battle it out for HP honors, but by far, the best memory I have is of our first race against each other.

It was an awful, mid 90 degrees with 90% humidity July day and we were the last group of the weekend. This was back during the single race weekend format, so we had nothing to do but sit around and wait all day long in the miserable heat. By the time we were on grid, we were hot, sweaty, exhausted, severely dehydrated, and pissed that we were running so slow due to the ambient and track conditions. That was probably the only time in my life that I did not want to be at the racetrack. But, once the green fell, we forgot all about the misery of the day. We started racing each other hard, but clean, passing multiple times during each lap. I had a hell of a run through 10 and could've taken him in 11, but I made up my mind to lift and then pass him going into one. I pulled out of his draft on the front straight, and then saw the checkers waving, as I pulled alongside him and we crossed the stripe side by side, not knowing who was ahead. Dad beat me by 0.003 seconds.

Goodspeed #59.

I'm going to get 1" vinyl decals made with Dad's car number and his name. For those that would want any, please fill out this Google form and I'll send them off as soon as they're done (probably in the next two months). I'll also have a bunch of them at the Glen Majors race in June and people can stop by my car in the garage to get any.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wyUNM ... Ejrm9pOEb8

Attachments:
IMG_0267a.jpg
IMG_0267a.jpg [ 139.4 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Taylor Race Engr/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee

Post subject: Re: Gibson "Gib" Stine
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:14 am 

I have 250 decals with Dad's name and number printed. They're about 1"x1". I'll have a stack at Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen. Please stop by and grab some if you'd like, or email me at stine [dot] jason [at] gmail [dot] com with your address to mail them to. Thank you all for the kind words these past few months, and I speak for the entire Stine family when I say we are grateful to have the Production Racing community as our friends.

The following people requested some already:
Bartell
Krauss
Funk
Bayer-Broring
Linn
Campbell
Rettich
Boyer
Foster
Floyd
Vickerman
Camilleri
Heinritz
Elwell
Kelly
Zanner
Savage
Beierlein
Libecco

Attachments:
decal.jpg
decal.jpg [ 15.95 KiB | Viewed 988 times ]

#37 HP Sprite
Goodyear/Red Line/Taylor Race Engr/Stinnett, Padrutt & Aranyosi/Six Shooter Coffee