prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Larry Moulton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 pm 

Jim,

Thanks for the memories. Road Atlanta, the Run Offs, those were the good old days. I went every year from 1977 until it ended (spectator, Turn 7 Mississippi Region SCCA gathering). When I raced I loved the dip before the bridge and turn 12 flat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:03 pm 

Dragonfly wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for the memories. Road Atlanta, the Run Offs, those were the good old days. I went every year from 1977 until it ended (spectator, Turn 7 Mississippi Region SCCA gathering). When I raced I loved the dip before the bridge and turn 12 flat.

I may have missed a couple but remember the excellent Racing and the dead cat burnout at night

Integra FP #33

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:32 pm 

I was always busy at the Runoffs. For years, I did the paddock parking in addition to having my car, Toni's car and customer cars there. It's great to see photos like the one I linked. I had never seen that photo. Of course, someone posted a picture last year of the 240Z I wrapped around a tree. The caption said it all. "it just wasn't his day to go". Only accident I ever had where I didn't drive the car in off the track. I look back at that one and know I could have just as easily died. Someone was watching over me. And I didn't really know how badly I was hurt until three weeks after that when I pulled the belts tight on my FP car on the grid and knew there was no way I could race that day. Undid my belts and put the car back in the trailer. Took nearly two months for me to be able to handle the pain. Ask Toni about the dent that stayed in my leg for a year. People could not believe it when they could touch the bone just above my knee.

Nice to see all those great photos and share the memories from the Atlanta Runoffs. I don't believe it has ever been the same when we left Road Atlanta. Something about jamming 500 plus cars in that small paddock. No one had more than 16 feet wide. Heck, the rigs are almost that wide now. Thanks for all the comments and the emails. Yes, that Turner was fast and yes I was trying to jump the start. (got away with it, too)

V8 Road Racing Series Administrator
Runoffs Line Chief Tech Prod cars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 am 

Jim,

Picture you linked brings back fond memories. Remember you busting your butt at Road Atlanta Run-Offs to accommodate everyone in the limited paddock. Thankless job.

Always waited eagerly for Larry to make his appearance (mid-week) to see his latest, creative paint job.

Your picture begs the question: Where are all those cars / drivers today? Most of those cars were individually prepped & maintained by the owner / driver. Less so in today's fields.

My limited experience with Vintage racing suggests most owners / drivers do very little development, or buy it, and have maintenance done by others.

Remember starting with a few seasons learning about reliability; then a few seasons developing horsepower; then realizing handling needed development; then wanting more horsepower; then subtle suspension improvements; etc. , etc. Never enough funds to do it right. Finally a lot of fun 10-12 years in.

Different hobby than it once was.

RJS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:29 am 

Jim,
By any chance do you have any Runoffs pics of the following years & groups:
1977 - SSC
1980 - SSB

Looking for some race photos of my dad from when he ran there back in day...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:19 pm 

Wow!