prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Willow Springs Raceway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:42 pm 

Does anyone have any recent experience? I see they are still in business but it looks a little stark.....used up or decent? Thx, Jay

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:49 pm 

I think it is a very decent track. Some people complain about bumpy sections. I don't seem to notice them so much. I like the track because I usually am very competitive there. It is a good momentum track. Even though it has a two fairly long straights, my HP Sprite does very well there. I like turn 9 which is a high speed sweeper. I normally don't lift there and am able to pass a lot of cars in that turn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:59 pm 

Love the track! if you haven't raced there it is worth the trip!

Joe Harlan Member #175515

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:16 pm 

I haven't been there in - 30 years?!?- but it is a fast track with long sweeping turns, elevation changes and banking (turns 1, 2, 3, 8-9) but only one slightly blind turn (4- at the top of the hill). You see it all the time in car and motorcycle ads on TV. One thing to watch out for is rocks on the track- cars going off can bring back on fist-sized rocks (look at those ads or on-line videos again.) Oh, turn 8 is a large radius leading into the tighter turn 9. You must ride the left (banked) edge of 8 late in the turn and then dive right -at exactly the right instant -into the more-banked turn 9 to the apex and then out onto the front straight. It feels like you're a basketball dipping into the rim, going 90 degrees and then flying out again... Get the timing wrong at full speed and it's more like being thrown out the top of a blender!
Amazing enough, when it was laid out in the 1950's it was planned to run in the counter-clockwise direction, but was soon switched to clockwise. In the late 1970's -early 1980's Cal Club actually ran races in the original CCW direction. I both drove and flagged them. This was discontinued because one of the approaches to a turn was faster over a hump this way and resulted in cars doing some "flying" like the old SPA F1 track - and then they had to brake! Very unstable and dangerous.
Gosh, I'd love to be there again. Joel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 pm 

CalClub has one of their 3 Majors scheduled there for March 2-3. I ran there in 2016, but just didn't have the right (tall enough) gearing to be comfortable.

They call it the "fastest race track in the west"

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 am 

I had the opportunity to be at Willow Springs when Trans Am visited there in 2017 as part of the West Coast series. The amenities are rustic, but the track is FAST! TA cars were running 1:20-1:21 laps. We were there in conjunction with a VARA event. Everyone we worked with in conjunction with the track was very reasonable and friendly. It was my first visit, and I had an enjoyable weekend.

They have a $10/person gate charge for the weekend. This includes drivers, crew, spectators, officials, etc. It's an interesting way to generate additional revenue. Because the facility has so many different venues (main track, Streets of Willow, drag strip, rally cross area, etc.), they can get quite a few people on the grounds at the same time.

If you have a chance to stop in the main office - do so. It's a historical treasure trove.

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR

(editied to fix typos)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:03 am 

Jay:

Keep it on your bucket list. I haven't driven there since the mid-90s, but love the track!

Rick

#27 FP MGB
#0 ChumpCar TR6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 am 

great advice from everyone...…..thanks. Jay

"I am merely a visitor on this planet"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:56 am 

Just drove it for the first time this weekend at the VARA vintage race. Great track.