prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Huffaker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm 

Got the new "Sports Car" magazine today. Joe is the big choice to win his classes. He (as we all know) drives an MG Midget. What are we gonna do when he decides to get a Miata???

Russ.

Post subject: Re: Huffaker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:13 pm 

I think it will be a cold day in hell, before Joe decides to go to the dark side, even though he has built Michael Heintzman's Miata.

#95 GTL VW Rabbit GTI
2014 Runoffs Sunoco Hard Charger - GTL
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:51 am 

Didn't he build (or at least prep) Pratt Cole's also?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:27 am 

Russ Myers wrote:
Got the new "Sports Car" magazine today. Joe is the big choice to win his classes. He (as we all know) drives an MG Midget. What are we gonna do when he decides to get a Miata???.
hpmowog wrote:

Joe is the obvious pick for whatever class he runs, especially at his home track. He has been pretty focused on winning these, more than I've seen in the past.

Huffaker did some of the initial build on Pratt's LP FP Miata, which is now Sam Henry's I believe. I think they also did some of the early work on Terry McCarthy's EP Miata that won at Mid Ohio in the mid '90's. I think that one became Pratt's EP car - is that the one Jim Daniel's was driving a few years ago? Then there is Michael Heintzman's GT3 Miata that Tim referenced. So he is Miata savvy, but I think Tim nailed it.

Reading through SportsCar's Who Will Win issue made me realize how few of the non-left coasters were making the trip west. Sucks for those of participating and those that it's too far to travel. I'm curious to see if the Runoffs come back to the west in 3 years. But I digress from the original subject....

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:00 pm 

BLinn wrote:
Russ Myers wrote:
Got the new "Sports Car" magazine today. Joe is the big choice to win his classes. He (as we all know) drives an MG Midget. What are we gonna do when he decides to get a Miata???.
hpmowog wrote:

Joe is the obvious pick for whatever class he runs, especially at his home track. He has been pretty focused on winning these, more than I've seen in the past.

Huffaker did some of the initial build on Pratt's LP FP Miata, which is now Sam Henry's I believe. I think they also did some of the early work on Terry McCarthy's EP Miata that won at Mid Ohio in the mid '90's. I think that one became Pratt's EP car - is that the one Jim Daniel's was driving a few years ago? Then there is Michael Heintzman's GT3 Miata that Tim referenced. So he is Miata savvy, but I think Tim nailed it.

Reading through SportsCar's Who Will Win issue made me realize how few of the non-left coasters were making the trip west. Sucks for those of participating and those that it's too far to travel. I'm curious to see if the Runoffs come back to the west in 3 years. But I digress from the original subject....

Brian

In the Mazda R&D basement is the "original" Prod Miata, and the spare engine sitting on the crate next to it has a Haffaker name plate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:53 am 

BLinn wrote:
Russ Myers wrote:
hpmowog wrote:

Brian

I'm sure everyone has their own situation, and unfortunately distance is a big one (fairly or not) for many.
In my case I just blew my 2018 budget building the car a 2nd time for last year.
Hopefully going forward I won't need to take years off...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:37 am 

BLinn wrote:
(edited - mdh)

Huffaker did some of the initial build on Pratt's LP FP Miata, which is now Sam Henry's I believe.
- Yes, they did the suspension based on input from Pratt Cole and Ron Baker. Pratt raced that car, its first time on the track, at M-O in 2005.

BLinn wrote:
I think they also did some of the early work on Terry McCarthy's EP Miata that won at Mid Ohio in the mid '90's.
- Yes.
BLinn wrote:
I think that one became Pratt's EP car - is that the one Jim Daniel's was driving a few years ago?
Well, no to the firsr part. Terry's car was sold to Rodger Cook in Florida and he raced it for a few years. I bought the car from Rodger Cook and then had Joe build a new EP car from the chassis that hung from the ceiling in the old shop. From what I understand the chassis I bought was to be built into an EP car for Steve Hussey (Brian, you can check on this) which was from a new car with a dented rear fender as it got loose on the boat ride over to the States. It was purchased from Mazda and could no longer be registered on the street. For some reason it was not built for Steve and sat, or I should say hung, in Joe's shop until being built into my EP car.

The second part is correct. Daniel's raced Pratt's car at the Laguna Seca runoffs. Pratt's car was the first Miata raced in SCCA and it started in the SSC class. After he put the car on its roof at Sears Point, Joe built it into an EP car. This is the same car that Jason mentioned as being at the Mazda R&D building/museum. It will either have a sequential gearbox to match the 1997 configuration that Pratt won the runoffs with (which was outlawed in production after that race), or it will have a PBS MDR-1.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 am 

michael heintzman wrote:
BLinn wrote:
(edited - mdh)

Huffaker did some of the initial build on Pratt's LP FP Miata, which is now Sam Henry's I believe.
- Yes, they did the suspension based on input from Pratt Cole and Ron Baker. Pratt raced that car, its first time on the track, at M-O in 2005.
(This was an LP FP build)

BLinn wrote:
I think they also did some of the early work on Terry McCarthy's EP Miata that won at Mid Ohio in the mid '90's.
- Yes.
BLinn wrote:
I think that one became Pratt's EP car - is that the one Jim Daniel's was driving a few years ago?
Well, no to the firsr part. Terry's car was sold to Rodger Cook in Florida and he raced it for a few years. I bought the car from Rodger Cook and then had Joe build a new EP car from the chassis that hung from the ceiling in the old shop. From what I understand the chassis I bought was to be built into an EP car for Steve Hussey (Brian, you can check on this) which was from a new car with a dented rear fender as it got loose on the boat ride over to the States. It was purchased from Mazda and could no longer be registered on the street. For some reason it was not built for Steve and sat, or I should say hung, in Joe's shop until being built into my EP car.

The second part is correct. Daniel's raced Pratt's car at the Laguna Seca runoffs. Pratt's car was the first (or second, depending on what "is" is...) Miata raced in SCCA and it started in the SSC class. After he put the car on its roof at Sears Point, Joe built it into an EP car. This is the same car that Jason mentioned as being at the Mazda R&D building/museum. It will either have a sequential gearbox to match the 1997 configuration that Pratt won the runoffs with (which was outlawed in production after that race), or it will have a PBS MDR-1.

Mazda Comp graciously supplied us with a Quaife sequential so that will go in the car with one of the original Barnhard built 1600s...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:41 am 

Really cool history!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:09 pm 

I was in Sonoma this past weekend for the IMSA Porsche GT3Cup series and was able to go up to Huffaker's shop for a few minutes. Met Joe and we talked for a few minutes and I was able to look at the cars being prepped for the Runoffs. I did not look at the rest of the shop but the spridgets and the Mini were impressive. I know it doesn't sound very exciting but I've been going to Sonoma Raceway since 2000 and this is the first chance I had to go and find his shop. Being a lifelong Sprite guy to meet Joe and see the cars up close was very cool for me.