prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Best Vintage Tire?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:35 am 

Ron Bartell wrote:
Acme Speed Shop wrote:
Everything I read, or heard about radial race tires over the years could not be further from the truth, ……. I always heard I they would give on you without warning in a corner,....
Who ever told you that? We are not autocrossing here. Radial race tires are just as predictable as bias ply tires once you get the car set up for them and get used to them.

That used to be the talk about here for years, Joe Harlen for one, but we were talking about DOT type radials, tread as used in vintage rcing which I am sure are different than what you run/ran on SCCA prod car. Oh, and I agree with that you said 1000%.

James, you mentioned cost, and long lasting being two of the factors, if it were me, I would opt for a set of new Toyo R888R, they will be at least a couple hundred less than the TDs, and they last a long time, way more than the TD. I seem you remember your Midget, did not have flared fenders, as you used to run it in ITD, if that is still the case, then run the 185-60/13, if you have flares you can probably run 205/60/13, you can probably also run a gear higher if the tires are taller to what you run now. The MG experience motorsport forum has several vintage Midget racers that hang out there that can give good advice.

Here's a hot deal on the Toyo R888R in 185/60/13 and free shipping to boot https://www.ebay.com/p/4-X-TOYO-PROXES- ... 211&chn=ps

Also one of the beauties of running DOT race radials in vintage racing is you not married to the tire truck, you can shop for them anywhere, and of course for me a new deal is being able to mount and balance my tires locally, which was not always the case with cantilever slicks. Also Toyo just came out with a new tread pattern for the R888R, it has bigger tread blocks , like the Nitto. I just got a new set of Nittos, but will try the new R888R next set, as I have a connection on them to buy wholesale. I have two choices with my 205/55/14 I can get either the Nitto, or the Toyo in that size, the 13s only come in the Toyo R888R.

http://www.acmespeedshop.com
(864) 370-3000